Competitors

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just curious, are we allowed to "diss" if we already own an M2? I have one and, to put it mildly, don't particularly like its suspension and steering feel. Maybe the CS is that much better, never driven one... but I'm expecting a lot more from the Emira.
I have driven the M2C manual and DCT back to back extensively in the mountains vs the CS and it's pretty amazing how much more fun the CS is. The adaptive suspension soaks, where the Comp chatters and bounces over bumps, and the lighter unsprung weight and structural carbon roof makes the steering feel better, turn in better, and braking way better with CCB's.

I agree with posters above that the EMIRA will complement my CS. with lower center of gravity, NA feeling SC throttle response and mid-engined dynamics. I hope to keep both..

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If you once have been „spoiled“ by a perfectly working suspension system as a whole it‘s hard to ignore and you start comparing it to the mostly inferior suspension systems on the market, and the OG M2 has a much too harsh ride, especially at the rear. Losing traction at the rear is a constant fear, that’s why the best you can do is upgrading to M-Performance suspension which you can set to a much more usable daily ride setup, much more mechanical grip at the rear if you soften the rear.

But direct from the factory it‘s simply not that good imho. And we are talking about an M-car, so pretty compromised imho. The only good Stock suspension I can recall was in the Cayman R and Alpine A110.

So, what‘s my point? If the Emira rides that well because of double wishbone suspension, it will be a winner no one can really compare with, maybe only the Alpine A110 which is a brilliant car suspension-wise, but the little 1.8 turbo Engine is not that special which is a shame. I nearly bought one.

When I saw the Emira in the flesh I signed almost immediately. It must be the perfect blend of all I want in a sportscar. If the want is not strong enough after demo cars are available and I had a ride in it, I guess then I‘m done with Sportscars at all… 😂
We shouldn't confuse M2C suspension and engine performance with the M2CS. M2CS has adaptive suspension, lighter unsprung weight, at least 40 if not 60 more HP (Underrated), and stiffer with the structural carbon roof. That's why Chris Harris traded in his heavily modded M2C for a CS and kept it despite adding an M5CS as well.

That said I am so excited for the simplicity of a lighter mid engined passivel damped, lower center or graviiy car in EMIRA. Will definitely compare both and review on here when Emira comes.

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We shouldn't confuse M2C suspension and engine performance with the M2CS. M2CS has adaptive suspension, lighter unsprung weight, at least 40 if not 60 more HP (Underrated), and stiffer with the structural carbon roof. That's why Chris Harris traded in his heavily modded M2C for a CS and kept it despite adding an M5CS as well.

I haven't made a comparison between M2C and M2CS and their suspensions. I was referring to my experiences owning the OG M2 (original M2 with N55 engine, I own it since 2016). The M2CS is surely a different animal for almost double the price. If money was no object then I would also surely go for the M2 CS or even a M5 CS.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Ive been looking at a few motors of late and this one I wouldn't call a competitor but it is definitely up there in the fun factor stakes!!!!

I was originally looking at the original with the Harley V twin. The reviews for the newer Super 3 have just launched though:

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just got back from driving an Evora GT and Corvette C8 LT3.

Some context, I’ve driven (extensively):

Exige S240
Elise
981 Cayman and Boxster
718 Cayman and Boxster S
A110
Alfa 4C

So when it comes to sub-$100k mid-engine sports cars, I’ve driven pretty much all but these two. The order above reflects how I feel about them, from best to worst.

Same dealer had both cars, so I drove them back to back, and the fairly urban setting meant I couldn’t fully open the taps of either so my impressions are missing that experience. I started by driving the C8. I should mention I’m not a Corvette guy. I’ve never driven any generation, they’ve simply never appealed to me. I went into this with an open mind, but I’m not well researched in the car or how it works.

To me, the Corvette felt like a Cadillac. It rode very well, felt planted and pointy, but was a complete snooze-fest around town. There was absolutely no drama. I tried to coax some life out of it - putting it into sport mode and downshifting to higher RPMs but it still felt very docile and very, very mild mannered. Quick for sure, nice pops on a quick shift, but I expected much more V8 character. I was bored. If I wasn’t sitting in an overly aggressive interior I might have forgotten I was driving a sports car.

