Perspective on reviews

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've read the EVO article from JB and I find it even more harsh regarding the gearbox: "I can't think of a manual 'box fitted to any production car that would be trickier to manage on a circuit."
Yet it's the same engine and box fitted to Exiges and Evoras which people rave about as great on track. Doesn't really make sense to me.

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It was sports suspension and good year tyres.
That’s what has been told Evo when the received the car from Lotus, obviously.

But maybe Lotus got it wrong and they put the Touring suspension on the car…

After all I read in the last months this could well be… 🤪

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
but what I'm hearing is that the true driving enthusiasts are missing that Lotus purity of old.
Yes, yes, yes. We know this. I wish everyone else would understand this. This is a whole new thing.
If you want the old feel, get an Exige - and I may well do as well.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
"I can't think of a manual 'box fitted to any production car that would be trickier to manage on a circuit."
Yeah, and yet people drive the Exige on tracks all the time AND Silverstone race school had a load of them as their preferred car.

Still, get the DCT i4 for track, or an Exige. I will take my Emira on a few tracks this year but I will be taking it easy just to get a feel for physical limits.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes. We know this. I wish everyone else would understand this. This is a whole new thing.
If you want the old feel, get an Exige - and I may well do as well.
That's the trouble. Unless I missed the memo Lotus never said this car was going to be compromised dynamically at the expense of comfort and usability.
That's why everyone is still getting used to that idea, along with a lot of journalists

Sirtreeman

Reaction score
That's the trouble. Unless I missed the memo Lotus never said this car was going to be compromised dynamically at the expense of comfort and usability.
That's why everyone is still getting used to that idea, along with a lot of journalists
I must've missed the same memo, roll on the test drive!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That's not my reading of the reviews and I think "compromised" may be over-stating it. It's slightly softer perhaps than people were expecting but still drives like a Lotus - in terms of steering feel, turn in and ride and handling it sounds like it's a 9/10 versus an Evora 10/10. I think that's what Lotus intended, in order to make it more liveable as a daily driver and primarily a road car, plus some is a consequence of the extra weight and sound proofing etc.

We're all (me included) finding it hard to reconcile that with Gavan's statement of Emira being "an Evora turned up to 11". But what the EVO track times show is that, despite these concerns about the handling having been "softened up a bit", it's still quicker on track than a previous Exige and some other pretty quick machinery. Gav has also said it's quicker round Hethel than all except the Cup Exiges and the GT430 Evora. So by that measure it IS an Evora turned up to 11.

All the more reason why most of us are itching for more reviews, test drives and feedback from the early LDA participants.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
That's not my reading of the reviews and I think "compromised" may be over-stating it. It's slightly softer perhaps than people were expecting but still drives like a Lotus - in terms of steering feel, turn in and ride and handling it sounds like it's a 9/10 versus an Evora 10/10. I think that's what Lotus intended, in order to make it more liveable as a daily driver and primarily a road car, plus some is a consequence of the extra weight and sound proofing etc.

We're all (me included) finding it hard to reconcile that with Gavan's statement of Emira being "an Evora turned up to 11". But what the EVO track times show is that, despite these concerns about the handling having been "softened up a bit", it's still quicker on track than a previous Exige and some other pretty quick machinery. Gav has also said it's quicker round Hethel than all except the Cup Exiges and the GT430 Evora. So by that measure it IS an Evora turned up to 11.

All the more reason why most of us are itching for more reviews, test drives and feedback from the early LDA participants.
Yes. I'm very much waiting to see what a final production Emira with sport suspension and Cup2's will be able to do on a race track. It will then be interesting to see what a base Emira with sport suspension and Cup2's does compared to an FE. Then after that, a base Emira i4.

I think overall this is going to be a terrific little car.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

Fair. 'Compromised' was just chucked into my statement as a quick typo. It certainly isn't compromised, but you understand the point.
That's what happens I guess when you aren't really getting much confirmed info bar that it's "For the Drivers"
You would be itching in the Porsche marketing department to parody Lotus with their "The other sports car" with a Porsche advert stating "For the Real Drivers"
I'm just a little sad not just for myself, but for all the folk at Hethel that chucked their heart and soul into this project ❤️ They deserve some more kudos and I hope it comes with the introduction of the production spec customer cars

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone stopped to think Lotus isn't delaying to deliberately muck around undecidedly with fine adjustments or to piss us off for the sake of it? I understand the anger at Lotus but it might be out of their control and undeserved...

