• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Reliability of German marques

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Many owners sell their German vehicles within a few years after the warranty expires. I'd be surprised if your German cars are kept for 10-20 years without any issues. In fact, I'd contact the Guiness book of world records to see if anyone else was so lucky! :sneaky:
Im driving a 2010 v10 R8 and no issues. I have been enjoying for 3 years now. Bought new golf R owned for five years trouble free. I think you are wrong. Sorry.

OP
Concept24

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Let's take a look at an example of a car for which Consumer Reports has thousands of owner surveys, regarding reliability.
Of the 17 categories, the Audi A6 has "well below average" ratings in many for years 2013 through 2016 (all after the warranties expired). For the 2015 model year, categories with well below ratings are:
Engine, Major
Engine, Minor
Engine, Cooling
Electrical
Exhaust
Power equipment.
Almost every year A6 had issues with the fuel system and brakes.
If anyone thinks this is somehow excellent reliability, you need only look at the same categories for a Lexus ES350 or 300h to see the massive difference.

Last edited:

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Let's take a look at an example of a car for which Consumer Reports has thousands of owner surveys, regarding reliability.
Of the 17 categories, the Audi A6 has "well below average" ratings in many for years 2013 through 2016 (all after the warranties expired). For the 2015 model year, categories with well below ratings are:
Engine, Major
Engine, Minor
Engine, Cooling
Electrical
Exhaust
Power equipment.
Almost every year A6 had issues with the fuel system and brakes.
If anyone thinks this is somehow excellent reliability, you need only look at the same categories for a Lexus ES350 or 350h to see the massive difference.
I tend to follow my real life experience which has been overwhelmingly positive. You might be correct but for me nothing but positive for German engineering.

OP
Concept24

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
There is a Ted Talk presentation by a guy who pointed out that many tend to base their views on a very tiny data set, comprised of their own experience and that of some family members or friends.
We are often surprised when these experiences do not parallel those represented by a much larger data set.
CR reveals what is common, given a much larger data set. I'm glad you have had good luck with your Audi. (y)

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
There is a Ted Talk presentation by a guy who pointed out that many tend to base their views on a very tiny data set, comprised of their own experience and that of some family members or friends.
We are often surprised when these experiences do not parallel those represented by a much larger data set.
CR reveals what is common, given a much larger data set. I'm glad you have had good luck with your Audi. (y)
This reminds me of living in AZ. I was looking for a tailor. I read yelp reviews and they said the owner was a horrible mean old Asian lady. Reviews said she was super nasty. I decided to try anyway because of location. Turns out she was the nicest lady I ever met. Greeted me at the door and did outstanding work. If I had followed the data set I would have missed out on a great tailor. I used her many times. Not sure if Yelp counts as a data set but it made me think of it.

OP
Concept24

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
This reminds me of living in AZ. I was looking for a tailor. I read yelp reviews and they said the owner was a horrible mean old Asian lady. Reviews said she was super nasty. I decided to try anyway because of location. Turns out she was the nicest lady I ever met. Greeted me at the door and did outstanding work. If I had followed the data set I would have missed out on a great tailor. I used her many times. Not sure if Yelp counts as a data set but it made me think of it.
I'm not sure if ever filled out a CR questionnaire, but I can assure you it is quite extensive - far more so than most yelp entries. Perhaps that Asian lady was having home issues that were resolved before you met her.