• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

The greatest bargain or a rip off?

Lotus Emira - Greatest Sports Car Bargain?

Votes: 10 76.9%

Votes: 1 7.7%

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Aren't Porsches ultimately just cars for people who can't afford Ferraris? And aren't Ferraris ultimately just cars for people who can't afford Buggatis? And aren't... ;)
no.... because then you get back to what you feel each car stands for...
the only ferrari I would consider is the Roma and the grill on that looks like a tin of tuna with some holes in it, other wise its nice. But, for me and my lifestyle, my friends, family and theirs, I would not have a ferrari.... would be like rubbing people's noses in it...
Buggati's are ugly things to me, I would not want to drive one....
Porsche's.... for me, my "style" or lack of, a GT3 Touring is just about the ideal car..... however, for where I live, narrow roads... same as the emira in reality, its not going to be that enjoyable to drive.
but yes I see your point, but would u really like to own a buggatsi? ronaldo...... shouty, look at me.... no... I'd no sooner be caught wearing a gold medallion haha

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
How do you explain Honda NSX? - All I am saying is never say never... While I do not think the re-design of a Miata will be NSX levels at all. But a mid-tier brand like Mazda does have the ability to surprise if they want to. Don't forget the original rx-7 from the 1990's is considered and loved by many enthusiast. When one shows up (in original condition, not all moded) at cars & coffee it does get respect. Is it on the same level as an air cooled Porsche or Ferrari, no of course not. Sometimes the Japanese brands can surprise the Euro elites. Not very often, but possible. Snobbery aside, I appreciate the engineering to build cars like these. While many would include the Nissan GTR - I am not a fan of it's look. Same as the Z, supra... Those are just cars to make profits, and feel too normal imo. But sometimes, like the NSX, Lexus LFA, RX-7, Original Supra (not this current BMW :sick:) from the 1990's, they bring something special and different. Probably not going to happen to the next gen Miata tho...lol

View attachment 8351
View attachment 8352
well... i am sorry to say it, I dont think I can think of any...japanese sports cars that makes me think, it didnt need design help... hold on, the one sean connery was picked up from the airport in.... in james bond.... in Japan, the ....what was it, cant be bothered to google it, Im sure you know it, probably a Honda... they cut the roof off as he did not fit in it, and there was no convertible. Dr. No.... maybe? Toyota maybe too..
worth a million these days, cant say that about many japanese cars.

That was a good looking car.... !

The NSX to me, sorry, but its plain ugly. IT well may be an amazing car, that does everything for you, best car on the road at the time maybe, but I would never have (never say never ..indeed) bought one though.
THere are very few German good looking cars... and very few, if any japanese cars that interest me (IMHO).
I understand what you are saying, but for me personally, I loved my Honda E, great design.. and if they made a sports car that good, then my never could be a solid probably.... electric cars give these companies a new lease of possibilities.... design wise.

no more photos of japanese cars please... i've just had my dinner.. haha

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
E Spain although I don’t embrace brand snobbery, I do embrace how you whole heartedly embrace it
hahahahaha...

thanks.. im not sure if thats good or bad....
I have had some crappy cars..... and I am not a multi millionaire like some on here, but I do appreciate nice design, in cars, buildings, domestic appliances even.... However, I also am careful what a car says about me.
In Spain, there is a limited car culture and in catalunya, people dont like to show their wealth too much, seen as in very bad taste, a bit like in Sweden. However, the lotus just about gets away with it.... and I will prove to be very popular.. haha... or maybe not

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
hahahahaha...

thanks.. im not sure if thats good or bad....
I have had some crappy cars..... and I am not a multi millionaire like some on here, but I do appreciate nice design, in cars, buildings, domestic appliances even.... However, I also am careful what a car says about me.
In Spain, there is a limited car culture and in catalunya, people dont like to show their wealth too much, seen as in very bad taste, a bit like in Sweden. However, the lotus just about gets away with it.... and I will prove to be very popular.. haha... or maybe not
You are the best good sir.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
E Spain I’d very much like your opinion
Is this repulsive? My wife digs it the most.

mvqnDQp.jpg

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
well... i am sorry to say it, I dont think I can think of any...japanese sports cars that makes me think, it didnt need design help... hold on, the one sean connery was picked up from the airport in.... in james bond.... in Japan, the ....what was it, cant be bothered to google it, Im sure you know it, probably a Honda... they cut the roof off as he did not fit in it, and there was no convertible. Dr. No.... maybe? Toyota maybe too..

