• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

PPF news

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I called lotus of Boston today for information on when I need to submit my build code. During the call I enquired about PPF options. She told me not to worry about it because the Emira was coming with 75% of the car with factory PPF. Has anyone else heard this? It was news to me! I need to have code in by may.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
So what would be the 25% uncovered? The rear?

OP
Green

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
She did not say but did say it was similar to what the Evora GT came with.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Great news. Typically they’d have a coverage cheat sheet for us. Get that!

#ForTheProtection

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I sure hope it's XPEL Ultimate or at least 3M if true. Most other PPF brands have much lesser quality. I also don't understand the point of doing 75%, just do the whole car seamless or none at all.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is it normal for high-end manufacturers to do that? My dealer here in Oz had mentioned it as a third-party thing (i.e. after delivery).

G

Guest142

I called lotus of Boston today for information on when I need to submit my build code. During the call I enquired about PPF options. She told me not to worry about it because the Emira was coming with 75% of the car with factory PPF. Has anyone else heard this? It was news to me! I need to have code in by may.
This is phenomenal news! 👀

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I certainly hope they DO NOT put PPF on the car from the factory. I’m not aware of any OEM doing standard factory PPF though I’ve heard some are contemplating it. Dealers will hate that, it robs them of a massive profit add on.

Did the Evora actually come with factory PPF or was it some dealers who added it like they used to do pinstripes?

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it normal for high-end manufacturers to do that? My dealer here in Oz had mentioned it as a third-party thing (i.e. after delivery).
Some do as a factory option (Lamborghini, for example) but I don't know of any brands where it's part of the standard price (other than small areas, like wheel arches on some Porsches).

schorsch

Reaction score
Question: when I talked to some car wrapping companies in my region, they all told me that the PPF should only be added once the paint had at least 8 weeks to dry. Otherwise, removing the PPF later can damage the paint. Any experiences with that aspect and how this could relate to potential factory provided PPF? I have an Emira in order for June and would like to understand my PPF options.

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I cant see this being fact. My dealer has indicated they can fit PPF at point of delivery. Lotus only give some areas some type of protection such as sills and rear wheel arch. I am keen to hear more on this subject. Additionally some small mud flaps would help greatly.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My understanding was that paint correction was required even for a new car. At least that is what I was told by my installer. Maybe it's just a way to charge more money. However, you want the paint to be near perfect right before any PPF goes on so it makes sense to me.

LotusAmateur

Reaction score
Paint correction is definitely needed, even for a new car. There willl be irregularities even in advanced paint jobs. Need to understand how Lotus will do that for factory fitted PPF or it we are better off using an installer. The choice of PPF also matters a lot.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It's actually super common for cars to come with at least some small amount of PPE from the factory. My old daily that I got new in 2008 had some. My truck I got new in 2011 has some. I've seen it just about every car roll through a local body shop, you just wouldn't know it. I think it has to do with how modern paint has been nerfed by the EPA (water-based) and chips very easily.

Davebeats

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm driving 200 miles to bring the car home so this is great news for me. I know Tom mentioned it was something they discussed, and that the Evora came with it from the factory.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This is great news if true. I’d heard it was being discussed as well.

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I certainly hope they DO NOT put PPF on the car from the factory. I’m not aware of any OEM doing standard factory PPF though I’ve heard some are contemplating it. Dealers will hate that, it robs them of a massive profit add on.

Did the Evora actually come with factory PPF or was it some dealers who added it like they used to do pinstripes?
Why would you not want it from the factory?

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Why would you not want it from the factory?
Because I don't want it period. If I were to want it I would want to make sure the paint is fully cured and corrected before it was applied, neither of these could be done at the factory.

But, to clear this up, the Boston dealer was mistaken. The cars, at the present time, DO NOT come with 75% PPF from the factory.

Out of respect for their privacy I will not name names but according to a reliable source PPF is a current topic of discussion within Lotus. The most likely solution will be an optional port-installed option. However the factory is also considering a mini-kit as standard fitment to only protect a couple small areas, but this is still in discussions.

I'm cool with the mini kits, those protect the high impact areas and can be easily and cheaply replaced as needed.

I'll just never "wrap" a car in PPF. Dings and such are badges of honor IMHO and prove the car has been used as intended so why would I spend thousands but for no other reason in protecting the paint for the next owner? Beside, I actually enjoy the detailing process and to be perfectly frank I've never gotten less than top dollar for any car I've ever owned on resale and when you do the math I've saved well over $25000 in what PPF would have cost for all the cars I've owned in the last 10 years. And IMHO it's only been about 10 years since PPF has actually gotten to point where it didn't look like your grandmothers sofa cover.