So I got to take a test drive.... :)

LotusRising

Reaction score
having driven the car, with no limits road or demo limits, apart from my stomach.... I would state my rented house on this car not getting to the official figures Lotus produce, not unless its down a steep slope and Hurricane Sofia is blowing behind it.
There is no push back in the seat effect that I do feel in other cars which do genuinely do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds, repeatedly....... It does feel fast though as you are low down and with the noise and the fizzy drinks that have gone to your head, but I truly believe for most of us the 0-60 time will be 5 seconds at best. I cant wait to see the magazines do their best..... one youtube guy already did, from Birmingham (no not me) and it was no where near 4.3 or 4.5 or 4.7 if you stop watch it...

I hope I am wrong, but unless they have made changes ........
My BMW 135I convertible was timed to 60 miles an hour at 4.9 seconds by car and driver. It has 300 hp and weighs 1600 kg.

The lotus Emira has 100 more horsepower and 200 less kilograms so mid to low four second seems reasonable.

Was it really hot when you were driving it?

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The two people who actually drove and had seat time in the EMIRA both said power was just adequate

Initially I was put off by their impressions until I did some research for comparison.

I had a 2014 corvette previously (traded that in for a 2016 Z06 640hp corvette) and I noticed that the 0-60 times for the previous 2014 corvette that I had was tested to be 0-60 in 3.8 sec. That is a car that weighs 3400 pounds and has 440hp.

That 2014 corvette I had was stupid fast. Take that from me. It was way more than adequate.

There is no way that 400hp EMIRA weighing 3100-3200 pounds is just adequate in power.

I am a bit confused with the reviewers impressions of power. Who knows.... possibly they were not allowed to pop that car open. If the EMIRA is around the same 0-60 of 3.8 sec as it should be then that is fast.

I never felt the 2014 corvette I had was just adequate, that car was fast no joke. I traded it for the 650hp Z06 version and obviously the Z06 is even faster. But the base 2014 was no slug.

I think that if the two who drove the EMIRA were able to open up on a closed road they would better understand that the 400hp In 3100-3200 pound car is very very fast.

Just IMO
So I forgot to add that before I had the 2014 C7 Corvette that I spoke about in the above post, I had a 2005 Corvette also.

so,...... after doing a bit of further internet research its apparent that the 2005 Corvette specs show the 2005 Corvette I had weighs 3175 wet and had 400HP.

Turns out that the 2005 Corvette I had is actually extremely close in spec to the EMIRA in HP and weight as a performance reference point. Almost spot on except the Corvette is front engine vs the EMIRA is rear engine which is even better actually in power delivery.

OMG was that 2005 Corvette was a total BEAST. What a rocket that 2005 Corvette was. AS mentioned, I still have a Dodge Viper with 650Hp and a 2016 C7 Z06 Corvette with 650HP also and those are crazy quick like cocaine, but cocaine can get you in trouble. I was never disappointed or wanting more that what that 2005 Corvette gave me in power. Obviously I upgraded in power with my Z06 C7 at 650HP, but I only did because it was offered, not because I was ever disappointed with the 400HP the 2005 Corvette had and not because I needed more power. Hey, if GM offers more power in the Corvette, of course I am going to take it, but its not like I was in need of more power.

What I am stating is that the 2005 Corvette was super strong and real fast and if it matches the EMIRA in specs, then no one should ever complain about the 400Hp in the EMIRA.

I still miss that yellow 2005 Corvette. I sold it to get the 2014 first year 2014 C7 only because the interior on the C7 was so much better than the 2005 interior that looked like the dash and doors inside panels were made out of recycled black garage bags, And the C7 was much more refined in Noise, harshness, and driveline lash.

I truly doubt that the EMIRA will be lacking in power. If I use my 2005 Corvette as a rough reference point, then everyone will be happy. I think no test driver has yet popped the car open and power shifted.

Using that 2005 Corvette as a reference point..... there is no way when you smash your foot to the floor that you will be dissapointed in the EMIRAs power.

2005 Corvette specs are 3175lbs, 400HP, 437TQ, 0-60 in 4.3 (Front engine)

EMIRA specs are ~3097lbs , 400HP, 430TQ, 0-60 in ? (rear/mid engine)

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Jesus, the number of guys in this thread whose wives tell them what they can and can't do with their own money... 😳

Do you tell your wife what she can and can't buy with her own money?