Also, I hate that hvac happy trail. One of the worst user interfaces I’ve seen in a modern car. I couldn’t even tell which vented seat button belonged to which side of the car.

Corvette seemed like it would be very comfortable to drive daily or long distances, but it didn’t feel engaging at all.

Sitting in the Evora couldn’t be more different. The interior is outclassed by the Corvette, obviously (and yet I still prefer the Lotus - corvette design is way too loud). From the moment I backed it out of the parking space I knew this was a bad idea. Clutch and gear shift were perfect. Felt like I had already driven the car for years. Pulling out on the roadway, it’s immediately clear how much more that car wants to play. How is it that the V6 sounds better than the V8? The induction noise! That gear shift! Perfect pedal placement. Got a little overzealous with my first rev match and the V6 screamed to life. Heart rate up and I’m already hooked. The steering feel, the chassis communication, it all felt very familiar while it was all but missing in the Vette. (Also, side note, I’ve heard the Sport suspension in the Emira is similar to the Evora GT and if that’s true, I can finally rest easy with my choice).

In the end, I think my disinterest in the c8 is justified, and I should have bought an Evora a long time ago. I should probably buy it right now as a stop gap. It also makes me even more excited for Emira.

Attachments

• 7AF4F8D1-5504-4B00-A324-00B218519400.jpeg
    7AF4F8D1-5504-4B00-A324-00B218519400.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 352202EC-875C-4284-9268-2EE8BF5EFA9C.jpeg
    352202EC-875C-4284-9268-2EE8BF5EFA9C.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 41
  • 57FF3CF6-B7C0-4DD4-9D37-8BC599ED7DD3.jpeg
    57FF3CF6-B7C0-4DD4-9D37-8BC599ED7DD3.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 40
  • C21C78AD-7895-4573-8FC9-0DA99F029F70.jpeg
    C21C78AD-7895-4573-8FC9-0DA99F029F70.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 073395EA-F464-476B-9D5B-C905C90B39D6.jpeg
    073395EA-F464-476B-9D5B-C905C90B39D6.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 57D987C1-548A-4303-A921-5726B0198FB2.jpeg
    57D987C1-548A-4303-A921-5726B0198FB2.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Exige S240
Elise
981 Cayman and Boxster
718 Cayman and Boxster S
A110
Alfa 4C

So when it comes to sub-$100k mid-engine sports cars, I’ve driven pretty much all but these two. The order above reflects how I feel about them, from best to worst.

Same dealer had both cars, so I drove them back to back, and the fairly urban setting meant I couldn’t fully open the taps of either so my impressions are missing that experience. I started by driving the C8. I should mention I’m not a Corvette guy. I’ve never driven any generation, they’ve simply never appealed to me. I went into this with an open mind, but I’m not well researched in the car or how it works.

To me, the Corvette felt like a Cadillac. It rode very well, felt planted and pointy, but was a complete snooze-fest around town. There was absolutely no drama. I tried to coax some life out of it - putting it into sport mode and downshifting to higher RPMs but it still felt very docile and very, very mild mannered. Quick for sure, nice pops on a quick shift, but I expected much more V8 character. I was bored. If I wasn’t sitting in an overly aggressive interior I might have forgotten I was driving a sports car.

Also, I hate that hvac happy trail. One of the worst user interfaces I’ve seen in a modern car. I couldn’t even tell which vented seat button belonged to which side of the car.

Corvette seemed like it would be very comfortable to drive daily or long distances, but it didn’t feel engaging at all.

Sitting in the Evora couldn’t be more different. The interior is outclassed by the Corvette, obviously (and yet I still prefer the Lotus - corvette design is way too loud). From the moment I backed it out of the parking space I knew this was a bad idea. Clutch and gear shift were perfect. Felt like I had already driven the car for years. Pulling out on the roadway, it’s immediately clear how much more that car wants to play. How is it that the V6 sounds better than the V8? The induction noise! That gear shift! Perfect pedal placement. Got a little overzealous with my first rev match and the V6 screamed to life. Heart rate up and I’m already hooked. The steering feel, the chassis communication, it all felt very familiar while it was all but missing in the Vette. (Also, side note, I’ve heard the Sport suspension in the Emira is similar to the Evora GT and if that’s true, I can finally rest easy with my choice).

