Race to the first i4

So after Lotus called UK i4 orders saying delivery was delayed until summer 24 this has appeared on the available cars for delivery in 4 weeks.

Looks like its a website error sadly. I emailed customer services who reported that the i4 shouldn't be listed yet. A shame, I had hoped it showed something (anything) was happening.

Looks like its a website error sadly. I emailed customer services who reported that the i4 shouldn't be listed yet. A shame, I had hoped it showed something (anything) was happening.
Just came to post the same, Lotus CC replied to me to say the I4 on the website was added in error (though as I post this it is still online, wonder how long before they take it down). They also said that they're still working towards the previously stated timescale, so "by summer" is still all we have to go on.

Hi there, I got an email from Lotus Cars Australia last Friday saying that my car (I4) has been built and is in transit, been given a wide ETA date range sighting shipping/clearance delays. Anyone else in Aus or outside of the UK getting comms of their I4 arrival?
Yep, my i4 is on its way to Perth. But i haven't been given an ETA yet. What was your ETA into Sydney? Cheers

Yep, my i4 is on its way to Perth. But i haven't been given an ETA yet. What was your ETA into Sydney? Cheers
@TurboTambo I was given a wide ETA date range, "between now and end February 2024". Given that you are 4,000km closer to Hethel, you should get it before Sydney 😄Good to see more Aussies getting comms 👍

Realistically, with clearance/paperwork/registration/etc, I probably won't see the car until late March/early April. :p

Last edited:
God, it's February 5th and I'm finding the wait harder than ever...seeing how there are problems with CARB only makes me more nervous.

Let's see if someone travels to the factory, on a track day and at least has some news or confirm if half of the production is our guys. I understand that at some point they will have to meet the Chinese market! And Australian! 😅

God, it's February 5th and I'm finding the wait harder than ever...seeing how there are problems with CARB only makes me more nervous.

Let's see if someone travels to the factory, on a track day and at least has some news or confirm if half of the production is our guys. I understand that at some point they will have to meet the Chinese market! And Australian! 😅
Just came to post the same, Lotus CC replied to me to say the I4 on the website was added in error (though as I post this it is still online, wonder how long before they take it down). They also said that they're still working towards the previously stated timescale, so "by summer" is still all we have to go on.

Hi, I am a deposit holder for an i4. Have had several delays for my car. The last update I had from LCC, before today was around November 2023, when I received a phone call statement that my car has been delayed until June 2024, due to awaiting type approval. Today I was informed by LCC, that i4 deliveries are not expected to start until the last quarter of 2024. Reason given was again, type approval. If true this it’s extremely disappointing. Can anyone else confirm this is the case?

Hi, I am a deposit holder for an i4. Have had several delays for my car. The last update I had from LCC, before today was around November 2023, when I received a phone call statement that my car has been delayed until June 2024, due to awaiting type approval. Today I was informed by LCC, that i4 deliveries are not expected to start until the last quarter of 2024. Reason given was again, type approval. If true this it’s extremely disappointing. Can anyone else confirm this is the case?
I haven't heard this, but with this whole UK i4 shit show, anything is possible. If this is the case, at least I know 100% its time to give up on the car.
OMG - surely not! If so then I think I'll be out. That's another summer lost. Life is too short for this.
Likewise, I'm so hoping this isn't the case, but if so I'm out. As you say, life is too short.

I haven't heard this, but with this whole UK i4 shit show, anything is possible. If this is the case, at least I know 100% its time to give up on the car.

Likewise, I'm so hoping this isn't the case, but if so I'm out. As you say, life is too short.
That’s what I was told today. Couldn’t believe it, I said I was told June 2024, he apologised, and said that they were working on Q4 delivery for the i4, earlier if they can but didn’t sound optimistic.

Type approval is such BS. It would be more palatable if they were honest and open.

That's not good if true, not heard anything about such a delay myself yet or seen anything anywhere else, last week all was still on target, but as we know from past experience things can go downhill quickly...

