Seating Position - How do you find it?!?

FlashingBlade

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I did think about adding this to the 'lets talk about the seats' thread but its a little more topic specific.

I'm majorly struggling to find a good seating position in the Emira. I'm 6'1" with 34 leg so not an unusual shape.

I have the seat at its lowest possible setting but in a comfortable position, the rearview mirror is unusable unless I either want to limit the view to six inches beyond the car or bob and weave to look into the mirror. This results in me putting far more angle on the seat squab than I would normally, resulting in more pressure being applied to my lower back, which I'm trying to counter with the lumbar support but I still get out and have backache.

Is anyone else having problems or if not, how did you find the right position?

So is the main issue the rearview mirror? I have never adjusted my seat to suit the mirror. If the mirror is not providing a good enough view angle, you can get one of those snap-on mirrors that provide a wider view. Although those mirrors would be susceptible to glare.

Generally, I set my seat in the following sequence:

1. Set the seat height for the appropriate driving leg angle.
2. Set the seat tilt for proper thigh support.
3. Set the fore/aft for appropriate pedal reach.
4. Set the seat back angle for comfort.
5. Adjust lumbar support - usually little to no protrusion.
6. Adjust steering wheel for angle and reach.
7. Adjust mirrors.

I did think about adding this to the 'lets talk about the seats' thread but its a little more topic specific.

I'm majorly struggling to find a good seating position in the Emira. I'm 6'1" with 34 leg so not an unusual shape.

I have the seat at its lowest possible setting but in a comfortable position, the rearview mirror is unusable unless I either want to limit the view to six inches beyond the car or bob and weave to look into the mirror. This results in me putting far more angle on the seat squab than I would normally, resulting in more pressure being applied to my lower back, which I'm trying to counter with the lumbar support but I still get out and have backache.

Is anyone else having problems or if not, how did you find the right position?
It would be useful to see a photo of how you have set it up (side view from outside with door open). I am a couple of cm shorter but I don’t have any issue with seat position, comfort or rear view mirror. Mine is also set to the lowest height

I'll try and get some photos tomorrow or Saturday. I've never had this issue in any car I've previously owned and even though I'm usually making minor adjustments quite often in my other car depending on time of day, mood etc, they're all adjustments from a set position if that makes sense.

I do usual new car routine of:

setting it to its lowest position and all the way back,
putting the steering column into its closest position to the dash
Depressing the clutch all the way
Move the seat forward until I've got a slight bend in the knee
Adjust the backrest/angle until I'm looking central out of the screen
Bring the steering column out until I have a bend in the elbow

I'd actually pay an osteopath to set my car up for me right now😁

I'll try and get some photos tomorrow or Saturday. I've never had this issue in any car I've previously owned and even though I'm usually making minor adjustments quite often in my other car depending on time of day, mood etc, they're all adjustments from a set position if that makes sense.

I do usual new car routine of:

setting it to its lowest position and all the way back,
putting the steering column into its closest position to the dash
Depressing the clutch all the way
Move the seat forward until I've got a slight bend in the knee
Adjust the backrest/angle until I'm looking central out of the screen
Bring the steering column out until I have a bend in the elbow

I'd actually pay an osteopath to set my car up for me right now😁
I had issues with the seat too. I was always going to swap to my seats eventually but I have a bone condition and the impossibility to get a position that did not give me a back ache after about an hour made it more important to get it done. The main issue with the seat is the foam is all too soft, so you lower back wallows in the foam allowing the vertebra move independently and no position will alter that.
You are welcome to try my seats out if you are in Kent.

I spent about an hour playing with seat position yesterday. I’m 6’2” and definitely could do with more head room — the seat doesn’t seem to go low enough. But I think I’ve found a fairly good compromise with a decent amount of recline.

The seats themselves feel great to me. Not as bolstered as my previous cars, but that leaves me room to grow (my partner makes great nachos). Oddly though, I can’t get the wing mirrors to go wide enough — still seeing quite a bit of car in the view. Blind spot FTW…

Reactions: _w_
I spent about an hour playing with seat position yesterday. I’m 6’2” and definitely could do with more head room — the seat doesn’t seem to go low enough. But I think I’ve found a fairly good compromise with a decent amount of recline.