In the end, I think my disinterest in the c8 is justified, and I should have bought an Evora a long time ago. I should probably buy it right now as a stop gap. It also makes me even more excited for Emira.

Exactly why I sold my 2016 Z06 and got a 2017 Evora 400. The Vette just didn't feel special at all. Fast as hell, but pretty blah otherwise.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score

Exige S240
Elise
981 Cayman and Boxster
718 Cayman and Boxster S
A110
Alfa 4C

interesting, especially as I thought the Elise and 4C were really quite closely matched in most senses and the 4C has a wider track too, so in theory should handle very well, plus only car there with a carbon tub. No manual gear box of course, same as the Alpine and most of the others I guess.

The two cars you just drove would also be the 2 cars I've not driven, although in terms looks, which are a factor for me, I would not now want to consider either of them or indeed any of them. To me it would be like knowing I am going to marry a hot model in a few months, but in the mean time I may as well date her mother while I wait.. haha.

The Elise will always be kind of cool looking, likewise the original Exige, the Alfa I feel also has quite a bit of style, but the rest look dated now, the mother. Still if you need some action, then sure, why not take the Evora for a long term ride.....

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ive been looking at a few motors of late and this one I wouldn't call a competitor but it is definitely up there in the fun factor stakes!!!!

I was originally looking at the original with the Harley V twin. The reviews for the newer Super 3 have just launched though:

I have been looking at cobras. If I didn't have the Emira coming I would get one

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
interesting, especially as I thought the Elise and 4C were really quite closely matched in most senses and the 4C has a wider track too, so in theory should handle very well, plus only car there with a carbon tub. No manual gear box of course, same as the Alpine and most of the others I guess.

The two cars you just drove would also be the 2 cars I've not driven, although in terms looks, which are a factor for me, I would not now want to consider either of them or indeed any of them. To me it would be like knowing I am going to marry a hot model in a few months, but in the mean time I may as well date her mother while I wait.. haha.

The Elise will always be kind of cool looking, likewise the original Exige, the Alfa I feel also has quite a bit of style, but the rest look dated now, the mother. Still if you need some action, then sure, why not take the Evora for a long term ride.....

I spent a weekend with the 4C, and a buddy and I took it to the mountains along with his Elise which allowed me to experience both back to back on the same great roads. The Elise was better at nearly everything.

Around town I was constantly frustrated by the 4C. The transmission was consistently in the wrong gear, pulling at its chain like a misbehaved dog. The engine note, while not unpleasant, had this weird resonance effect in the cabin that rattled my brain cells and gave me a headache if I drove with the windows shut, but also annoying buffeting with the windows cracked. Even more frustrating is after a day of the thing begging me to open the taps in the city, as soon as I did in the canyons it settled right down and felt docile. Like a cat that wanted to go outside but now that it’s outside it doesn’t care.

Not to mention, the 4C had glaring issues. Panels severely misaligned to the point of rubbing the paint off each other, overspray bubbling and flaking the paint right off, trim bits literally falling off when shutting the door. Build quality was a mess, and I say this as someone who has owned multiple Jeeps and Teslas. Like, my expectations were low but wow.

Looks-wise, I’ve always thought the Alfa looked a bit like a rubber ducky. A bit bulbous and awkward.

I feel like I should say something nice about it lol. Lovely steering feel and lots of occasion.

I agree with the looks of the Evora, but I must admit they’ve *really* grown on me lately and that GT in that color really had my heart skipping a beat in person. It was also attracting attention from every window shopper on the lot at a dealer filled with Aston Martins and Corvettes. Next to those cars it also looked smaller than I remembered. I think I’ve only seen Evora at Lotus meets were it looks like a cruise ship next to Elige, Europas and Elans.

So I too am waiting for Emira but I now fully regret not having bought an Evora before the pandemic market.

Attachments

• 9A994667-D032-43FD-B0D8-DFE04A558717.jpeg
    9A994667-D032-43FD-B0D8-DFE04A558717.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 36

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Exige S240
Elise
981 Cayman and Boxster
718 Cayman and Boxster S
A110
Alfa 4C

Not surprised at the outcome given that you preferred the Exige S2 (240) over all else before you taking this latest test drive. Power delivery aside, how did the Evora 400 compare with the Exige S240?

