So I got to take a test drive.... :)

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
My BMW 135I convertible was timed to 60 miles an hour at 4.9 seconds by car and driver. It has 300 hp and weighs 1600 kg.

The lotus Emira has 100 more horsepower and 200 less kilograms so mid to low four second seems reasonable.

Was it really hot when you were driving it?
It was hot, for UK, about 27/8/9C yes...
I dont know, but as we have discussed before, Lotus tend to over state their numbers... see first lotus Esprit.... and porsche tend to understate.
I see your BMW logic which would imply 4.2 seconds.... for the lotus, but I also see car and driver say 3.0 seconds for the Jaguar F type... which I dont think anyone has ever seen in the history of that car, not even the R version.
Hence, lets see when some of the tracky / techy drivers on here get their V boxes hooked up correctly and test it in decent conditions, possibly next year. Im still betting no where near lotus's figures.. but hope Im wrong.

FrenchBred

Reaction score
i'd have to see that in writing from AM..... not even a UK manufacturer could get things so wrong..surely
The guy that told me owns an AM approved bodyshop, so I don't have any reason to doubt the fact, though I do wonder if he meant to say vanquish or another of the more low volume vehicles... 🤷‍♂️

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Jesus, the number of guys in this thread whose wives tell them what they can and can't do with their own money... 😳

Do you tell your wife what she can and can't buy with her own money?

Bill Burr once did a terrific bit on this kind of dynamic. Highly recommended watching:

$80k means diff things to diff families
My don’t ask the wife toy car number is probably $25k.
Ironically she digs these too
(but not in red)
QJg3BHI.jpg

Last edited:

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The guy that told me owns an AM approved bodyshop, so I don't have any reason to doubt the fact, though I do wonder if he meant to say vanquish or another of the more low volume vehicles... 🤷‍♂️
remember there are 2 vantages... "new" and old..... AM cant be that bad to do this on a "new" car.... or can they.. hah

Fasttoys

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The two people who actually drove and had seat time in the EMIRA both said power was just adequate

Initially I was put off by their impressions until I did some research for comparison.

I had a 2014 corvette previously (traded that in for a 2016 Z06 640hp corvette) and I noticed that the 0-60 times for the previous 2014 corvette that I had was tested to be 0-60 in 3.8 sec. That is a car that weighs 3400 pounds and has 440hp.

That 2014 corvette I had was stupid fast. Take that from me. It was way more than adequate.

There is no way that 400hp EMIRA weighing 3100-3200 pounds is just adequate in power.

I am a bit confused with the reviewers impressions of power. Who knows.... possibly they were not allowed to pop that car open. If the EMIRA is around the same 0-60 of 3.8 sec as it should be then that is fast.

I never felt the 2014 corvette I had was just adequate, that car was fast no joke. I traded it for the 650hp Z06 version and obviously the Z06 is even faster. But the base 2014 was no slug.

I think that if the two who drove the EMIRA were able to open up on a closed road they would better understand that the 400hp In 3100-3200 pound car is very very fast.

Just IMO
It all depends what the reviewer is accustomed to driving. My friend tracks his Evora 400 at Cota in Austin and he wished the package had a little more power and felt she was a little heavier than his 400. He drove the Emira in Austin after a weekend track event and is a little on the fence based on what he uses the car for. I love the car and for me it will be fine I just wished it had a little more power. i am brutally honest and not swayed by brand loyalty even Ferrari and McLaren has their issues. I had a C7 Z06 and that car was over powered for its frame/suspension IMO, the ZR1 version was absolutely crazy (Watch Mark Royce crash ZR1 pace car, tapping throttle) Another reason GM moved to mid-engine saying power was an issue per the engineers. I feel Lotus should have upped the power or made the Emira lighter than the previous out going version. They fixed all other issues with interior and fit and finish. The car looks spectacular, the RPM redline been reduced compared to the Evora GT. The package could handle more power, I love a balanced package it’s just at full wot am wanting just a little more.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
My BMW 135I convertible was timed to 60 miles an hour at 4.9 seconds by car and driver. It has 300 hp and weighs 1600 kg.

The lotus Emira has 100 more horsepower and 200 less kilograms so mid to low four second seems reasonable.

Was it really hot when you were driving it?
I bet the beemer was auto trans

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If you look at the power to weight ratio of the Emira compared to Evora 410 it is significant. Around 320bhp per tonne compared to 280bhp per tonne

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I have to ask how old you are? I ask because when I was a teenager a Mustang GT would do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and everyone thought that was fast. Now cars are a lot faster but apparently not enough for some.
True! I've had plenty of fast cars, but my favorite was my first car, a slow car (Datsun510) that taught me how fun corners could be. I'm hoping the Emira is going to bridge both speed and handling to offer a brilliantly balanced drive!!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Ha! My wife is actually dressing as Julia Roberts from Pretty Woman for our Halloween party this year and the idea all started when we thought I'd have my Lotus by now.
not for halloween, or xmas or even an easter bunny at this rate.. haha

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I figure, based on movie appearances, there are only two ways to find out if the Emira is a true spiritual successor to the Esprit. And I don’t intend to drive it off a pier into open water.
You’re forgetting the third one with two Esprits, but as it involves a scary woman with an ice pick you probably don’t want to try that one either!