• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

PPF news

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
What does "port installed" even mean? Like there's really a PPF team at the port wrapping cars on the ship? 🤨

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
On my 911 I only had limited clear wrap to prevent stone chips (you can’t avoid them in the NE if you drive in the winter or near construction). That helped, by I still had stone nicks on the roof and hips. Despite my best efforts to avoid door dings by parking far out in lots and hugging curves where I could, I still got them 😡. For these reasons I find myself in the “yes PPF” camp. I suppose we’ll know soon enough.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You'll still get teenagers who will happen across your parked car and lean on it, scratching it with their jeans rivets, all to take pictures for instagram and facebook

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
What does "port installed" even mean? Like there's really a PPF team at the port wrapping cars on the ship? 🤨
Cars do not simply drive off the ship and onto a truck or train. They all flow through QA/PDI facilities. I imagine Lotus leverages Volvo/Polestar facilities.

At all automotive receiving ports manufacturers utilize either corporate owned workshops or 3rd parties who contract these services. Many provide the PPF installation capabilities as an additional service.

For example, Porsche, Mercedes, VW, BMW and Stelantis (Fiat Chrysler) all have captive workshops at most ports. Lambo and Bugatti leverage VW, Ferrari leverage Stelantis, etc….

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
On my 911 I only had limited clear wrap to prevent stone chips (you can’t avoid them in the NE if you drive in the winter or near construction). That helped, by I still had stone nicks on the roof and hips. Despite my best efforts to avoid door dings by parking far out in lots and hugging curves where I could, I still got them 😡. For these reasons I find myself in the “yes PPF” camp. I suppose we’ll know soon enough.
It all depends on how you use your car. If this were to be my daily driver then yes, I probably would wrap it. For me this would be a 3rd or 4th car so I can be very selective on how I use it and where I park it. I have no need for PPF.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I cant see this coming 75% ppf protected for free.
Of course not but someone at the Boston dealership told the OP it was the case then used a reference to Evora's which I and I assume many others here have no knowledge of. Then a bunch of people latch on, gave it likes, etc. so now dozens, if not hundreds walk away thinking they get 75% coverage from the factory by default. Did Evora's com from the factory with full PPF?????

It reminds me of a conversation I hade with a VW dealer about 10 years ago. We were looking CC's and found one we liked but it had a dealer installed pinstripe kit (tape luckily). When we asked the salesman to remove it he said that wasn't possible since it was factory installed. I asked him how he came to that conclusion and he said because every one on the lot had then so he assumed it was from the factory. As everyone here would be aware, this was nothing more than the dealership adding $2 worth of tape and adding $250 to the ADM sticker. Exactly like dealers tinting window, spraying bed liners, doing "paint sealant", adding nitrogen to tires and every other trick in the book to separate their customers from their money.

denk0815

Reaction score
Semi offtopic:
Does anyone happen to have their vehicle wrapped and can post a close up of it? I've been toying with the idea for a while now, but all the PPFs I know look like orange peel and the permanent sight of them wouldn't be worth the risk of stone chips.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Of course not but someone at the Boston dealership told the OP it was the case then used a reference to Evora's which I and I assume many others here have no knowledge of. Then a bunch of people latch on, gave it likes, etc. so now dozens, if not hundreds walk away thinking they get 75% coverage from the factory by default. Did Evora's com from the factory with full PPF?????

It reminds me of a conversation I hade with a VW dealer about 10 years ago. We were looking CC's and found one we liked but it had a dealer installed pinstripe kit (tape luckily). When we asked the salesman to remove it he said that wasn't possible since it was factory installed. I asked him how he came to that conclusion and he said because every one on the lot had then so he assumed it was from the factory. As everyone here would be aware, this was nothing more than the dealership adding $2 worth of tape and adding $250 to the ADM sticker. Exactly like dealers tinting window, spraying bed liners, doing "paint sealant", adding nitrogen to tires and every other trick in the book to separate their customers from their money.
Yeah, you got to be savvy about the dealer add-ons for sure... luckily, I'm wise to their tricks, and during my last car purchase I managed to haggle them down to giving me 78% nitrogen for half the price of 100% nitrogen 💪 😏

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Semi offtopic:
Does anyone happen to have their vehicle wrapped and can post a close up of it? I've been toying with the idea for a while now, but all the PPFs I know look like orange peel and the permanent sight of them wouldn't be worth the risk of stone chips.
Pretty much all factory paint these days has orange peel. It's not the film as the film isn't capable of getting orange peel as it's actually part of the painting process.

