So I got to take a test drive.... :)

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think in a manual V6 Emira, it will be very difficult to see a 0-60 time under 4.5 sec. This will come down mostly to the driver and not the car. The Auto box will most likely be hitting under 4.5 much more often. These days when you pick a manual transmission you must understand you are giving up 0-60 times. This is from driving a 992 911 S, and 718 Spyder both in manual. A PDK transmission would blow me out of the water.

With that said, on a track or when you are already at speed the pull from say 60-120 MPH will be very similar to a PDK.

Emira's power to weight ratio places it right around cayman GTS 4.0 - So yes should be quick enough. I've posted this video before - but it's helpful for the American's (and Canadians) as these are the two most competitive cars against the Emira. From all the reviews so far they say the Emira feels as fast or maybe even slightly quicker in some ways against the 718 4.0's.... It did very well against a C8 which is arguably the king of 0-60 for under 100K. I would expect similar results from the Emira with a PDK or the i4 DCT. (or manual if your willing to burn the clutch lol)

I'll happily sacrifice a few tenths for the involvement of rowing my own gears!

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I test drove the Emira this weekend as well. While waiting, I test drove their AM Vantage. Coming from the AM to the Emira, I can say the AM is FAST and much nicer interior, obviously. The Emria was comfortable and sufficient for the interior feel. I floored it on both and the torque from stationary and from rolling is obviously different but more than capable. I've driven a 718 GT4 and can say the Emira feels a little stronger but they are similar besides the tall gears. Very precise and fun to drive. Usable acceleration and fun to change gears. My previous F Type R was FAST but I could rarely get on it and use it. I drove a Z06 C7 and it felt like shit with no traction and like driving a boat. More HP is not always better, coming from someone who wishes the Emira had at least 450. Besides cabin wind noise and the infotainment being dim, I had no other cons about the car. They said it was Euro spec so he said he didn't know about the front headlight being amber or not but this car it was clear.
Interested to hear which car the AM or Emira felt the most special. The acceleration to 60mph for both cars is very similar but the AM having more low down torque. As the AM is close as a used car buy to the Emira I’m contemplating one or the other, a test drive of the Emira looms first though.

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The sensation of speed is different in a normally aspirated car versus a turbo and versus a supercharger.

What we think we experience as acceleration in a car is more likely "surge", the rate of change of acceleration. That's the "push you back in the seat" moment.

With an NA car with a peaky power curve, you feel the initial acceleration, but then the power builds then peaks and tails off. For those who learnt to drive manual NA cars like that and grew up with them, we subconsciously know when to change gear to make best use of the peak part of the power curve. It's one of the reasons why we like rowing gears. After a series of turbo and SC cars I had to re-learn that when I got the Exige. It really likes to be worked between 3000 and 6000 rpm and bogs down below 2500 in 2nd or 3rd gear.

The linearity of the SC in the Emira means it won't give so much of that pushback feeling. What it does do (and the Evora does it as well) is give a strong pull across a wide range of revs and it seems to just keep pulling as the revs increase. This is probably why many reviewers have been caught out by the redline, because there's no obvious plateau or fall-off to prompt you to change up. Instead of the initial pushback, what you get is an "is this ever going to run out of pull" sensation (until you hit the limiter!). My Evora happily pulls well from 2000 rpm in 2nd and keeps pulling strongly up to the rev limit at just over 60mph.

It's a different sensation again in a turbo car. It's going to be really interesting to see how Lotus have set up the i4, as we know they've tuned it to give it more "Lotus-like character" and have reduced some of the peakiness.
Yep I discovered that when I drove my friend's Callaway c6. I didn't like it nearly as much as my NA z06. The NA felt more manageable where the Callaway was more like hang on for dear life as it pulled and pulled. I suppose given more seat time it would be more comfortable. I imagine it won't be as difficult to get the hand of in the Emira without as much crazy and unusable power.

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Interested to hear which car the AM or Emira felt the most special. The acceleration to 60mph for both cars is very similar but the AM having more low down torque. As the AM is close as a used car buy to the Emira I’m contemplating one or the other, a test drive of the Emira looms first though.
The Aston sounds like this though (well 2018 cars did as the GPF's didn't arrive until the 2019 onwards cars). We are in a similar place deciding between the Emira or a used Vantage and having had this one for a month courtesy of a friend it was about as good an extended test drive as you could hope for.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The Aston sounds like this though (well 2018 cars did as the GPF's didn't arrive until the 2019 onwards cars). We are in a similar place deciding between the Emira or a used Vantage and having had this one for a month courtesy of a friend it was about as good an extended test drive as you could hope for.
View attachment 9170
What have you decided? Wait for an Emira test drive first before making a decision on an AM??

magmared

Reaction score

Just came back from the test drive! I have a video (which my face is half blocking, sorry) that I'll upload later.
Early impressions -- phenomenal. Power is where I expected it to be, does not throw you back in the seat like other cars but the delivery is linear and solid. Handling, which I got only a taste of given the roads and structure is solid, no tire slip, no jitters, just glued to the road. Interior cabin noise is also pretty good -- I mean, it's a sports car so I don't have a huge amount of hope for that.

Driving position, visibility, stellar. Sports mode vs touring makes a huge difference in throttle response. Honestly I don't ever see myself driving it in touring. Gearing ratios are pretty close, so there's a lot of engagement for the driver.

