Competitors

Wizardwings

Emira Fan
Reaction score
GT3 Manual… race car for the street, mega addictive, 911’s are soooooo good. If there would be one weekend car left in the garage it would be a GT3 Manual…

458 Spider… best Ferrari I owned…super comfortable, spider so supernise for sunny days…very beautiful.

For me the perfect 2 car garage for weekend rides…
Two of the best cars ever made!

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
GT3 Manual… race car for the street, mega addictive, 911’s are soooooo good. If there would be one weekend car left in the garage it would be a GT3 Manual…

458 Spider… best Ferrari I owned…super comfortable, spider so supernise for sunny days…very beautiful.

For me the perfect 2 car garage for weekend rides…
Very nice - mine's a 911 C4S (and my daily) and a 488 Spider, but I agree, a great combination. Interesting that you moved your Exige on to make room for the Emira; I wasn't impressed when I saw the Emira, pulled my deposit and bought an Elise which I am super-happy with.

A couple of thoughts. There's a prevailing view that 'supercars' are fragile and expensive to maintain. Well my Ferrari costs less to insure than my Porsche. Both are the same age, I've owned them both for one year. The 911 had a complete coolant system failure which had to be replaced (under warranty) and a £1,800 service. My Macan Turbo also had major warranty work (failure in the sports exhaust, the whole lot needed to be replaced). The Ferrari? It's been absolutely bulletproof for the 4000 miles I covered in the last year. Total maintenance cost: £50 for its MOT at the main dealer - all Ferraris come with 7 years' maintenance included.

And the Elise? More fun than I think the Emira could ever have been. It's a serious track car; I've done 8 or 9 track days in the last year, two full days of tuition and am taking my ARDS Race Competition Licence test next week!

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Very nice - mine's a 911 C4S (and my daily) and a 488 Spider, but I agree, a great combination. Interesting that you moved your Exige on to make room for the Emira; I wasn't impressed when I saw the Emira, pulled my deposit and bought an Elise which I am super-happy with.

A couple of thoughts. There's a prevailing view that 'supercars' are fragile and expensive to maintain. Well my Ferrari costs less to insure than my Porsche. Both are the same age, I've owned them both for one year. The 911 had a complete coolant system failure which had to be replaced (under warranty) and a £1,800 service. My Macan Turbo also had major warranty work (failure in the sports exhaust, the whole lot needed to be replaced). The Ferrari? It's been absolutely bulletproof for the 4000 miles I covered in the last year. Total maintenance cost: £50 for its MOT at the main dealer - all Ferraris come with 7 years' maintenance included.

And the Elise? More fun than I think the Emira could ever have been. It's a serious track car; I've done 8 or 9 track days in the last year, two full days of tuition and am taking my ARDS Race Competition Licence test next week!
Love the insight! Thanks for sharing. 488 is a beautiful car. If the Emira doesn't excite me then I guess it will be sold and I'll take the next step towards something that is more of a supercar.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Quite refreshing to read this. The Emira will likely be a great car to drive but it’s very unlikely to be a better drivers car than the Elise, Exige or Evora.

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Never had a Porsche but the Cayman 4.0 GTS surely gets some good reviews.
I suppose the one advantage with the Emira is that they will unlikely be face lifting the car like Porsche does regularly, making the Emira a Timeless classic in the same way as other Lotus models are regarded.
All signs point to the 718 being the last of the ice Cayman

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score

I think its all relative, like everything. I had an Elise cup 250 brand new, never liked it much as it didnt excite me at all, but I was coming from a Westfield with a bit more power and half the weight, although in turn having said that, I got rid of that as the turbo engine was boring compared to the previous NA engine which had a great sound, which the Elise misses terribly.
Also had/have porsches and found them bullet proof..... But any individual experiences are limited in the grand scheme of things, I think the JD surveys out there show the reality more than we can.
I thought about getting a ferrari, when I had money..... but I never liked the "in your face" side of it and also I would be dying every time I parked it anywhere.. haha. Having said that, they are, or some of them anyway, cars that really make you want to drive fast... Which is good and BAD.
Now I am older and have less money, the opposite of most people, I am more reserved and a 911 backdate is my perfect car...ish, that and we shall see about the Emira