New PPF film is great and you honestly can't tell just from looking at a vehicle. You pretty my have to look for seams and feel for edges.
I don't think I will ever buy a new car without some level off PPF applied. A used one gets tougher to justify unless it is super clean already with low miles.

Tell me what areas have PPF? It's not the entire car.

759E264A-6183-49B3-9B61-7B1698A38662.jpeg
69E21F3C-88CC-407E-8A45-8081B2984E2F.jpeg

Last edited:

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
No way this is true. It comes with a protective film for transport perhaps but this is not “ppf”

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
No way this is true. It comes with a protective film for transport perhaps but this is not “ppf”
We have already ascertained it is not true if you read the rest of the posts.

But, to clear this up, the Boston dealer was mistaken. The cars, at the present time, DO NOT come with 75% PPF from the factory.

Smudger

Reaction score
Semi offtopic:
See my previous 911...there was no orange peel at all, self healing film, however, you could see the outline of the wrap around badges etc as it was pre-cut to avoid any trimming issues.

Attachments

• IMG_20171030_0919098.jpg
    IMG_20171030_0919098.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 53
  • tmp_capture.jpg
    tmp_capture.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 57

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Don’t forget topping off that blinker fluid!
You could really use that Tru-Coat though…🤣

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Attachments

• 35A129AB-49CD-40DD-8C08-9DFE3168C639.gif
    35A129AB-49CD-40DD-8C08-9DFE3168C639.gif
    438.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 90FDB27A-6F25-4330-9680-E1949C473307.gif
    90FDB27A-6F25-4330-9680-E1949C473307.gif
    486.9 KB · Views: 39

LotusAmateur

Reaction score
Semi offtopic:
Here's my current Alpine with front and side PPF and ceramic topping. Had the badges removed to allow smooth PPF without any outlines and stuck on fresh badges. Looks great and works well, no orange peel.

Attachments

• 84a5149c-3667-4f1a-aa0c-e9634dfdbf63.jpg
    84a5149c-3667-4f1a-aa0c-e9634dfdbf63.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 55
  • bdf0a753-bdb9-4050-89ee-30ab0c192654.jpg
    bdf0a753-bdb9-4050-89ee-30ab0c192654.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 60

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I certainly hope they DO NOT put PPF on the car from the factory. I’m not aware of any OEM doing standard factory PPF though I’ve heard some are contemplating it. Dealers will hate that, it robs them of a massive profit add on.

Did the Evora actually come with factory PPF or was it some dealers who added it like they used to do pinstripes?
Yes my Evora came with PPF from factory.
Took car to guy who has done PPF on a few of my cars. Asking if I needed to redo with. Told me no need it was fine not best grade but good. Only issue was Lotus does not wrap it completely around ends. Just stops at the edges

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes my Evora came with PPF from factory.
Took car to guy who has done PPF on a few of my cars. Asking if I needed to redo with. Told me no need it was fine not best grade but good. Only issue was Lotus does not wrap it completely around ends. Just stops at the edges
Thanks, at least that would imply that they have experience with the process so it isn't another new thing the factory workers need to learn. That assumes, of course, that it was actually done at the factory and not at the port. Considering my contact said they were investigating the port install process, which is the norm with European manufacturers, it's highly likely that's the model they used with Evora.

I believe my contact will let me know when they make a final decision and when they do I will echo it here.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Making this bigger so that people don't miss it.
But, to clear this up, the Boston dealer was mistaken. The cars, at the present time, DO NOT come with 75% PPF from the factory.

Out of respect for their privacy I will not name names but according to a reliable source PPF is a current topic of discussion within Lotus. The most likely solution will be an optional port-installed option. However the factory is also considering a mini-kit as standard fitment to only protect a couple small areas, but this is still in discussions.

@supersix is it possible to put a disclaimer on the first post so that people don't carry incorrect info?

I believe my contact will let me know when they make a final decision and when they do I will echo it here.
Thanks, really appreciate your efforts on that. Good info shared here.

Last edited: