• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Paint blistering on the Rear Quarter Panel...!!! Am I the first??

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
QUICK UPDATE

Lotus CS called me AM this morning and were more willing to replace the Rear Quarter Panel.

They are not committed to it as of yet because the Lotus Warranty Team would have to approve it.

I made it clear to them today that under NO CIRCUMSTANCE my car should be painted at a bodyshop.

It is to much of a large area I'm my mind to paint and blend with a different batch of Nimbus Grey Paint.

I have expressed to them that my Emira should go back to the factory for the paint warranty repairs. Possibly replace all the panels to get the right match.

If not Refund or Replace the car.
Excellent, hold firm

OP
Yas.totti10

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
UPDATE

Lotus HQ have been stringing me along for 2 weeks telling me that they would get this issue sorted properly...

They agreed that the Rear Quarter Panel should be replaced with a new panel from factory.

SHOCKING EMAIL TODAY

Well well well!!!! Email from LOTUS HQ informs me OF VERY GOOD NEWS!!! (In their mind)

The body shop have sanded down and painted over the microblisters on the rear quarter panel

(Without my approval)

This has been resolved to the "highest possible standard" according to them.

All work was approved from Lotus Warranty team without liasing with me or even asking me.

Car is now back at the dealership

What a way to make you feel like an outsider towards a car that you own :(

I am feeling very disheartened now.

OP
Yas.totti10

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
It all feels like a conspiracy...cover up job

I was never privy to knowing where exactly the blisters were on the rear quarter panel.

Everything was managed without any communication.

Now I am supposed to be happy with a panel that will inevitably Fail.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
UPDATE

Lotus HQ have been stringing me along for 2 weeks telling me that they would get this issue sorted properly...

They agreed that the Rear Quarter Panel should be replaced with a new panel from factory.

SHOCKING EMAIL TODAY

Well well well!!!! Email from LOTUS HQ informs me OF VERY GOOD NEWS!!! (In their mind)

The body shop have sanded down and painted over the microblisters on the rear quarter panel

(Without my approval)

This has been resolved to the "highest possible standard" according to them.

All work was approved from Lotus Warranty team without liasing with me or even asking me.

Car is now back at the dealership

What a way to make you feel like an outsider towards a car that you own :(

I am feeling very disheartened now.
That’s your reason to reject. It’s all down to costs.

OP
Yas.totti10

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
That’s your reason to reject. It’s all down to costs.
Thanks Wonza!!!!!

You've been spot on all along.... the response I had today infuriated me!

Here is some of it

"The necessary repairs have been meticulously executed by our skilled Lotus centre staff, following the precise directives of the warranty team to restore the car to its optimal condition. With unwavering dedication and a commitment to excellence, our team takes immense pride in their work, and we are fully confident that you will be nothing short of delighted with the exceptional results.

In the rare event that any imperfections with the rear panel should surface upon repossessing the vehicle, we are fully prepared to swiftly arrange for the replacement of the panel to ensure your complete satisfaction and peace of mind.

While we understand that this may not be the news you were anticipating, please rest assured that we stand behind the high quality of our work"

What a load of Tosh!!!!!!!

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks Wonza!!!!!

You've been spot on all along.... the response I had today infuriated me!

Here is some of it

"The necessary repairs have been meticulously executed by our skilled Lotus centre staff, following the precise directives of the warranty team to restore the car to its optimal condition. With unwavering dedication and a commitment to excellence, our team takes immense pride in their work, and we are fully confident that you will be nothing short of delighted with the exceptional results.

In the rare event that any imperfections with the rear panel should surface upon repossessing the vehicle, we are fully prepared to swiftly arrange for the replacement of the panel to ensure your complete satisfaction and peace of mind.

While we understand that this may not be the news you were anticipating, please rest assured that we stand behind the high quality of our work"

What a load of Tosh!!!!!!!
Yeah this is enough for me to cancel my order. The fact that the Evora had paint problems and now the Emira is having similar issues is not a good sign. Imagine being in the US and trying to get Lotus to warranty. There has been zero communication from Lotus about the issue that I know of. How can people buy a product with a known issue that has not been addressed by the seller? People saying it is just an early production issue are clearly in denial. I’m loving my GT3 and will stick with it. Probably revisit in a couple years if bespoke colors and paint issue is clearly resolved. Good luck!

OP
Yas.totti10

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
Yeah this is enough for me to cancel my order. The fact that the Evora had paint problems and now the Emira is having similar issues is not a good sign. Imagine being in the US and trying to get Lotus to warranty. There has been zero communication from Lotus about the issue that I know of. How can people buy a product with a known issue that has not been addressed by the seller? People saying it is just an early production issue are clearly in denial. I’m loving my GT3 and will stick with it. Probably revisit in a couple years if bespoke colors and paint issue is clearly resolved. Good luck!
I've been 6 weeks without my car now.

It gets tiring being treated like it your fault that a brand new car has these embarrassing issues.

Lotus Customer Service is classless.

It's like their measure of success is how much they can leave you hating them and regret buying a Lotus Emira.

I own my own business...

Rule number 1..

Treat your customers well!!!!

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I've been 6 weeks without my car now.

It gets tiring being treated like it your fault that a brand new car has these embarrassing issues.

Lotus Customer Service is classless.

It's like their measure of success is how much they can leave you hating them and regret buying a Lotus Emira.

I own my own business...

Rule number 1..

Treat your customers well!!!!
6 weeks:mad:

I feel your pain. It might work for some people but not me. The culture of corporate Lotus is becoming undesirable. Best of luck to you. So sad because I still feel it is one of the best looking cars available.

OP
Yas.totti10

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
6 weeks:mad:

I feel your pain. It might work for some people but not me. The culture of corporate Lotus is becoming undesirable. Best of luck to you. So sad because I still feel it is one of the best looking cars available.
I completely agree with you with regards to the cars look etc

It takes the biscuit the my wifes local MINI garage and their customer service always impresses me.

It signals to you how bad you are being treated

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Now I am supposed to be happy with a panel that will inevitably Fail.
Hi Yas.totti10: I have 3 little pimple blemishes on my near side rear quarter panel that I intend to point out to the dealer when I next pop passed.
When I bought my car it was pre owned with 2400 miles on the clock. There were some stone chips on the front bump that I hand repaired by a trusted paint sprayers. They did the localised repair, including blending it in and re-lacquering the whole pumper.

I’d be interested to know why you think the panel wise

OP
Yas.totti10

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
The doors, rear quarter panels, and tailgate are all made of the same material that seems to be prone to this paint bubbling issue. Sanding the rear quarter panel down won't do anything, it will fix it temporarily and it will bubble again.
I believe KitKat is spot on with regards to this issue.

I have looked into the material composite and manufacturing process and this simple conclusion is very accurate. The panel is DEFECTED if bubbles are present.

Sadly with regards to the Lotus Warranty Team.... I feel all warranty repairs are looked at according to what is best for their budget towards an issue arising.

A good indicator for this is......

My driver side door was a 4 week long daily battle to move from their suggestion to sand and paint TO change the door panel.

Drevil

Reaction score
I ran into this exact issue with my elise a few years ago and it continued to worsen. It was the both doors. I had them stripped down and resprayed, it happened again!!!! just reading this literally gave me the shivers and makes me want to cancel my order. The seattle dealership has 15k non refundable of my money and that makes me sick.

OP
Yas.totti10

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
Is there no limit on your (Emira owners) acceptance of schit build issues?
I think that runs through both us as consumers and Lotus HQ given how my experience is transpiring.

They act like it's normal and acceptable 🤦