The NSX to me, sorry, but its plain ugly. IT well may be an amazing car, that does everything for you, best car on the road at the time maybe, but I would never have (never say never ..indeed) bought one though.
THere are very few German good looking cars... and very few, if any japanese cars that interest me (IMHO).
I understand what you are saying, but for me personally, I loved my Honda E, great design.. and if they made a sports car that good, then my never could be a solid probably.... electric cars give these companies a new lease of possibilities.... design wise.

:ROFLMAO: ok no more Japanese cars.... I agree that from a styling perspective I prefer European brands. That is why we are all here! Edit; Toyota 2000GT - That was a beauty. Pretty similar to e-type jag.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Oh I see. I agree I tend to drift (pun intended) toward the fluffy side sometimes, absolutely I will own that!
It's difficult to describe how a car drives. I'm reminded of the maxim "writing about music is like dancing about architecture".

If you want to equate driving a car to listening to music (bear with me!), then we all have our favourite tracks (roads) and our devices for playing them (cars).

Sometimes we're happy to put on the radio or a random playlist and just listen to whatever is on. Often we won't pay it much attention, it's just a background while we do something else. It's the A-to-B journey or daily commute where we just need to get to the destination. The quality of the track and the player might be important to us, to a greater or lesser extent, but they aren't the main reason for the journey.

At other times we want to listen to one of our most favourite tracks. It has some kind of importance to us - memories it evokes, the quality of the composition or how it's played, some meaning in the lyrics, a catchy melody. For some, hearing that track played live is the pinnacle of enjoying it. For others it's about the most accurate digital reproduction of what the artist intended.

Driving a Lotus is like listening to that favourite track on vinyl, carefully placing the record on the turntable, hearing the needle drop into place and closing your eyes to focus on enjoying that piece of music. It's analogue, connected and emotional.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's difficult to describe how a car drives. I'm reminded of the maxim "writing about music is like dancing about architecture".

If you want to equate driving a car to listening to music (bear with me!), then we all have our favourite tracks (roads) and our devices for playing them (cars).

Sometimes we're happy to put on the radio or a random playlist and just listen to whatever is on. Often we won't pay it much attention, it's just a background while we do something else. It's the A-to-B journey or daily commute where we just need to get to the destination. The quality of the track and the player might be important to us, to a greater or lesser extent, but they aren't the main reason for the journey.

At other times we want to listen to one of our most favourite tracks. It has some kind of importance to us - memories it evokes, the quality of the composition or how it's played, some meaning in the lyrics, a catchy melody. For some, hearing that track played live is the pinnacle of enjoying it. For others it's about the most accurate digital reproduction of what the artist intended.

Driving a Lotus is like listening to that favourite track on vinyl, carefully placing the record on the turntable, hearing the needle drop into place and closing your eyes to focus on enjoying that piece of music. It's analogue, connected and emotional.
Well said Tom.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
no.... because then you get back to what you feel each car stands for...
the only ferrari I would consider is the Roma and the grill on that looks like a tin of tuna with some holes in it, other wise its nice. But, for me and my lifestyle, my friends, family and theirs, I would not have a ferrari.... would be like rubbing people's noses in it...
Buggati's are ugly things to me, I would not want to drive one....
Porsche's.... for me, my "style" or lack of, a GT3 Touring is just about the ideal car..... however, for where I live, narrow roads... same as the emira in reality, its not going to be that enjoyable to drive.
but yes I see your point, but would u really like to own a buggatsi? ronaldo...... shouty, look at me.... no... I'd no sooner be caught wearing a gold medallion haha
My point was just that you could say "You're only buying this car because you can't afford the more expensive car" about any car, really, even for different cars within the same brand.