Everyone expected the advertised springtime announcement for Z06 pricing at April's National Corvette Museum Michelin Bash where big Corvette announcements are made annually. Every week or so I see articles saying price should be announced any day now. It still isn't. Reason being price relies on suppliers (and alternatives) who are on shortages. Even the Stingray will be built missing standard equipment (like rear reversing camera required by law) in customer deliveries.

If this is a general automotive supply chain issue not specific to Lotus, is it fair to bash Lotus? If they contractually can't disclose or hint at supplier issues to the public, should we blame their lack of communication? Not sure if that's a thing but I can see it being true for a smaller car company trying to establish strategic partnerships because beggars can't be choosers. I guess it could be fair to complain to Lotus for being in the automotive industry. Lotus could be stuck between a rock and a hard place and to address the complaints (if Lotus chooses to), your complaints can only drive them to the one option left: close shop.

So how can they be productive when supplier and alternative supplier delays and restricted PR on supplier behalves are outside their control? Put their heads down and tweak what they can on the car. That's the "excuse" they give but could genuinely be their best and only option at this time. In contrast, GM has been silent on their reasons but the C8 community seems big and keen enough to have figured [or found a leak on] this out.
I give Lotus a wide berth because they're a TINY manufacturer who are ramping up to be a bigger player, with various new models coming up.

That just........takes time. A lot of time. Not weeks, not months. Years.

Waiting for new Emira delivery is an excellent opportunity to get a fun intermediary car for now, and just enjoy it.

Good things come to those who are patient.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I still find it hard to get my head around the Emira being quicker round Hethel than an Exige 410. That would be a pretty amazing achievement for Gav and the team given that the Exige is so much lighter. Lap times are not particularly relevant in the real world of course, but they are a reasonably objective measure of overall performance. If it really can out lap an Evora GT 430 or Exige 410, and until confirmed it is still quite a big if in my mind, it would help clear up the nagging doubts about the Emira's dynamics being dumbed-down for a wider audience.

On test drives, my betting is that when real customers get to drive the car, including our own Mr Grumpy Pants, their reaction is likely to be a lot more like Harry than Jethro :)

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I still find it hard to get my head around the Emira being quicker round Hethel than an Exige 410. That would be a pretty amazing achievement for Gav and the team given that the Exige is so much lighter. Lap times are not particularly relevant in the real world of course, but they are a reasonably objective measure of overall performance. If it really can out lap an Evora GT 430 or Exige 410, and until confirmed it is still quite a big if in my mind, it would help clear up the nagging doubts about the Emira's dynamics being dumbed-down for a wider audience.

On test drives, my betting is that when real customers get to drive the car, including our own Mr Grumpy Pants, their reaction is likely to be a lot more like Harry than Jethro :)
I think they said bar the two top models. So I read that as slower than Evora GT430 and Exige GT410, but faster than Evora GT410

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
You are probably correct 🙃😇
I just need to readjust my expectation. This venting process has almost realigned my chakras 😋

Reaction score
So the Emira is softer than expected. The Evora got progressively firmer setups throughout its life with the initial NA model being the softest and this was Evo car of the year when launched. Maybe they will follow the same path with the Emira.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

I struggle with this too, the numbers don’t seem to add up.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So the Emira is softer than expected. The Evora got progressively firmer setups throughout its life with the initial NA model being the softest and this was Evo car of the year when launched. Maybe they will follow the same path with the Emira.
If you’re talking about ride, then it may have got harder listening to Harry Metcalfe. He loved the sport suspension in the Evora 410 review but really not in the Emira with sports suspension. Too hard for his liking and he mentioned it was tending towards a 911 GT3 level of firmness. Hence he asked for a touring suspension car in the test and loved it.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If you’re talking about ride, then it may have got harder listening to Harry Metcalfe. He loved the sport suspension in the Evora 410 review but really not in the Emira with sports suspension. Too hard for his liking and he mentioned it was tending towards a 911 GT3 level of firmness. Hence he asked for a touring suspension car in the test and loved it.
Yes I thought this also as watched those two videos a lot now! Just makes the reviews of soft feel on track even stranger! Love to know the differences in set up. We will find out in time I guess

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think they said bar the two top models. So I read that as slower than Evora GT430 and Exige GT410, but faster than Evora GT410
Tyres will help.

Hence the laptime improvement over an Exige S from 8 years ago should be taken with a little pinch of salt as a comparison.