The seats themselves feel great to me. Not as bolstered as my previous cars, but that leaves me room to grow (my partner makes great nachos). Oddly though, I can’t get the wing mirrors to go wide enough — still seeing quite a bit of car in the view. Blind spot FTW…
I thought that. All the way home from Lotus I though my drivers door mirror motor was broken until I realised it was at the limit of adjustment. I've got used to it now and it doesn't bother me but ideally the mirror could do with moving out a bit more.

Same for the seat not being low enough (6’ tall, long in the body), wearing a helmet is going to require a significant recline, normal driving the rear view is fine but the mirror is blocking the view to front a little so I do need to duck occasionally. Same in the mirror not moving out far enough too.

Same for the seat not being low enough (6’ tall, long in the body), wearing a helmet is going to require a significant recline, normal driving the rear view is fine but the mirror is blocking the view to front a little so I do need to duck occasionally. Same in the mirror not moving out far enough too.
That’s where our seats will help.
Your head would drop three inches lower for the same chest angle. I’m 5 ft 10 and like to sit low but had to make a different bracket with an extra hole higher to get the B10 to sit the seat high enough for me. I know it’s more money but it is a solution to the seat height issue.

6' 3", needs more space...
20221022_125719.jpg

I had issues with the seat too. I was always going to swap to my seats eventually but I have a bone condition and the impossibility to get a position that did not give me a back ache after about an hour made it more important to get it done. The main issue with the seat is the foam is all too soft, so you lower back wallows in the foam allowing the vertebra move independently and no position will alter that.
You are welcome to try my seats out if you are in Kent.
Unfortunately, I'm Yorkshire but I may take you up on that in the new year. The seats are lacking bolstering for me as well as the height/angle issues and replacing the seats is something I'm considering but I've got things I need to sort first. Just got home from work and have unlocked two new 'features' i.e. faults with the parking break and the rear view camera lol

If there's a worst part of the car its hands down the seats.
To be fair I have got used to them but with my wife today on some local twisties even she noticed how much she was moving about.
I feel this is a disconnect when driving and one cant feel what the car is 'doing' which for me is slightly disconcerting.
I think the car would give the impression of even better handling if the seats were not one step up from a deck chair.

I've just been watching the reviews and the seats in the Emeya, even in the back, seem much better than what the Emira gets. I know its a different sized vehicle but it seems to me Lotus UK could have done much better without much of a price different given internal economies of scale. That said, looking between them, it might just be angles and appearance

Attachments

• 2024-lotus-emeya-electric-sedan-spied-inside-and-out-ahead-of-imminent-premiere_29.jpg
    2024-lotus-emeya-electric-sedan-spied-inside-and-out-ahead-of-imminent-premiere_29.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 53
If there's a worst part of the car its hands down the seats.
To be fair I have got used to them but with my wife today on some local twisties even she noticed how much she was moving about.
I feel this is a disconnect when driving and one cant feel what the car is 'doing' which for me is slightly disconcerting.
I think the car would give the impression of even better handling if the seats were not one step up from a deck chair.
It is, I can't begin to tell you what a difference taking those seats out made.
Any thoughts that this car has been dumbed down as a true sports car are gone once you are not floating around on foam.

Did you have to code out the airbag fault when you took the seats out @Steve Tillett?
You don't have to code the fault out. Everything works fine with the seats just unplugged. Obviously you have the warning lights on about the airbags but I am continuing to look at how we get around this. It's not in your face or annoying, so It does not bother me personally. I would rather have the seats in, which change the cars performance and are much better for my back.

At 5'6" I find the seats work pretty well when adjusted all the way to the floor. I've done several long trips without issue. They are quite wide and don't have a lot of lateral support but the Alcantara helps I lot I suspect as I don't slide around (and I'm reasonably slim).

At 5'6" I find the seats work pretty well when adjusted all the way to the floor. I've done several long trips without issue. They are quite wide and don't have a lot of lateral support but the Alcantara helps I lot I suspect as I don't slide around (and I'm reasonably slim).
I think the seat shape is 'getting away with murder' to a certain extent with the Alcantara.
Esprit Seats were leather and wide and like being sat on a greasy pig (I imagine)......