Zardoz

Reaction score

What is a competitor to the Emira? To different people, different things, Is it price point?, performance? exclusivity? appearance? how it will be used?
I did not cross shop any brand new sports/performance car. Nothing really appeals to me at the 100K range. I originally was looking for a 993 Turbo (400 hp). Prices on these went from $130-$160K to $250K in less than 24 months. I just did not see the value in that price & a 26 year old car will have expensive needs as time goes on. So passed on this, Next I considered a 2014 50th Anniversary 911, (430 hp). Limited #'s produced, 6 spd, Love the old school Pepita seats & modern take on the Fuchs. Again, prices have climbed to what I thought was an unreasonable level. There are also thousands of 911's on the road. so, it's just another 911 to the uninitiated. As much as everyone clamors about Lambo's & Ferrari, I just cannot get past the lack of a manual shift. If I can't row my own, Its a hard pass. That connectivity is too much of the part of the driving experience I desire. Furthermore, the thought of driving/parking a 200K+ car with a world full of horrible drivers, I would just have anxiety every time I took it out for a drive or destination. So, back to the Emira. It checks all of MY boxes. Gorgeous, check, exclusive(for now) check, 6-spd, check, 400 hp range check, analog steering check, not too expensive to park & walk away, check AND it will have a warranty that none of the other cars I would consider have.

Wizardwings

Emira Fan
Reaction score
GT4 (deposit placed, in case I can't get Emira)
GR Corolla (deposit placed)
Used Evora GT
Porsche 944
Audi RS6
Used GT4

Future:
Alpine/Lotus Electric
MR2 Electric
Future Emira variant

Out of my price range but want:
NSX
Which gen nsx?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Which gen nsx?

Gen 2 for sure. I also heard that Gen 3 was coming out. From all the reviews it just seems as though it would be a perfect car for me. I have never been in one though. Now I would rather have an Emira, even if the NSX Gen 2 was 100K USD. Certain cars just appeal to me, not really sure why. I will admit that servicing the car and not having something that is too flashy are big factors. Emira will be like me opening up my trenchcoat! :D A lot of flash.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
DeLorean?

#ForTheConversation
The Ioniq 5 looks more like a Delorean than the Delorean.

That's a drag, because Back to the Future is my all-time favorite movie and I've always had a soft spot for DMCs. Was really hoping they'd capture the zeitgeist and lean into this radwood / 80s boxy / cyberpunk / vaporwave aesthetic that's coming back into fashion, where the original Delorean sits naturally.

(funny that my autocorrect was insistent on vaporwave changing to vaporware)

But yeah none of that cool and a $175k price for $60k specs.

Last edited:

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Well, we got plenty of time. Let's see your 30!
Thanks for asking. Some are not exactly competitors to the Emira but I have a thing for elegant GT coupes.

Continental GT,
Aston Vanquish (especially the Zagato wagon) ,
the S coupe.
the SLS and SLR

Also would lay my hands of these if I had the extra cash:
The Hennessey Venom
The Corvette
The Evija (surprise)
Edit: +The Czinger

Also always had a thing for the XJ220 and F1 from the 90s.

Then like most people, I love several iconic Lambos and Ferraris, the Koenigseggs and Paganis. The usual suspects. So probably a dozen of those...

PS: In our part of the world luxury cars typically cost 2-4 times of US prices. So if we go by US prices the list will shrink a bit.

Last edited:

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Quite refreshing to read this. The Emira will likely be a great car to drive but it’s very unlikely to be a better drivers car than the Elise, Exige or Evora.

I drove my Exige V6 hard and on track...absolutely loved it! But my dealer - extremely fast driver - assured me the Emira is another level...much wider, more hp, better suspension and overall quality...he told me it is mind-blowingly good after driving it during EU dealer gathering in Hethel last month. But hey...he is a dealer, so what else could he say ;-)

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Competitors - I'd say M2 CS, 718 GTS at that price point, also Alpine A110 - none of those excite me though!
I own a manual M2CS. It is incredible. Literally the only thing I don't like about it is a slightly higher center of gravity than a dedicated sports car chassis. Otherwise it's a much faster car than the Emira in most circumstances, more rare, more practical, and perhaps even more prestigious. At the time I crossed shopped it against an Evora GT. While I absolutely loved the Aurora in manual spec, I really can get over the garbage interior. I now have a FE, manual magma on order due November and I'm so curious which car I will like better.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I own a manual M2CS. It is incredible. Literally the only thing I don't like about it is a slightly higher center of gravity than a dedicated sports car chassis. Otherwise it's a much faster car than the Emira in most circumstances, more rare, more practical, and perhaps even more prestigious. At the time I crossed shopped it against an Evora GT. While I absolutely loved the Aurora in manual spec, I really can get over the garbage interior. I now have a FE, manual magma on order due November and I'm so curious which car I will like better.

I hope we remember these posts and people come back and do their comparisons. I would like to hear you compare the FE against the M2 Comp. I do think you went a tiny bit too far on the more more and more. Lol