Good that you found the Evora's gearshift good ("That gear shift!"), which I expect it will be when compared to a Series 2 Exige. Cannot wait to experience Emira V6. (y)

Lastly, have you driven an S2 with the later 260hp engine? IMO, for a factory car weighing around 935kgs, that Is the perfect blend between appropriate power (for the road), balance and handling (especially with the Ohlins & LSD).

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Not surprised at the outcome given that you preferred the Exige S2 (240) over all else before you taking this latest test drive. Power delivery aside, how did the Evora 400 compare with the Exige S240?

Good that you found the Evora's gearshift good ("That gear shift!"), which I expect it will be when compared to a Series 2 Exige. Cannot wait to experience Emira V6. (y)

Lastly, have you driven an S2 with the later 260hp engine? IMO, for a factory car weighing around 935kgs, that Is the perfect blend between appropriate power (for the road), balance and handling (especially with the Ohlins & LSD).

I'll have to revise my list to add these:

Exige S240
*Evora GT
Elise
981 Cayman and Boxster
718 Cayman and Boxster S
A110
C8
Alfa 4C

It's pretty close amongst those top 2 and I suspect if I had the opportunity to take the Evora to red line it might be sitting at the top of the list.

Evora wins on:
  • Clutch and shift action. It was very intuitive right out of the gate whereas I had to warm up to the Exige. Granted this could have been due to age of components (Evora 11 years newer) or my experience with Elise and Exige prior has now made Evora feel 2nd nature.
  • Cockpit. More comfortable, better ingress / egress, more confident seating position and forward view (I felt closer to the front of the car in the Evora, and a bit higher above the road).
  • Rear visibility, hilariously. Evora's is atrocious but Exige is none.
  • General ease. I drove the Exige clear across the USA and was always on high alert because I felt like the car was always in danger - potholes, other cars, challenging side and rear visibility, ride height that made me very nervous about potholes etc. It's a defensive default. In the Evora I immediately felt more comfortable and confident to toss it around without that persistent anxiety. More akin to my old MX-5 in that way, where you can let your guard down and toss it around on the street.
Exige wins on:
  • Drama under 5k RPM. Much more noise and vibration and mechanical communication. Less insulation, no power steering, the Exige feels more like a race car. I didn't get the Evora over 5k but suspect it wins on drama when the V6 starts to sing.
  • Steering feel, perhaps obviously since unassisted
  • Communication of grip (at low speed anyway), the sense that the car is biting into the road surface. Evora maybe just needed some alignment tuning though.
  • Specialness? Both are very special but the Exige, especially in S240 trim with mega diffuser, looks like an alien craft. Combine that with the ceremony of getting in and out, how low you sit, the rawness - basically all the things I've scored against the Exige also make for more of an occasion. And that's the trouble with Lotus isn't it? At least when it comes to reviews. The stuff that makes them worse also makes them better in a way. It's why I'm not worried about the Emira vs. Porsche etc.

It's been ~6 months since I've driven the Exige so I'm going on a fading memory. I also didn't get much time in the Evora and as I mentioned, couldn't lean on it - so these are incomplete impressions.

The gear change in the Evora is a bit finicky, but I was nailing it before the short drive was over and it's all-the-more satisfying when you do. It forces you to think more about it, and that extra attention is ultimately extra engagement. When it goes right, it's beautifully right.

I haven't driven the 260, but would love to eventually.

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'll have to revise my list to add these:

Exige S240
*Evora GT
Elise
981 Cayman and Boxster
718 Cayman and Boxster S
A110
C8
Alfa 4C

It's pretty close amongst those top 2 and I suspect if I had the opportunity to take the Evora to red line it might be sitting at the top of the list.

