Emira Reviews - a different perspective

There are many well-considered analyses of the Emira reviews on this forum, which gives a great breadth of perspective - what a tremendous resource for us all to have! A bit like the reviews themselves, there is pretty much one to align with your preconceived view - whatever that may be...

I am curious about Lotus's perspective on the recent round of reviews and if I was part of Lotus and had been involved in the product design and management for the Emira, I'd be comparing the review findings against the targets I'd set for the car - so, what do we think those are?

My guess at what Lotus set themselves as key objectives, not necessarily in priority order:
1. The Emira needs be a true Lotus where it counts, to have the Lotus DNA and handle and perform like a Lotus. __/10
2. The Emira needs to have a much broader appeal as it needs to greatly increase sales volumes. This means improving quality, reliability and usability. __/10
3. The Emira needs to benchmark much more strongly against its key competitors if it is to achieve 2. above. No secret that Cayman and Alpine were top of that list with base 911 and a few others in there too. __/10
4. The Emira needs to represent a better value proposition when you consider all its attributes together - purchase cost, practicality, desirability, ownership experience, feel-good factor, quality, reliability, total cost of ownership including depreciation. __/10
5. The Emira needs to shift the perception of Lotus in order to pave the way for success for the new wave of Lotus models.
This means:
- Reinforcing the sporting credentials while making them more accessible. __/10
- Demonstrating that Lotus can now make a high quality product. __/10
- Creating a more rounded and better defined brand with broader appeal but only to a select, self-defining group of people. __/10
6. Create a base car that will enable winning race-cars to be developed from it in order to strengthen the sporting credentials, especially among those new to the brand. __/10
7. Create a new design language that is recognisably Lotus while moving the game on and appealing to a wider market. __/10
8. Deliver a car with an "X factor" __/10

Total __/100 e.g. how close Lotus got to their own target.

Why not have a go at evaluating what the "Professional" reviews and our own analyses here are telling us about the Emira and applying your score based on how well each of the notional objectives above have been met? This is about assessing how well Lotus achieved these notional objectives; while some of the review outcomes may be superficially disappointing (overall I think they are pretty good and pretty fair) Lotus will be assessing the review against their own objectives rather than what the reviewers may deem important based on their own preferences and biases.

Just a bit of fun but let's see if if tells us anything interesting?

PS apologies everyone for the hiatus in the Emira paintings and update photos, 5 days away at the Heineken Cup final (lots of fun!) followed by a week of looking after elderly parents (clearly not quite as much fun) have kept me away but I'm back! Look out for next round of progress shots tomorrow.

Last edited:

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I suggested we create a template so that when people take delivery of their cars we can have a big thread that captures their first review/impressions. That way everyone is kind of evaluating the same thing. I believe a few people liked that idea. I was gonna work on it at the beginning of July and get input from the forum.

I would like to include some of your questions/metrics within the template.

Great post. I like to ponder/debate/analyze the position of these auto manufacturers. For me, it's just part of being an enthusiast. Especially with a brand like Lotus. Small, niche, high performance. I find Lotus to be a very intriguing company. To be honest, I just find the development of all enthusiast cars to be interesting.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I would have to be able to sit in an Emira, and drive one to be able to give a truly objective and accurate assessment of how I'd rate this. It's an excellent write-up though. Just from looking at it, I'd say Lotus has so far reached somewhere between 80-90 out of the 100 score you list. That's strictly based on reading reviews, and watching and listening to videos, and these are not final production cars yet.

Overall if they can reach 90 out of 100 for the final production car, I will consider that a resounding success, and be more than pleased to own an FE that can reach that score.

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I suggested we create a template so that when people take delivery of their cars we can have a big thread that captures their first review/impressions. That way everyone is kind of evaluating the same thing. I believe a few people liked that idea. I was gonna work on it at the beginning of July and get input from the forum.

Great post. I like to ponder/debate/analyze the position of these auto manufacturers. For me, it's just part of being an enthusiast. Especially with a brand like Lotus. Small, niche, high performance. I find Lotus to be a very intriguing company. To be honest, I just find the development of all enthusiast cars to be interesting.
I saw your suggestion and thought that was a great idea - adds some much needed structure! Feel free to copy and paste any of these metrics, I, too, find it fascinating to try and understand the marque's own perspective, I think it also adds some much needed context as to why some aspects of any car are not quite as we'd expect.

Back to the old adage of "Never judge a man 'til you've walked a mile in his shoes..."

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I would have to be able to sit in an Emira, and drive one to be able to give a truly objective and accurate assessment of how I'd rate this. It's an excellent write-up though. Just from looking at it, I'd say Lotus has so far reached somewhere between 80-90 out of the 100 score you list. That's strictly based on reading reviews, and watching and listening to videos, and these are not final production cars yet.

Overall if they can reach 90 out of 100 for the final production car, I will consider that a resounding success, and be more than pleased to own an FE that can reach that score.
Yes, absolutely right Eagle - some of these metrics would require speculation to answer before we've driven and owned the car. I'm going to take a punt at scoring it just now, then I'll score again once my DV Emira has a few miles under its belt and see what changes.

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

I love the idea 💡!!!
It will be assume to compare what other’s first impression is of the Emira.
Questions with a scale?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

This would be SUPER useful, particularly if we can convince @supersix to create a User Reviews forum where all owner and forum member review posts can be centralized. If there's a standard template that would probably really help some people get started, or remember to include their thoughts on a number of key comparative items.

I think if that does happen it will be important to not make the template mandatory though, because some people may use a "review" format to do a travelogue-style review exploring their impressions of the car rather than a more clinical report-out or performance evaluation.