Votes: 113 43.6%
  • Coloured Full Wrap

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • No Wrap

Votes: 41 15.8%

• Total voters

Motodoc8

Reaction score
I will be receiving my Emira šŸ˜ in a couple days and am looking for suggestions for an experienced PPF shop in the Tacoma/Seattle area. This will likely be their first Emira, so I am looking for a shop that is well-versed in custom/high-end applications. Thanks-

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Question for those who have experience with PPF:

My car is one of those stuck waiting for a dingy, in the meantime my dealer has begun delivering cars and brought in someone theyā€™ve worked with a long time whoā€™s an early days PPF installer with 30 years experience. Iā€™d like to work with my dealership but wanted to check out the work their installer is doing first, so I went in today to see the first cars the installer has been working on and finishing. I was very surprised to see gaps of Iā€™d say 2-3mm along all the edges, looked a bit to me like a pre-cut DIY job that looked a bit like a budget option IMO.

Cost for full car would convert from CAD to around 7K USD (Toronto is expensive like New York). Theyā€™re also not doing the black rear wheel vents that I feel like Iā€™d seen done in other PPF YouTube videos which is an area that should get a lot of rocks. Another thing is they offer 3M and Xpel for the same price, I asked and he said they are both 8MM thickness. He thinks anything more is no good for a sports car and he thinks 3M is much better than Xpel - who am I to question someone with 30 years experience but Iā€™ve probably looked at a dozen online comparisons and canā€™t fine one that doesnā€™t say Xpel is better. Granted, Iā€™ve probably never looked at ppls cars that have had PPF that up close until now, but I donā€™t want visible edges everywhere with exposed gaps if thatā€™s not how a top end place does it. Am I right to be weary or is this normal and better off using someone my dealer has worked with for a long time whoā€™ve been around?

4MIR3

Emira Fan
Reaction score

My car is one of those stuck waiting for a dingy, in the meantime my dealer has begun delivering cars and brought in someone theyā€™ve worked with a long time whoā€™s an early days PPF installer with 30 years experience. Iā€™d like to work with my dealership but wanted to check out the work their installer is doing first, so I went in today to see the first cars the installer has been working on and finishing. I was very surprised to see gaps of Iā€™d say 2-3mm along all the edges, looked a bit to me like a pre-cut DIY job that looked a bit like a budget option IMO.

Cost for full car would convert from CAD to around 7K USD (Toronto is expensive like New York). Theyā€™re also not doing the black rear wheel vents that I feel like Iā€™d seen done in other PPF YouTube videos which is an area that should get a lot of rocks. Another thing is they offer 3M and Xpel for the same price, I asked and he said they are both 8MM thickness. He thinks anything more is no good for a sports car and he thinks 3M is much better than Xpel - who am I to question someone with 30 years experience but Iā€™ve probably looked at a dozen online comparisons and canā€™t fine one that doesnā€™t say Xpel is better. Granted, Iā€™ve probably never looked at ppls cars that have had PPF that up close until now, but I donā€™t want visible edges everywhere with exposed gaps if thatā€™s not how a top end place does it. Am I right to be weary or is this normal and better off using someone my dealer has worked with for a long time whoā€™ve been around?
Yikes!!!
Stay away! Not all installers are the same. 30years experience??? LMAO. The best installers show ZERO evidence of PPF... no edges, no seams or relief cuts. This is the guy I use:

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Do you have any information about what PPF these people were installing?

RyanGphoto

Reaction score

You might get more of a response in the PPF thread, but I have had several cars with PPF, and I can tell you I have never seen a seam on any of them. So for their to be a gap or you can see edges and they want to charge that much, go elsewhere. I am sure in your city there are a ton of shops.. Go check them out.. Ask if they do precut work or will cut the product themselves. The Emira is new and so the 3m and Xpel products might not have a perfect fit just yet (maybe they do and this guy isn't using them).. I dunno, but I wouldn't pay that much and still see seams, no way.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Some of the worst workmanship I've seen (in any trade) comes from people who love to brag/exaggerate about their experience level. PPF film and install 30 years (didnt know its been around that long) ago isnt the same install process as now. Bought a FD RX7 with that old type PPF/install and it was terrible. Had visible seams that lifted easy.
Seriously doubt 3M is better than XPEL. STEK vs XPEL maybe.
Biggest indicator is look at his current work (sounds like you did). If you dont like how it looks find someone else who can show you acceptable work and give references.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Some of the worst workmanship I've seen (in any trade) comes from people who love to brag/exaggerate about their experience level. PPF film and install 30 years (didnt know its been around that long) ago isnt the same install process as now. Bought a FD RX7 with that old type PPF/install and it was terrible. Had visible seams that lifted easy.
Biggest indicator is look at his current work (sounds like you did). If you dont like how it looks find someone else who can show you acceptable work and give references.
Very little of this back and forth we have on the forum is useful without knowing what product we are talking about and who the installers are.

