Poll for Those with Paint Blistering / Bubbling Defect

Does your Emira have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling issues, and if it does, when was it manufactured?

• My Emira does not have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues

Votes: 86 70.5%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (Prior to 01/23)

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (01/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (02/23)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (03/23)

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (04/23)

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (05/23)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (06/23)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (07/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (08/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (09/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (10/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (After 10/23)

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
Update on my Lotus Emira:

After 4 months of paint issues and being left with Lotus HQ to resolve the matter.....

They called me today to inform me that they have given up.

They wish to offer me a replacement Lotus Emira.

Very disappointing given that they took my car back to the factory to sort.

I have no confidence left in the Lotus brand given this has dragged out for 4 months.

I think a full refund is looming
I'm glad a resolution is in sight... but I'm sad it had to work out this way for you :|

Can anyone answer this question. Why has Lotus not offered any type of explanation of the paint problem and if they have resolved the issue. I do not understand how people keep buying the Emira with no official acknowledgment of the problem by Lotus or confirmation that the problem is resolved. How can people spend 100g knowing their paint might likely fail?

Update on my Lotus Emira:

After 4 months of paint issues and being left with Lotus HQ to resolve the matter.....

They called me today to inform me that they have given up.

They wish to offer me a replacement Lotus Emira.

Very disappointing given that they took my car back to the factory to sort.

I have no confidence left in the Lotus brand given this has dragged out for 4 months.

I think a full refund is looming
Good news but disappointing how long Lotus took to get on top of the issue for you.

I am at Lotus Silverstone on Tuesday to have mine blisters checked and start the claim process.

Based on your troubles I will not let them have the car until the repair can be completed!!!

Nellie

I have 4 blisters on a rear quarter panel and probably 40 on the passenger door. The blisters on the door were only on the top lip by the glass but in the last couple of weeks have started appearing on the panel 30cm below.
I’ve been told the issue was down to some doors being left outside, but if that is the case how come others and myself are getting them on quarter panels?
I am concerned that when the repairs are completed more could come out on the quarter panel if it isn’t replaced.
I’ve now emailed lotus to list all the issues I’ve had:
1. Engine light reset no issue
2. Door lock wouldn’t open - stripped and cleaned/silicon grease
3. HVAC - ongoing issue
4. Door blistering - ongoing issue
5. Quarter panel - ongoing issue
6. Engine light - lambda values reset, test drive ok and new sensor ordered just in case.
7. Engine light back on yesterday which will be reported tomorrow.

I’ve had the car for 6 months and 1000 miles which sucks as I really like the car want to keep it.

These issues really need addressing quickly. If I ever receive my order(Lotus trying their upmost to make sure it doesn’t happen) I was planning on wrapping or PPF the car what happens when/if it needs replacing am I going to end up pulling the paint off.

My other question is, is there a colour that is bubbling worst that others, is it more metallics than solid colour

My other question is, is there a colour that is bubbling worst that others, is it more metallics than solid colour

It's not a paint problem it's a problem with the underlying composite panel.

Hence why a repaint won't solve the issue, the panel needs to be replaced.

I have 4 blisters on a rear quarter panel and probably 40 on the passenger door. The blisters on the door were only on the top lip by the glass but in the last couple of weeks have started appearing on the panel 30cm below.
I’ve been told the issue was down to some doors being left outside, but if that is the case how come others and myself are getting them on quarter panels?
I am concerned that when the repairs are completed more could come out on the quarter panel if it isn’t replaced.
I’ve now emailed lotus to list all the issues I’ve had:
1. Engine light reset no issue
2. Door lock wouldn’t open - stripped and cleaned/silicon grease
3. HVAC - ongoing issue
4. Door blistering - ongoing issue
5. Quarter panel - ongoing issue
6. Engine light - lambda values reset, test drive ok and new sensor ordered just in case.
7. Engine light back on yesterday which will be reported tomorrow.

I’ve had the car for 6 months and 1000 miles which sucks as I really like the car want to keep it.
This is where the issue begins.

Lotus Silverstone will want to opt to have the rear quarter sanded and resprayed.

They did this without my consent, because it probably made sense to THEM as my door was being replaced and paint blended.

Replacing the quarter panel entirely is a laborious job and it's more difficult to blend the paint according to them.

After 3 months they finally sent my Emira to the factory..... where it has been dumped.

Lotus HQ claim the factory does not have sufficient resources to see to my vehicle.

They would like to replace the vehicle but do not have a nimbus grey with Red Leathers (So they are absolutely snookered)

I am awaiting an update on Monday.

Every time I see a new post in this thread:
1716126572040.gif

I do not understand how people keep buying the Emira with no official acknowledgment of the problem by Lotus or confirmation that the problem is resolved. How can people spend 100g knowing their paint might likely fail?
The answer lies with the reality that many of us find everything else on the market to be either unexciting, uninteresting or unaffordable. Lotus succeeds in selling Emiras with initial issues because of bad competition.

This car is beyond fantastic to drive and I'll deal with the runaround of bubbles if/when they happen.

The answer lies with the reality that many of us find everything else on the market to be either unexciting, uninteresting or unaffordable. Lotus succeeds in selling Emiras with initial issues because of bad competition.

This car is beyond fantastic to drive and I'll deal with the runaround of bubbles if/when they happen.
Agreed.

And I guess I forgot to mention that the P-cars I considered had forums abuzz with door cards peeling back, bore scoring and headlight cracking. So, entropy is lurking around every corner.

I do not understand how people keep buying the Emira with no official acknowledgment of the problem by Lotus or confirmation that the problem is resolved. How can people spend 100g knowing their paint might likely fail?

We knew what we were getting into going with a British sports car.....

We knew what we were getting into going with a British sports car.....
I get that and I was on that same boat. I guess I was ok with mechanical problems but I’m not comfortable with paint peeling. I hope it does not happen to any new cars.

I get that and I was on that same boat. I guess I was ok with mechanical problems but I’m not comfortable with paint peeling. I hope it does not happen to any new cars.
Not trying to minimize the issue but this is par for course for lotus. I hope they're doing their best to fix them as well. Let's enjoy our cars and deal with the problems as they appear. We have a warranty and can sell if it gets to be too much.

Not trying to minimize the issue but this is par for course for lotus. I hope they're doing their best to fix them as well. Let's enjoy our cars and deal with the problems as they appear. We have a warranty and can sell if it gets to be too much.
I agree with you guys tbh.

It's just HOW the issues are resolved by Lotus HQ is what matters to me.

It's just the dreadful customer service experience which pushes you over the edge.

I still think it is the best looking car you can buy in a £110k budget

It's not a paint problem it's a problem with the underlying composite panel.

Hence why a repaint won't solve the issue, the panel needs to be replaced.
Yeah this sucks because it’s the situation I’m in now. I’m going to contact Lotus UK tomorrow so I can get a reply direct from them.

Yeah this sucks because it’s the situation I’m in now. I’m going to contact Lotus UK tomorrow so I can get a reply direct from them.
Reflecting on my 4 months wrangling with Lotus HQ.

The bottom line is they DO NOT want to replace rear quarter panels.

They just do not have the infrastructure to sort it promptly by replacing the Rear Quarter Panel.

I will be getting the motoring ombudsman involved tomorrow because I have not been offered a replacement Lotus Emira.

I have literally been left high and dry with no resolution offered.

I am of the opinion that our cars have been made by a bad batch of panels, I mean all of the panels of the car.

It's a matter of time before the others blister

Reflecting on my 4 months wrangling with Lotus HQ.

The bottom line is they DO NOT want to replace rear quarter panels.

They just do not have the infrastructure to sort it promptly by replacing the Rear Quarter Panel.

I will be getting the motoring ombudsman involved tomorrow because I have not been offered a replacement Lotus Emira.

I have literally been left high and dry with no resolution offered.

I am of the opinion that our cars have been made by a bad batch of panels, I mean all of the panels of the car.

It's a matter of time before the others blister
This sucks so much because I fitted the Milltek exhaust and coilovers which I’m considering reverting back to standard.

And I guess I forgot to mention that the P-cars I considered had forums abuzz with door cards peeling back, bore scoring and headlight cracking. So, entropy is lurking around every corner.
The difference is how each company responds to the problems. One will handle and stand behind the their brand and one will not. Worlds apart unfortunately.