Stock Emira Wheels and Tires

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
my order was initially based on their stock fitment details for the Emira (PCD, ET Dia, width etc) I have to confess to assuming the seat taper angle would be standard. I went to some effort in checking PCD, CB, ET, but didn't check seat taper.
I made some alterations to the design of the visual appearance, but not the technical fitment.

I will be checking that both the std Lotus wheel bolts and my aftermarket titanium ones have matching tapers that fit snuggly together. I would have already done this, but the wheels were stripped and re painted in the correct gold (locally here), but on collection, I rejected them because there were some areas of this paint where the gold looked a bit anemic where the basecoat was a little thin, so they're being re done as I type.

Jon

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
my order was initially based on their stock fitment details for the Emira (PCD, ET Dia, width etc) I have to confess to assuming the seat taper angle would be standard. I went to some effort in checking PCD, CB, ET, but didn't check seat taper.
I made some alterations to the design of the visual appearance, but not the technical fitment.

I will be checking that both the std Lotus wheel bolts and my aftermarket titanium ones have matching tapers that fit snuggly together. I would have already done this, but the wheels were stripped and re painted in the correct gold (locally here), but on collection, I rejected them because there were some areas of this paint where the gold looked a bit anemic where the basecoat was a little thin, so they're being re done as I type.

Jon
Looking forward to seeing them and I hope they get the paint right this time. It’s a bit poor they didn’t notice the thin patches and a waster of their time and money.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Jon
Just out of curiosity I did a search, and I can't find anyone that makes a tapered lug nut or bolt with a 61 degree angle. All of them are 60.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Nicely finished and packaged.
My set just arrived in the mail. My Alfa Romeo Giulia uses steel lug bolts which are the same size as the Emira, so assuming they'd be representative of the weight, I weighed all 20 of those, and all 20 of the titanium lug bolts.

20 steel lug bolts weigh 2 lbs 13.4 oz
20 titanium lug bolts weigh 1 lb 8.4 oz – 1 lb 5 oz lighter than steel set

You're saving 5.25 oz per wheel corner with the titanium set.

And you're right; they were very nicely packaged and look great.

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Finally got them on..

Will take some better pics when the sun is shining and the centre caps are in.

Attachments

• IMG_4315.png
    IMG_4315.png
    566.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4316.png
    IMG_4316.png
    585.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Some sunshine..
Everythng looks better in the sunshine.

Quite pleased with the wheels, I think they suit it.

When on the balancing machine, they ran lovely and true, and the biggest balancing weight required was 35g.

Attachments

• IMG_4321.jpg
    IMG_4321.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4328.jpg
    IMG_4328.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Some sunshine..

When on the balancing machine, they ran lovely and true, and the biggest balancing weight required was 35g.

How does it drive? I don't know how much lighter your new wheels are, but do you notice any difference from the stock wheels?

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I believe they're 2 or 3 kilos lighter than stock, but I don't think for 1 second I'm of the calibre to perceive any difference in the drive.

TBH, for me, It's just been an exercise in preferred styling. From that perspective, it's been a success from my point of view.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I believe they're 2 or 3 kilos lighter than stock, but I don't think for 1 second I'm of the calibre to perceive any difference in the drive.

TBH, for me, It's just been an exercise in preferred styling. From that perspective, it's been a success from my point of view.
Being able to tell the difference would depend on how much time you spent driving the car with the stock wheels. 2.5 kg (5 lbs) lighter would be enough to tell. At any rate, as long as you're happy with them that's what matters.

I keep looking at different wheel designs from different companies trying to decide what I want to do. Since this car doesn't look like pretty much anything else on the road (other than a Ferrari or McLaren), I don't want to put wheels on it that look like they could be on any other car. They need to be special, not the typical Japanese JDM, German, or common after-market wheels. Since @Aerie seems to be able to do just about anything, this opens up the possibilities.

I want to keep the car stock for it's first 1,000 miles before I start modding, so I have time. In the meantime, it's going to be interesting to see what other people choose for their cars.

Julian73

Reaction score
Everything is alloyed and heat treated to suit (or not suit) the application. No one knows how well suited a "titanium" or "steel" lug bolt/nut is without getting in to the specifics. Even if the info-mercial says "aerospace grade"!
Titanium galls like stainless steel, neither are the best for threaded fasteners.

Julian73

Reaction score
Except lubricating threaded connects results in over-stretching as the torque figures are based on dry steel-on steel friction.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Except lubricating threaded connects results in over-stretching as the torque figures are based on dry steel-on steel friction.
Fine. You're right. You're absolutely right. A small touch of anti-seize is not going to save me. I'm going to do it anyways, but you keep reminding us, okay? I'm going to be taking my chances, but there's people who might read this that need to know that you are right. You're absolutely right.

Julian73

Reaction score
Just saying how mechanical engineering works in calculating tightening torques to set a clamping force by stretching a fastener to some percentage of tensile capacity, which depending on the application may be below or at the yield point and thus the reason some fasteners, such as TTY head bolts are to be replaced after every use and why highly lubricate fasteners may be stretched past the YP without knowledge.

Liquid Hot Magma

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just saying how mechanical engineering works in calculating tightening torques to set a clamping force by stretching a fastener to some percentage of tensile capacity, which depending on the application may be below or at the yield point and thus the reason some fasteners, such as TTY head bolts are to be replaced after every use and why highly lubricate fasteners may be stretched past the YP without knowledge.
You are not wrong that dissimilar metals such as titanium on aluminum could be prone to galling. There are methods to mitigate galvanic corrosion such as using anti-seize. Most titanium fasteners we’re using are also PVD coated, which is highly durable and acts as a thin passivating layer, further reducing the potential for corrosion.

And yes, it is true that over-tightening can occur with lubricated fasteners if one isn’t careful. The correct method would be to reducee the torque of heavily lubricated fasteners by 30% (of the non-lubricated torque target) so as to prevent over-torquing.

Even calibrated torque wrenches tighten fasteners to target measurements +/- 25%, so mechanical engineers do take that into account when engineering parts and specifying torque specifications for end users. These torque targets are nowhere near to stretching the lug bolts to their yield point if proceeding in a responsible and educated manner.

Last edited:

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Some sunshine..

Also in Silver....

Attachments

• IMG_4507.jpg
    IMG_4507.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4506.jpg
    IMG_4506.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4505.jpg
    IMG_4505.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 16