This car was the sports suspension, and I found it perfectly suitable for me. Touring may be a bit quieter, not sure, but given for me it's a weekend and evening toy, I don't personally care. Interior quality was superb, I sat and felt all the materials, everything felt Germanic in quality -- a compliment! This car had the alcantara seats which I'm not sure I'd go for -- they are comfortable, but I think I'd prefer something easier to clean and maintain. Plus not sure how they hold up longer term.

Any complaints? Trunk is smaller than I thought -- might fit some stuff but not a big deal. Pedal placement is a little weird as I got into the car, but I got it sorted after a minute. Shifts are a little longer throw -- not a big deal, but something to note. Stereo sounded a little flat, the clarity was good but no bass -- that may just have been a setting I didn't bother to play with. I only had 20 minutes so wanted to spend the majority of that driving. Hope this helps, happy to answer any Qs.

View attachment 9029View attachment 9030View attachment 9031View attachment 9032View attachment 9033
Sounds brilliant in sports mode, and there was a noticeable difference in power delivery too… Touring maybe be better as a daily from what I see.

Fantastic that you got to test drive it

Fasttoys

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My only complaint is the power, wished they squeezed 450/350 out of the motor. It’s quick but not fast based off todays sports car standards. Living in Dallas you don’t have access to that many windy roads like you do in Austin hill country, unless you go to the track. The interior and build quality is light years better than my Evora. I always felt that Higher power cars are more of an event for the short amount of time I dive my sports cars. In the Austin hill country this could be a blast to drive. I sold my Evora back in early 2013 and everything I have owned since has had a lot more power. I get the new Z06 in 2023, if I can keep both than that will be a good year.

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What have you decided? Wait for an Emira test drive first before making a decision on an AM??
Wait for the Emira, we've waited this long and put the deposit down so nothing to lose and I'm sure it is going to be an excellent car. After a few months with the Emira we will know if it is the keeper we hope it is and if not we will probably have it for 6-12 months and then sell it and look to buy the Vantage.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm mid 50s and am going for yellow. My wife gave up trying to influence my choice of car colour long ago and simply refers to it as "mid life crisis yellow".

I agree Nimbus probably shows off the contours best, followed by Magma.
I am 53 and will have three red two yellow and one orange - skittlestastic!!!!!

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I’m in the SWMBO camp and I often hear “you’re not parking that in my driveway “ or “I will never ride in that car”
Therefore, we go Nimbus.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’m in the SWMBO camp and I often hear “you’re not parking that in my driveway “ or “I will never ride in that car”
Therefore, we go Nimbus.
Who’s paying for the car. You or significant other.
If you get what you want 🤣

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
My great wife let me spend a chunk of money on foolishness but the deal was she got to pick the color! Fortunately she has good taste.. Candy Black Cherry on the Pantera, Velocity Yellow on the Vette and Nimbus on the Emira. Which is great because initially I wanted the green but changed my mind when I saw the nimbus. Guess after 44years we're starting to sync..:)

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Advertised 0-62mph is 4.3s for the manual. I think 0-60 is either 4.1 or 4.2s. But achieving this in the real world will be a clutch burner and need ideal conditions.

A more realistic figure will be 4.5-4.7s. The auto IPS with launch control will provide much more consistent (and much faster) 0-60 times than the manual.
having driven the car, with no limits road or demo limits, apart from my stomach.... I would state my rented house on this car not getting to the official figures Lotus produce, not unless its down a steep slope and Hurricane Sofia is blowing behind it.
There is no push back in the seat effect that I do feel in other cars which do genuinely do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds, repeatedly....... It does feel fast though as you are low down and with the noise and the fizzy drinks that have gone to your head, but I truly believe for most of us the 0-60 time will be 5 seconds at best. I cant wait to see the magazines do their best..... one youtube guy already did, from Birmingham (no not me) and it was no where near 4.3 or 4.5 or 4.7 if you stop watch it...

I hope I am wrong, but unless they have made changes ........

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Our money is the same. But seriously, I’m buying this to do DE to LA road trips, if she won’t be seen in it, kinda ruins the fun
Example:

S0XIGao.jpg

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 9170
I wont change my Emira mind for a Vantage for several reasons, which I will state below but I will be very interested to see which way you go. The Vantage, which I guess they will stop making ???? and replace ??? looks great on the outside...sounds great on the outside too.... and probably the inside.... Its a real tempter for you I agree!...
My reasoning for not going down that route right now, not that you will feel the same way, just thinking out loud....
1. It will potentially depreciate faster (it went down like stone for a while when AM had some crazy finance offers, far more stable now)
2. Interior is "special" with maybe 234 dead cows spread around it, but feels bulky in its design of the centre console for example.
3. The info lacking in entertainment system is beyond poor and even more outdated than a 718's....
4. Servicing costs.... Parts Costs.....Warranty Costs.....
5. I can only assume less economical and probably less comical as its a serious bit of kit for that money.
6. Over here in none showy Catalunya, I would feel a bit of a twit with an a driving it. I think it looks great and I may feel great .... but I think that would soon turn into I feel stupid and a big show off as people give me dirty looks. NOT as many dirty looks as a Ferrari, its true.... but. (not the same in the UK.... not generally anyway)
7. Also far more expensive in Spain than the UK.
ok, thats it.... If I were you though I would seriouslyyyyy consider it. I have driven both and nearlyyyyyyy bought a deep red one, but I didnt want to pay the asking price and they wouldn't budge even 1k.
Final thoughts, far more bang for your buck with the aston, no comparison really, lotus is just as wide I'd say, maybe even wider..... keep us posted.