I was checking on type approval timelines and there has been no change from the 6 weeks according to the VCA that I posted about back in December. I did spot the following however in their FAQs:

• Is it possible to apply for both a GB and UK(NI) approval for the same vehicle type?
    • Yes, a manufacturer may hold both GB and UK(NI) approvals for the same vehicle type as the approvals fall under different regulatory frameworks.

I note from your profile that you're in NI, so I wonder if it is this difference in approval frameworks that is causing issues for you specifically. In part we may need to wait and see if any other I4 deposit holders are getting the same message you did and if so where they are based.

Type approval is such BS. It would be more palatable if they were honest and open.
Type approval may well indeed be the cause of the delay. If it is then where they need to be more open is around why it is causing such a delay. It certainly shouldn't be the process itself, as if started today it should be complete mid March going by VCA timelines. And if not the process there has to be something up with the car that means it wouldn't pass type approval (my theory is that it is something related to ADAS not being ready yet, but that is pure guesswork on my side).

That's not good if true, not heard anything about such a delay myself yet or seen anything anywhere else, last week all was still on target, but as we know from past experience things can go downhill quickly...

I was checking on type approval timelines and there has been no change from the 6 weeks according to the VCA that I posted about back in December. I did spot the following however in their FAQs:

I note from your profile that you're in NI, so I wonder if it is this difference in approval frameworks that is causing issues for you specifically. In part we may need to wait and see if any other I4 deposit holders are getting the same message you did and if so where they are base
As far as I know same rules as the rest of the uk. LCC were in touch re a test drive that I had done, to see if I wished to order one. Told him that I had already ordered, an i4, when he mentioned the delay until Q4. I hadn’t given him any specifics about my i4 order or location.

Type approval may well indeed be the cause of the delay. If it is then where they need to be more open is around why it is causing such a delay. It certainly shouldn't be the process itself, as if started today it should be complete mid March going by VCA timelines. And if not the process there has to be something up with the car that means it wouldn't pass type approval (my theory is that it is something related to ADAS not being ready yet, but that is pure guesswork on my side).

I agree with you, but if they had approved the emissions tests earlier they would not be in this situation... as they continue to delay the delivery and/or approval we will not even be able to drive the car in any European city.

It seems that we are playing to tighten the rope with regulators, as they are doing in NA....

F***, I just want to enjoy the car and honestly I don't even know if they are really looking for us to cancel, I'm starting to think seriously about it.

Last edited:
I note from your profile that you're in NI, so I wonder if it is this difference in approval frameworks that is causing issues for you specifically. In part we may need to wait and see if any other I4 deposit holders are getting the same message you did and if so where they are based.
I received a 2025 target timeline in an email, but I'm in the US and they are blaming "supply chain issues". Moreover, others have received their gift, with delivery messages and tracking numbers, but I have not heard a peep..

Attachments

• EmiraUpdate.jpg
    EmiraUpdate.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 32
@TurboTambo I was given a wide ETA date range, "between now and end February 2024". Given that you are 4,000km closer to Hethel, you should get it before Sydney 😄Good to see more Aussies getting comms 👍

Realistically, with clearance/paperwork/registration/etc, I probably won't see the car until late March/early April. :p
why would it take that long to clear? My I4 has landed in perth, i was hoping once docks clear it the dealer would want to get it to me asap to get paid, i was hoping to have it in a week or two??

I emailed Customer Services this morning, and got a very speedy reply from Jordan. (Who really does seem on the ball with a few questions from me recently)
He assures me that the UK timescales of "before summer" is still very much valid.
"I can assure you the original estimate of before summer 2024 is still the case. Nothing has changed" So hopefully better news, thanks to Jordan.

I emailed Customer Services this morning, and got a very speedy reply from Jordan. (Who really does seem on the ball with a few questions from me recently)
He assures me that the UK timescales of "before summer" is still very much valid.
"I can assure you the original estimate of before summer 2024 is still the case. Nothing has changed" So hopefully better news, thanks to Jordan.
That's good to hear, fingers crossed that is indeed the case and not an example of Lotus having not yet given them the bad news to pass on.