So I got to take a test drive.... :)

OP
Shyatic

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
On a related note to this thread -- I'm taking a second test drive on Saturday (there were extra spots!).

If there's anything you are curious about, let me know. I'll start another thread to post, probably won't take a video this time around :)

Newguy1354

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I drove the car in Austin, TX Sat. and with my deposit down about 15 months ago... It was greatly anticipated. Here's a few of my thoughts.
First, a thank you to HiTech Motorcars (Lotus of Austin) for being great hosts for the test drives. They had some amazing cars on show and were very welcoming.
My background includes a couple of track days a year with various cars over the years. Including many outings on Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, with time on COTA and Eagles Canyon.
I arrived in Austin from DFW in a Jaguar F-Type R (550hp). A very fun car for different reasons than the Emira. With all that in mind I'll try to keep this short (?) and just hit some main points from my quick experience.
- Power is good. It's a light car in general so with the 400hp goes further and it revs out well. With good torque for most of the rpm range. I thought it felt great. Keeps pulling from 3k rpm. Has an interesting little bump in pull a little past 5k (anyone remember VTECH?) Throttle response is very sharp, especially for forced induction. No issues there.
-Steering was good but... interesting. Great feedback as we all wanted and expect but while taking a long turning overpass at about 70mph-ish it seemed to lighten up. Almost too light/over assisted. I wanted to do it again but didn't get the chance. It's very direct at low speeds.
-Sport vs Touring susp. The car was on Sport with the Michelin tires. The Lotus guy (same as last time when the car toured around to be shown) was really pressing to get the Touring setup. Even if you track it once, but I was not swayed. The drive was on a smoother toll road but for a weekend fun car that I'll track a couple of times, I feel the Sport setup was not too harsh. Bumpy but not bad and even with the Sport, it still had a little lean in the turns.
-Shifter was excellent. Not Honda S2000 level but short and solid feeling. Engagement though I noticed I had to go slower. For me it wouldn't engage the next gear smoothly if rushed.
-Interior was good. Simple but a quality feel and everything easy to get to.
Seats are on the firm side but still comfortable. Pedal placement is tight as mentioned but could be adjusted to.
Summed up; Even though I feel like I've been waiting forever, annnnd I probably won't be getting a First Edition, annndd I still have months to wait.... I still want it. BAD. Looking at it in front of a newer Aston Martin Vantage, I just thought how much better looking it was. How much better looking it is than most cars. This car isn't for driving hours somewhere and expecting relaxed comfort the whole way. It felt "on it's toes" the whole time. It's a special occasion car. A car I hope I get soon as possible.

Attachments

• 20220924_124641.jpg
    20220924_124641.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 20220924_130709.jpg
    20220924_130709.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 20220924_133951.jpg
    20220924_133951.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20220924_133611.jpg
    20220924_133611.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 130

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I drove the car in Austin, TX Sat. and with my deposit down about 15 months ago... It was greatly anticipated. Here's a few of my thoughts.
First, a thank you to HiTech Motorcars (Lotus of Austin) for being great hosts for the test drives. They had some amazing cars on show and were very welcoming.
My background includes a couple of track days a year with various cars over the years. Including many outings on Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, with time on COTA and Eagles Canyon.
I arrived in Austin from DFW in a Jaguar F-Type R (550hp). A very fun car for different reasons than the Emira. With all that in mind I'll try to keep this short (?) and just hit some main points from my quick experience.
- Power is good. It's a light car in general so with the 400hp goes further and it revs out well. With good torque for most of the rpm range. I thought it felt great. Keeps pulling from 3k rpm. Has an interesting little bump in pull a little past 5k (anyone remember VTECH?) Throttle response is very sharp, especially for forced induction. No issues there.
-Steering was good but... interesting. Great feedback as we all wanted and expect but while taking a long turning overpass at about 70mph-ish it seemed to lighten up. Almost too light/over assisted. I wanted to do it again but didn't get the chance. It's very direct at low speeds.
-Sport vs Touring susp. The car was on Sport with the Michelin tires. The Lotus guy (same as last time when the car toured around to be shown) was really pressing to get the Touring setup. Even if you track it once, but I was not swayed. The drive was on a smoother toll road but for a weekend fun car that I'll track a couple of times, I feel the Sport setup was not too harsh. Bumpy but not bad and even with the Sport, it still had a little lean in the turns.
-Shifter was excellent. Not Honda S2000 level but short and solid feeling. Engagement though I noticed I had to go slower. For me it wouldn't engage the next gear smoothly if rushed.
-Interior was good. Simple but a quality feel and everything easy to get to.
Seats are on the firm side but still comfortable. Pedal placement is tight as mentioned but could be adjusted to.
Summed up; Even though I feel like I've been waiting forever, annnnd I probably won't be getting a First Edition, annndd I still have months to wait.... I still want it. BAD. Looking at it in front of a newer Aston Martin Vantage, I just thought how much better looking it was. How much better looking it is than most cars. This car isn't for driving hours somewhere and expecting relaxed comfort the whole way. It felt "on it's toes" the whole time. It's a special occasion car. A car I hope I get soon as possible.
Thanks for the write-up, and great shots! :)

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I wont change my Emira mind for a Vantage for several reasons, which I will state below but I will be very interested to see which way you go. The Vantage, which I guess they will stop making ???? and replace ??? looks great on the outside...sounds great on the outside too.... and probably the inside.... Its a real tempter for you I agree!...
My reasoning for not going down that route right now, not that you will feel the same way, just thinking out loud....
1. It will potentially depreciate faster (it went down like stone for a while when AM had some crazy finance offers, far more stable now)
2. Interior is "special" with maybe 234 dead cows spread around it, but feels bulky in its design of the centre console for example.
3. The info lacking in entertainment system is beyond poor and even more outdated than a 718's....
4. Servicing costs.... Parts Costs.....Warranty Costs.....
5. I can only assume less economical and probably less comical as its a serious bit of kit for that money.
6. Over here in none showy Catalunya, I would feel a bit of a twit with an a driving it. I think it looks great and I may feel great .... but I think that would soon turn into I feel stupid and a big show off as people give me dirty looks. NOT as many dirty looks as a Ferrari, its true.... but. (not the same in the UK.... not generally anyway)
7. Also far more expensive in Spain than the UK.
ok, thats it.... If I were you though I would seriouslyyyyy consider it. I have driven both and nearlyyyyyyy bought a deep red one, but I didnt want to pay the asking price and they wouldn't budge even 1k.
Final thoughts, far more bang for your buck with the aston, no comparison really, lotus is just as wide I'd say, maybe even wider..... keep us posted.
I take on board your comments and have the following thoughts;
1. Depreciation won't be an issue as we are buying cars to keep until the point we have to stick them in a museum or something so that helps us with our decision making. If that wasn't the case though then you are probably correct.
2. I like the plushness of the interior and the quality (in most areas but not all) is excellent in my view.
3. The infotainment is awful, especially for a £100k+ car when new. It really is a let down but i can forgive it as we would probably get a Carplay retrofit upgrade.
4. No argument their, the kids just won't go to university 🤣
5. I expect so however the way I like to drive I don't suppose the Lotus will be significantly different over the 6-8k miles a year we will drive it.
6. I don't think that is so much the case here in the UK because of the British sense of heritage with Aston.
7. Not something I have to worry about.

Once again thank you for your thoughts, the nice thing about these forums is being able to share and chat about these things.

We are very excited about the Emira arrival, it just might be part of the car buying journey for us rather than one of the final pieces of the puzzle.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I take on board your comments and have the following thoughts;
1. Depreciation won't be an issue as we are buying cars to keep until the point we have to stick them in a museum or something so that helps us with our decision making. If that wasn't the case though then you are probably correct.
2. I like the plushness of the interior and the quality (in most areas but not all) is excellent in my view.
3. The infotainment is awful, especially for a £100k+ car when new. It really is a let down but i can forgive it as we would probably get a Carplay retrofit upgrade.
4. No argument their, the kids just won't go to university 🤣
5. I expect so however the way I like to drive I don't suppose the Lotus will be significantly different over the 6-8k miles a year we will drive it.
6. I don't think that is so much the case here in the UK because of the British sense of heritage with Aston.
7. Not something I have to worry about.

Once again thank you for your thoughts, the nice thing about these forums is being able to share and chat about these things.

We are very excited about the Emira arrival, it just might be part of the car buying journey for us rather than one of the final pieces of the puzzle.
agree with all.
yes the leather and quality inside is great, its an aston..and thats another thing to its favour.. its an aston. haha.

ok, yes if i were in the UK.... id be VERY tempted by this car as an alternative, it is in many ways much more special..... again, its an aston..... you can only be james bond in a few ways: you cant kill people without getting into big trouble.... when you say we I guess you are married, so that rules out the womanising ..i hope...so you are left with gambling, never a good idea unless you win or do it with others money like stock brokers..... and drinking.... .. oh and a bit of travelling, but the aston is the way to go and do the travelling and once parked up for the night (no drink driving) do the martini shaking..