Evora wins on:
  • Clutch and shift action. It was very intuitive right out of the gate whereas I had to warm up to the Exige. Granted this could have been due to age of components (Evora 11 years newer) or my experience with Elise and Exige prior has now made Evora feel 2nd nature.
  • Cockpit. More comfortable, better ingress / egress, more confident seating position and forward view (I felt closer to the front of the car in the Evora, and a bit higher above the road).
  • Rear visibility, hilariously. Evora's is atrocious but Exige is none.
  • General ease. I drove the Exige clear across the USA and was always on high alert because I felt like the car was always in danger - potholes, other cars, challenging side and rear visibility, ride height that made me very nervous about potholes etc. It's a defensive default. In the Evora I immediately felt more comfortable and confident to toss it around without that persistent anxiety. More akin to my old MX-5 in that way, where you can let your guard down and toss it around on the street.
Exige wins on:
  • Drama under 5k RPM. Much more noise and vibration and mechanical communication. Less insulation, no power steering, the Exige feels more like a race car. I didn't get the Evora over 5k but suspect it wins on drama when the V6 starts to sing.
  • Steering feel, perhaps obviously since unassisted
  • Communication of grip (at low speed anyway), the sense that the car is biting into the road surface. Evora maybe just needed some alignment tuning though.
  • Specialness? Both are very special but the Exige, especially in S240 trim with mega diffuser, looks like an alien craft. Combine that with the ceremony of getting in and out, how low you sit, the rawness - basically all the things I've scored against the Exige also make for more of an occasion. And that's the trouble with Lotus isn't it? At least when it comes to reviews. The stuff that makes them worse also makes them better in a way. It's why I'm not worried about the Emira vs. Porsche etc.

It's been ~6 months since I've driven the Exige so I'm going on a fading memory. I also didn't get much time in the Evora and as I mentioned, couldn't lean on it - so these are incomplete impressions.

The gear change in the Evora is a bit finicky, but I was nailing it before the short drive was over and it's all-the-more satisfying when you do. It forces you to think more about it, and that extra attention is ultimately extra engagement. When it goes right, it's beautifully right.

I haven't driven the 260, but would love to eventually.

Ok, this asks for a 3rd drive... in an Exige V6...the V6 rear end of the Evora combined with the frond end of the Elise/exige-4. I owned one and to me it combines the best of both worlds...slightly bigger faster better sounding car with all of the Elise DNA. But hopes are...that Emira will beat this package and be even better.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ok, this asks for a 3rd drive... in an Exige V6...the V6 rear end of the Evora combined with the frond end of the Elise/exige-4. I owned one and to me it combines the best of both worlds...slightly bigger faster better sounding car with all of the Elise DNA. But hopes are...that Emira will beat this package and be even better.

We never got any V6 Exige here in the states, so they’ve been elusive to drive. I would expect you’re 100% right in that it’s best of both worlds.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lately I've been looking at used AMG GT-C and wondering if I'd be just as happy or happier in one of those as the Emira.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Great comparison. I love to read these. I drove a V6 Evora GT Manual in a parking lot before I tracked an V6 Evora GT Auto. I agree totally with what you are saying. The Evora is just fun at almost any speed. I wouldn't be upset at all to have one instead of the Emira.

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Lately I've been looking at used AMG GT-C and wondering if I'd be just as happy or happier in one of those as the Emira.
I own one and while most of my cars are be changed after some time, the AMG-GT is just one of the best cars ever made and stays for more years to come. It is an amazing - very overlooked and under appreciated - supercar! Looks are classic and remain beautiful - car is rough, bold, loud, a wild machine with hot v8. I am a huge fanboy!

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I own one and while most of my cars are be changed after some time, the AMG-GT is just one of the best cars ever made and stays for more years to come. It is an amazing - very overlooked and under appreciated - supercar! Looks are classic and remain beautiful - car is rough, bold, loud, a wild machine with hot v8. I am a huge fanboy!
You both are not helping! Now I have another car to add to my alternatives list...which is very short. Although for the money, I would be torn because it is R8 V10 money. I absolutely love V10 engines, but that AMG GT-C is a beautiful and rare car.

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You both are not helping! Now I have another car to add to my alternatives list...which is very short. Although for the money, I would be torn because it is R8 V10 money. I absolutely love V10 engines, but that AMG GT-C is a beautiful and rare car.
Go and see one and test-drive it. Either you love it or don't like it at all. It is a very bold car, not build to please everyone! But once you get a taste of it and long for more...you will be hooked :)

Good luck!

52210461330_95efdd3a1c_b.jpg

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I'm not 100% on the looks personally but I agree it's overlooked and because of it, prices are reasonable. As the market cools off a bit a GT-C would be a serious bargain. It's not light but it has loads of power and torque to make up for it and what seems like a fantastic chassis.