I say, drive the car you like and heck what others think.

Then again, I'm also part of the problem because I too silently judge people for which car they're driving. 😂 I guess the moral of the story is, damned if you do and damned if you don't... 🤷‍♂️

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
:ROFLMAO: ok no more Japanese cars.... I agree that from a styling perspective I prefer European brands. That is why we are all here! Edit; Toyota 2000GT - That was a beauty. Pretty similar to e-type jag.
thats it... yes was a beauty..smaller and cuter than the E type perhaps.. almost like a mx5.. haha... but not. And probably one thing about it is the rarity, if there were thousands then I guess we would not want it as much.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
My point was just that you could say "You're only buying this car because you can't afford the more expensive car" about any car, really, even for different cars within the same brand.

I say, drive the car you like and heck what others think.

Then again, I'm also part of the problem because I too silently judge people for which car they're driving. 😂 I guess the moral of the story is, damned if you do and damned if you don't... 🤷‍♂️
yes... i mean the best car to drive is a go kart.. haha...

then we haven't even mentioned the classics...... the cars that feel fast without being fast.....
yes 718 is for those who cant perhaps get a 911, although......! I test drove a 911 991 (such a stupid numbering system) and thought it was nice, if not a bit bulky. It was a new one at the time... then I drove the 718 coxster as jeremy says and even with the 4 cyl engine, I much preferred it.
SO I thought to myself, why spend 40k more for a car I wont enjoy as much...... }. I went to scotland and got a used 718 S with everything on it...black red roof.... RHD driving around barcelona.
Kept it until I realised how much I missed the engine noise and gear change and linear power etc, but SUCH a practical car.....

If only they updated the interior... i'd be half way to a spyder's web by now.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
E Spain I’d very much like your opinion
Is this repulsive? My wife digs it the most.

mvqnDQp.jpg
Now you're putting pressure on.....bringing your wife into it. hah
Well I don't find it repulsive and from that specific angle, in fact I find it a bit Evora'ish, don't you think. The bonnet and lights work quite well, and the rake of the window screen, top black pack also. The wheels help it and yellow calipers are hard to beat on any car, apart from a NY taxi perhaps :).
For me personally the lower front is the damaging area, it generally is with American or Japanese designs, that and the back ... oh and the sides and underbelly too.. haha. No just kidding. The rather large side air intakes make the rear wing look a little oversized perhaps, but I am no Frank Stephenson, just like everyone else on here, you know what you like and what you dont...
If I lived in the US, I would not be unhappy to have that car... Living in the UK / Spain would change that opinion and I did live in the US, once upon a time, but not in the west (nice music to that film).
On a side note, if you were between that and the Lotus, then I would 100% get a Lotus.... if its a fill in, or an extra car etc, then I would be happy to keep her happy, Happy Wife, Happy Life
OR, as in my case....No Wife..Happy Life?

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
although... looking at this interior... some of it is passable, but this bit? Cheapest plastic...
I am sure if I were 30 years old (I wish) then the Z would be of interest to me.... but for the more descerning buyer, ie older and with a bit more disposable, I would not want to see this..

View attachment 8346
Is it bad that I can "hear" this picture.

It creates a rough scratchy sound when you run your fingernails on that plastic and make a distinctive "tok tok" hollow sound when you use a finger to knock on it.

Edges also have bits of plastic on it.

OP
L

LotusRising

Reaction score

This is a great mini video on that Toyota. The rest of these are very informative and fun if you’re into Cars and the host doesn’t get on your nerves.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Good post..... however your first sentence calls to mind the Eletre launch.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Or at least we hope it is (Emira) and we will soon find out from you early adopters