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
As my husband kindly reminded me yesterday “After 15 months of waiting I hope you do realise that there’s a high probability this car is going to be an anticlimax when you do eventually get to demo it “- He knows me best and I think 💭 he may be right - wasted 15- 16 months waiting for something that actually doesn’t do it for me - oh well I’ve saved a lot of pennies in the meantime but then where do I go from here …… 🤔🤔🤔

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
As my husband kindly reminded me yesterday “After 15 months of waiting I hope you do realise that there’s a high probability this car is going to be an anticlimax when you do eventually get to demo it “- He knows me best and I think 💭 he may be right - wasted 15- 16 months waiting for something that actually doesn’t do it for me - oh well I’ve saved a lot of pennies in the meantime but then where do I go from here …… 🤔🤔🤔
Alternatively, you may go to the test drive with your head down and be reenergized after you drive it! Especially after @Next Decade summary of his visit.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
most wives could say the same thing about their husbands.... haha

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
On a related note to this thread -- I'm taking a second test drive on Saturday (there were extra spots!).

If there's anything you are curious about, let me know. I'll start another thread to post, probably won't take a video this time around :)
Take closeup wheel gap pics. Stuff some fingers in there.

X260iOC.jpg

Last edited:

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted yet - clear shots of various colors under overcast lighting
Just noticed a stack load of diamond cut wheels over the back next to the factory in this video.

I guess that one component ticked off that we are no longer waiting for.

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Sad but true!! As with most things the longer you have to wait and build anticipation the bigger the letdown after it actually happens. For now though I'm still excited. If '24 arrives and I'm still waiting I'm pretty sure that excitement will be waning. The car world moves pretty fast and who knows what new offering will come along by then?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sad but true!! As with most things the longer you have to wait and build anticipation the bigger the letdown after it actually happens. For now though I'm still excited. If '24 arrives and I'm still waiting I'm pretty sure that excitement will be waning. The car world moves pretty fast and who knows what new offering will come along by then?
The thing is anything new launched now or in 2023 is likely to have similarly long lead times until you can actually get delivery.

The Alpine A110 R is being launched next week and may out-Lotus the Emira in terms of lightness, performance and handling. But I reckon it'll be 12+ months until we see one on the road.

SmokeGlider

Reaction score
having driven the car, with no limits road or demo limits, apart from my stomach.... I would state my rented house on this car not getting to the official figures Lotus produce, not unless its down a steep slope and Hurricane Sofia is blowing behind it.
There is no push back in the seat effect that I do feel in other cars which do genuinely do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds, repeatedly....... It does feel fast though as you are low down and with the noise and the fizzy drinks that have gone to your head, but I truly believe for most of us the 0-60 time will be 5 seconds at best. I cant wait to see the magazines do their best..... one youtube guy already did, from Birmingham (no not me) and it was no where near 4.3 or 4.5 or 4.7 if you stop watch it...

I hope I am wrong, but unless they have made changes ........
There are big differences in how a NA vs a SC vs a turbo motor deliver power and torque. I find that my butt dyno is consistently fooled by a supercharged, smaller displacement motor. They simply don’t feel as quick. The SC 6 in the F-Type is a good example. It builds power so smoothly and in a linear fashion that I found myself thinking the speedo was wonky. Like, ’how the hell can I be doing 100 mph already’? I just didn’t feel the acceleration as much as I would expect. I reckon the V6 in the Emira will feel similarly. Not so much a kick in the back like from a big V8, as a persistent gentle shove. I drive a car with a similarly sized V6 with twin turbos now. It’s very docile as long as you keep out of boost. But the moment the turbos start to spool, hang on. The fangs come out on full display. I reckon the AMG I4 will deliver a similar experience, even if it is with less power, especially if the DCT is well tuned to the motor.

Last edited:

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The thing is anything new launched now or in 2023 is likely to have similarly long lead times until you can actually get delivery.

The Alpine A110 R is being launched next week and may out-Lotus the Emira in terms of lightness, performance and handling. But I reckon it'll be 12+ months until we see one on the road.
The Alpine A110 R may out perform the Emira...but in the "looks department" there's no comparison IMO. Depends where your focus is. Having yet to test drive an Emira, I'm hoping it'll have the best of both worlds: good performance combined with head-turning looks.

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
There are big differences in how a NA vs a SC vs a turbo motor deliver power and torque. I find that my butt dyno is consistently fooled by a supercharged, smaller displacement motor. They simply don’t feel as quick. The SC 6 in the F-Type is a good example. It builds power so smoothly and in a linear fashion that I found myself thinking the speedo was wonky. Like, ’how the hell can I be doing 100 mph already’? I just didn’t feel the acceleration as much as I would expect. I reckon the V6 in the Emira will feel similarly. Not so much a kick in the back like from a big V8, as a persistent gentle shove. I drive a car with a similarly sized V6 with twin turbos now. It’s very docile as long as you keep out of boost. But the moment the turbos start to spool, hang on. The fangs come out on full display. I reckon the AMG I4 will deliver a similar experience, even if it is with less power, especially if the DCT is well tuned to the motor.
Yep the twin turbos are nice, as they pretty much eliminate that turbo lag. My favorite is NA but a SC is ok on a moderately powered car. I hated it on the Callaway. No driving fun, just hang on for dear life and LOTS of throttle modulation!