VroomPop

Reaction score

You can tell our cars are getting closer! Same experience yesterday. Visited a ppf installer. Was surprised by the gaps around many of the panels. Never really looked that closely. I'm out. Ceramic will do

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You can tell our cars are getting closer! Same experience yesterday. Visited a ppf installer. Was surprised by the gaps around many of the panels. Never really looked that closely. I'm out. Ceramic will do
What kind of PPF? Brand?

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

You might get more of a response in the PPF thread, but I have had several cars with PPF, and I can tell you I have never seen a seam on any of them. So for their to be a gap or you can see edges and they want to charge that much, go elsewhere. I am sure in your city there are a ton of shops.. Go check them out.. Ask if they do precut work or will cut the product themselves. The Emira is new and so the 3m and Xpel products might not have a perfect fit just yet (maybe they do and this guy isn't using them).. I dunno, but I wouldn't pay that much and still see seams, no way.
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking - 30 years of using old techniques and not keeping up with the times. This is pretty bad right?

I like my dealer but this doesnā€™t look ā€œnormalā€ā€¦

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpeg
    IMG_2055.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 219

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Very little of this back and forth we have on the forum is useful without knowing what product we are talking about and who the installers are.
They use 3M and XPEL, I asked and they said both are 8MM and itā€™s pre-cut. He says he 3M is better but I havenā€™t heard that anywhere else - price is the same for either.

Other speciality shops I checked out said they would use a combo of pre-cut and have their own equipment cut the scans with extra to wrap around edges depending on which sections theyā€™re dong and the only place they wouldnā€™t wrap around is if there are 2 adjoining panels where there isnā€™t space. Most are using Xpel. And recommend ceramic where they would use a different ceramic for the PPF painted parts and something else for the glass and wheels.

drjazzsk

Reaction score
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking - 30 years of using old techniques and not keeping up with the times. This is pretty bad right?

Yeah I would never pay for that. That is really bad. Looks like pre-cut pieces and I believe even with that, an installer can modify it to over size the pieces so they wrap around so the edges aren't seen. Aside from aesthetics, the coverage isn't as good as it should be, plus if there ever is any lift on the edge of the film, it will attract dirt and that looks very bad as it shows up very dark against the paint.

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah, when Iā€™ve looked at other pplā€™s cars with PPF they look great but Iā€™ve never looked up close like I want to for my Emira and now Iā€™m not sure if what Iā€™ve seen is really how it is, or if this is just a half ass jobā€¦

RichiEmira

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I would be furious if I could see all of those seams. Iā€™d rather not have PPF than see that many edges.

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I would be furious if I could see all of those seams. Iā€™d rather not have PPF than see that many edges.
Thanks for that, my thinking exactly - just wanted to know if Iā€™m crazy, but I think consensus here has confirmed Iā€™m not and need to look elsewhere.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Jesus, those are bad. I would be pissed if that was my car.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Those photos are 100% a pre-cut and it's quite common to see that at many PPF installers. Check out some non-exotic cars at your local cars and coffee and you'll see others like that. They can modify the patterns to be oversized in order to cover most edges, but it's clear this install did not attempt that. The PPF on my daily looks exactly the same. I'm not too upset because it's just my daily and it cost like $4k for the whole car back in 2018.

For the Emira, I'll be looking for someone who does custom wraps with either STEK or XPEL and wraps as many edges as possible. It will cost more, but it will be worth it if I keep the car as long as I think I will.

driv300mph

Reaction score
anyone get PPF at Earth Motors yet?

hows it look?

they said they outsource it to xpel professionals but i suppose they all probably say that
I would avoid dealer install and also XPEL film. XPEL is definitely not the best film; they're just the best at marketing

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts