Perspective on reviews

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I started thinking 4/5 or 8/10 sounds average(ish).
Great news here’s a few top cars I’d own with the same ratings from autocar, auto express and the likes…

Lamborghini hurracan
Lastest Aston Martin vantage
Aston Martin db11
Audi r8

Average doesn’t look so bad now. 😀

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Audi R8 V10 Plus must be a 11/10 and the residuals are 👌🏼that car 🚗 is sublime, literally can’t think of a single bad point well maybe the mpg😭 ugly bum maybe I’ll give you that

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Audi R8 V10 Plus must be a 11/10 and the residuals are 👌🏼that car 🚗 is sublime, literally can’t think of a single bad point well maybe the mpg😭 ugly bum maybe I’ll give you that
Or another way to look at it: why compromise? Here are some cars that got 5/5 from Autocar:

Alpine A110S
Porsche Boxster 4.0 GTS
Ferrari 458 or 488
Porsche 911 (991.2) GTS
McLaren 720S

In particular, interestingly I don't think I've heard the Boxster mentioned once on this forum - maybe the potential for top-down motoring is not important for Emira fans. In 4.0 GTS form it's a cracking little car, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more love around here.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Or another way to look at it: why compromise? Here are some cars that got 5/5 from Autocar:

Alpine A110S
Porsche Boxster 4.0 GTS
Ferrari 458 or 488
Porsche 911 (991.2) GTS
McLaren 720S

In particular, interestingly I don't think I've heard the Boxster mentioned once on this forum - maybe the potential for top-down motoring is not important for Emira fans. In 4.0 GTS form it's a cracking little car, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more love around here.
I haven't chimed in on the "Cayman is not for me" sentiment.
But it isn't.
But that is only because I'd rather have the Boxster and it will be my default if the Emira is not what I expected. The beauty of the Boxster is it does everything the Cayman does but the roof comes off and it has more luggage space.
The only reason you wouldn't have it is if you care about looks, which I don't and is probably why the Emira doesn't have as much of a hold over me as it does for a lot of prospective buyers

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can't equate how technically good a car is with how much you'll enjoy driving it. Cars like an Alfa 8c are the epitome of this - owners absolutely love them, but the reviews were dreadful, just watch one of the early reviews vs the later ones.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I did a forum job title search.

Only 0.5% of members are hairdressers.

:p
i wasnt sure whether to like, laugh, but in the end angry.... haha... i had one....
a spyder I think is wow.....
but no, why bring the convertible into it when the cayman is the direct competitor... there is enough bad press without saying why doesnt it have a folding roof hah

Zardoz

Reaction score
Another car in my stable is a BMW Z8, Car was pretty much panned in the press on debut for driving dynamics.
It is beautiful & bespoke with normal BMW running gear. Glorious S62 V8 from the beloved M5. I love it & will never part with it. 20 years on, the press now looks it with rose colored glasses. I think Harry did a recent video on it. Values have doubled since my purchase. Buy what you like, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Can't wait for my DV FE

Attachments

• Brooklyn 1.jpg
    Brooklyn 1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 57

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
i wasnt sure whether to like, laugh, but in the end angry.... haha... i had one....
a spyder I think is wow.....
but no, why bring the convertible into it when the cayman is the direct competitor... there is enough bad press without saying why doesnt it have a folding roof hah
Ha, glad you realised it was a joke :)

I can talk... I have a convertible now and had an MX5 back in the day.

Still, one of my best mates has a Mini Cabrio.... ha, do I take the piss.

IN fact, here is me taking the piss out of his car (I had hidden away some hairdresser gear in my backpack)

:):D

Navywayfarer

Reaction score
Another car in my stable is a BMW Z8, Car was pretty much panned in the press on debut for driving dynamics.
It is beautiful & bespoke with normal BMW running gear. Glorious S62 V8 from the beloved M5. I love it & will never part with it. 20 years on, the press now looks it with rose colored glasses. I think Harry did a recent video on it. Values have doubled since my purchase. Buy what you like, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Can't wait for my DV FE
So say all of us ( with their own minds )

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Can I just say County Durham is freaking beautiful and I want to visit again.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Wow. What a car - still think the Bond one being sawn in half.
Prices continue to rise. Congrats..

Sir Donald Trump

Reaction score
Ha Ha, honestly our American friends posts have been hilarious the past few days and its seem a vast majority of them are positive on the reviews. Whilst on the other side of the pond, not so much.
Quite simply, if Lotus built the car that Lotus purists wanted and were biased towards track dynamics, in 12 months time the Lotus factory would have been turned into a turnip farm
They built a balanced and beautiful car which visually could go head to head with the exotics. Ive never wanted a Lotus for all of the reason the masses never did, built out of marmalade and plastic toilet seats for track day enthusiasts.
But this car will save the company and give Lotus a whole new breed of buyer.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
WOW.... how did that one bad EVO video do so much damage and wipe out so many positive reviews
It’s fairly simple, the ONE THING no one ever expected was the handling to called into question. All things considered even Jethro commented had Lotus been on site and been able to swap in the proper track setup this would have been a footnote. I don’t, for a minute, believe the handling is compromised on the Emira. What I do believe is the Goodyear tires are crap for anything above 8/10ths which jives with my 40+ years sampling every brand of performance tire on the planet. Michelin rule this space, Goodyear is a bit player.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It’s fairly simple, the ONE THING no one ever expected was the handling to called into question. All things considered even Jethro commented had Lotus been on site and been able to swap in the proper track setup this would have been a footnote. I don’t, for a minute, believe the handling is compromised on the Emira. What I do believe is the Goodyear tires are crap for anything above 8/10ths which jives with my 40+ years sampling every brand of performance tire on the planet. Michelin rule this space, Goodyear is a bit player.
My 'issue' with this and with Lotus is that they offered this as a track set up. So it should work on the track, end of. And yes tyres make a massive difference to times on track, but they dont necessarily ruin the dynamics. So is there more of an issue at play with general set-up. I hope Lotus do just swap the tyres out for EVOs retest and don't reconfigure the geometry etc to get a result that won't actually be replicated for customer production cars...

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
My 'issue' with this and with Lotus is that they offered this as a track set up. So it should work on the track, end of. And yes tyres make a massive difference to times on track, but they dont necessarily ruin the dynamics. So is there more of an issue at play with general set-up. I hope Lotus do just swap the tyres out for EVOs retest and don't reconfigure the geometry etc to get a result that won't actually be replicated for customer production cars...
I believe based on what @TomE said that this setup was given to Henry for his trip, and when the car was brought back and given to Jethro, he took it to the track which was something he didn't tell Lotus he was going to do, and then he brought it back to Lotus without telling them that's what he did. Then he drops his review saying how Lotus just didn't reach the standard he expected.

The Goodyears were for Henry who was driving in weather conditions. This is what that combo is for, it's not optimized for track. If you've ordered the sport setup, then you should expect to use the Cup2's or an equivalent track tire, not an all-weather street tire.

We'll see how different Jethro's review is with the proper setup.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Before the reviews I remember reading the Emira would be at home both on road and track. I remember something about a silly number of compounds Gavin tested till he was happy. I remember the touring set up fine for track but sports better.

All of a sudden it’s everything else’s fault but the car. With all the information and marketing the Sports suspension on Goodyears should have been perfectly fine on track. What was the point of all those compounds if not?! His was not the only review that mentioned less than ideal handling - a few other reports of understear and the front end not quite there.

If that combination was so bad Lotus should not have offered it. They did because they felt it was ok (or the best they could do within their constraints) - that’s what should be discussed not blaming a tire…like it put itself on the car.

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I believe based on what @TomE said that this setup was given to Henry for his trip, and when the car was brought back and given to Jethro, he took it to the track which was something he didn't tell Lotus he was going to do, and then he brought it back to Lotus without telling them that's what he did. Then he drops his review saying how Lotus just didn't reach the standard he expected.

The Goodyears were for Henry who was driving in weather conditions. This is what that combo is for, it's not optimized for track. If you've ordered the sport setup, then you should expect to use the Cup2's or an equivalent track tire, not an all-weather street tire.

We'll see how different Jethro's review is with the proper setup.
But it's still optimised for track is my point