• No Wrap

Votes: 41 15.8%

• Total voters

ttvetdoc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Track pack (full front, fenders, rocker panels plus black roof) PPF STEK Dyno, 10 yr. Ceramic coating full car including wheels off treatment, leather treatment - $4500 Charlotte, NC (High end shop)

Rupes

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the clear coat is thicker/thinner on the Emira compared with other modern cars? I recognize technological advancements have made clear coats thinner in recent years, but haven't seen anything definitive for the Emira specifically using a paint gauge.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Does anyone know if the clear coat is thicker/thinner on the Emira compared with other modern cars? I recognize technological advancements have made clear coats thinner in recent years, but haven't seen anything definitive for the Emira specifically using a paint gauge.

It most likely is not, most paint automation systems are about cost savings and consistency not increased paint thickness.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It would take a very expensive paint gauge to get a thickness reading as the panels are composite. Some body shops might have one able to do it (as well as break down the thickness of each layer), but even most detailer won't.
Thickness of paint/clear is only getting thinner in new cars. Paint technology has improved and less paint means more savings for the manufacturer.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It would take a very expensive paint gauge to get a thickness reading as the panels are composite. Some body shops might have one able to do it (as well as break down the thickness of each layer), but even most detailer won't.
Thickness of paint/clear is only getting thinner in new cars. Paint technology has improved and less paint means more savings for the manufacturer.
You are correct there regarding the improvements. I remember in the 70s and 80s Rolls Royce had multiple thick layers of paint that were eventually paint corrected and hand polished with yet more layers of super hard wax. That was in the days when they were using oil based paints. Sounds like a great process but I wonder how hard it was to repair compared to todays paint?

ameeriklane

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
For those of you picking up at Gator and looking to get it done nearby, I fond one place (IndyBra) that's about 2 miles away. They want $3,700 for front wrap (includes some side/rear stuff like rocker panels and fenders), then $1,295 for full ceramic. 10% discount if paying by cash.

Gator expects Lotus to shortly be offering an official option (which would then be covered under Lotus warranty), but just posting this info in case it's useful

My plan, if Gator doesn't have the Lotus option when my car is ready, is to put on XPel Tracwrap as a short-term fix and drive it to an installer in my area who I've worked with before, so then I'll have local service should I need any adjustments.

Xroyalnavy

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Less paint, less weight.

VroomPop

Reaction score
Possibly stupid question: anyone know if the "frunk that's not a frunk" cover has to be removed to do PPF on the front of the car? Was this an issue? Maybe fretting too much but concerned about aftermarket installers trying to open that cover without special knowledge.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Possibly stupid question: anyone know if the "frunk that's not a frunk" cover has to be removed to do PPF on the front of the car? Was this an issue? Maybe fretting too much but concerned about aftermarket installers trying to open that cover without special knowledge.

Doesn't have to be fully removed off it's hinges, but the installer will need to tilt it up to apply PPF to the overlapping areas on both sides.

drjazzsk

Reaction score
Someone remind me: why is there no frunk? Heck even bugatti has one. Not sure there are any mid engines that dont have one. I forget what was going on in that area to not have one.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Someone remind me: why is there no frunk? Heck even bugatti has one. Not sure there are any mid engines that dont have one. I forget what was going on in that area to not have one.
It’s dedicated to the air how and heat reduction. Supposedly with a frunk you can’t design the best airflow routes for the best downforce.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just provide them with a copy of the appropriate page from the manual, should give them all the knowledge they need.

1710237983405.png

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My dealer has provided me with some details regarding a "Lotus approved" PPF option for the front of the car, or optionally the front plus the roof. He says it's the same service (from the same vendor) that was available for the Evora GT.

I'm wondering if this is a genuinely high-quality option from a detailing perspective, or if it's simply a "get it done" me-too sort of service that Lotus happens to be granting approval on. Does anyone on the forum who bought an Evora GT have any feedback on this?

1710251311839.png

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My dealer has provided me with some details regarding a "Lotus approved" PPF option for the front of the car, or optionally the front plus the roof. He says it's the same service (from the same vendor) that was available for the Evora GT.

I'm wondering if this is a genuinely high-quality option from a detailing perspective, or if it's simply a "get it done" me-too sort of service that Lotus happens to be granting approval on. Does anyone on the forum who bought an Evora GT have any feedback on this?

View attachment 38689
I believe all Evora GT’s had PPF done before they arrived at dealerships and the cost was bundled into the MSRP.

Panel coverage was very similar to Package 1, minus door handles and gas cap. Mine is holding up just fine after 3 years. Installation is a template cut and edges are not wrapped.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 38689

The factory PPF on my GT is decent. It's not yellowing or anything, but the cuts could be better on the inside part of the front wheel pressure release vents and some of the edges aren't wrapped for that seemless look. You can zoom in on this pic to see what I mean...

1000017276.jpg

Otherwise it does the job! I'd want to know exactly what type of film they are using and if it comes with any sort of warranty and paint correction before. My buddy got a couple quotes for his upcoming Emira and front end, pillars, and roof came in around $2900 from our respected local shop. Another shop wanted almost $9k. 😂

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have mine booked in at All That Gleams in Surrey who do work for Bell and Colville. They were recommended way back near the start of this thread and Tom, the owner, has been really great. I went for the front end package plus doors plus ceramic coating and was happy with the price.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You are correct there regarding the improvements. I remember in the 70s and 80s Rolls Royce had multiple thick layers of paint that were eventually paint corrected and hand polished with yet more layers of super hard wax. That was in the days when they were using oil based paints. Sounds like a great process but I wonder how hard it was to repair compared to todays paint?
Not sure about the repair difficulty as I'm not a painter, but those older cars were also all single stage paints. Correcting techniques were also very different than today's methods as heat was a good thing. Now you want to avoid it as much as possible.