Bill Burr once did a terrific bit on this kind of dynamic. Highly recommended watching:

OP
Shyatic

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I forgot to add that before I had the 2014 C7 Corvette that I spoke about in the above post, I had a 2005 Corvette also.

so,...... after doing a bit of further internet research its apparent that the 2005 Corvette specs show the 2005 Corvette I had weighs 3175 wet and had 400HP.

Turns out that the 2005 Corvette I had is actually extremely close in spec to the EMIRA in HP and weight as a performance reference point. Almost spot on except the Corvette is front engine vs the EMIRA is rear engine which is even better actually in power delivery.

OMG was that 2005 Corvette was a total BEAST. What a rocket that 2005 Corvette was. AS mentioned, I still have a Dodge Viper with 650Hp and a 2016 C7 Z06 Corvette with 650HP also and those are crazy quick like cocaine, but cocaine can get you in trouble. I was never disappointed or wanting more that what that 2005 Corvette gave me in power. Obviously I upgraded in power with my Z06 C7 at 650HP, but I only did because it was offered, not because I was ever disappointed with the 400HP the 2005 Corvette had and not because I needed more power. Hey, if GM offers more power in the Corvette, of course I am going to take it, but its not like I was in need of more power.

What I am stating is that the 2005 Corvette was super strong and real fast and if it matches the EMIRA in specs, then no one should ever complain about the 400Hp in the EMIRA.

I still miss that yellow 2005 Corvette. I sold it to get the 2014 first year 2014 C7 only because the interior on the C7 was so much better than the 2005 interior that looked like the dash and doors inside panels were made out of recycled black garage bags, And the C7 was much more refined in Noise, harshness, and driveline lash.

I truly doubt that the EMIRA will be lacking in power. If I use my 2005 Corvette as a rough reference point, then everyone will be happy. I think no test driver has yet popped the car open and power shifted.

Using that 2005 Corvette as a reference point..... there is no way when you smash your foot to the floor that you will be dissapointed in the EMIRAs power.

I think the thing to note for me, at least -- is that I didn't care about the power from a 0-60 perspective. I didn't redline the car when driving (wanted to be courteous to the drivers after me), and plus -- my real questions were the stability around corners, its handling, steering feedback and visibility for potential track days.

I realized every time I was in the higher end of the rev band I always had power when I needed it -- but since my goals were different than many others may be, my review may not be the best for them.

For me, the car was super powerful and that's coming from a guy who's had BMW M cars (for what it's worth). The handling and feedback however, were next level -- and what assured me that the car is the *one* to get for me. I am not able to be as spendy as some other folks here who are cross shopping a sub $100k car with cars far, far more expensive so I'm very thoughtful as to what I'm spending my money on because frankly -- I don't expect to have another car like it for a very long time.

Your mileage may vary :)

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Sorry, Emira is only about 315 ft lbs torque, the 420 is newton- meters. That will make a big difference from the Vette.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Jesus, the number of guys in this thread whose wives tell them what they can and can't do with their own money... 😳

Bill Burr once did a terrific bit on this kind of dynamic. Highly recommended watching:

I'm a simple man. I see Bill Burr, I upvote.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm a simple man. I see Bill Burr, I upvote.
Ok no hyperbole. I actually did laugh my ass off.
Been there, didn't do that.

Another comic long ago told this story about a fight:
She -Well, now we're not having sex!
He - What do you mean, we?

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Maybe the reason we've been married 44years is we figure it's "our" money? It's never been about "mine" or "yours" except in the panty (knickers for my friends across the pond) drawer...:)

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Maybe the reason we've been married 44years is we figure it's "our" money? It's never been about "mine" or "yours" except in the panty (knickers for my friends across the pond) drawer...:)
Hey, as long as you dip into her funds as often as she dips into your funds, then I have no problem with "our money"! :)

But if it only works in one direction then that's simply referred to as "her money". 😄

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

I know it absolutely makes me laugh I usually tell my husband after the event or he really doesn’t realise what I’m getting until it turns up. He was quiet taken aback when he joined me to pick up I8 just on the looks of the car. He’s starting to get used to my buying patterns though - when he leaves me home alone on his golf trips abroad . However my ex husband didn’t like this approach- hence EX husband. Didn’t have a clue I was buying the Emira - I sent him a photo when he was at golf to give him a little taster lol Mind you I did seek my Hubby’s opinion before I ordered Emira colour then promptly discounted it and choose Nimbus đŸ€­

Last edited: