Ok, I'm saying it - the infotainment system sucks (but who cares)

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I can't find any definitive information regarding Emira and Android Automotive.
One thing to note is that there are two ways of doing Android Automotive, with and without GAS (Google Automotive Services). With GAS means that it includes google services such as Google Assistant/Maps/Play Store. Without it I imagine it'll be less obvious due to the lack of Google apps etc.
Wikipedia has the Eletre and Emeya down as having Android Automotive (without GAS), but there is no mention of the Emira. But of course Wikipedia isn't necessarily a reliable source.
The Emira system is supposed to be a rehash of the AA setup from the Lynk & Co 01 and the recent Volvo cars. Same displays, same buttons, same functions. They even reused big chunks of the manual from Volvo.
I can't speak for the Lynk & Co system (AA without GAS according to wiki) but It's definitely not a rehashed AA setup from Volvo in the Emira. Volvo use a GAS implementation of Android Automotive with default navigation handled by Google Maps etc. Also you cannot actually use Android Auto with the Volvo implementation, only Apple CarPlay.
Here's info from the DCY11 technical manual indicating the OS:
I'd find it strange if the Emira was running on Android 9 as it was released in 2018. The first Android Automotive release was with Android 11, and latest seems to be 13 with 14 incoming.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I can't speak for the Lynk & Co system (AA without GAS according to wiki) but It's definitely not a rehashed AA setup from Volvo in the Emira. Volvo use a GAS implementation of Android Automotive with default navigation handled by Google Maps etc. Also you cannot actually use Android Auto with the Volvo implementation, only Apple CarPlay.

I'd find it strange if the Emira was running on Android 9 as it was released in 2018. The first Android Automotive release was with Android 11, and latest seems to be 13 with 14 incoming.
It's my understanding that the Volvo system and the Lynk & Co system use the same hardware. It's interesting that they have different levels of AA implementation. It makes sense that Volvo would have the full boat, being a premium brand, but it's somewhat annoying that Lotus wouldn't have it considering their brand positioning even further upmarket. Maybe the Volvo UX team insisted on it?

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've a 2024 Volvo XC60 in my driveway which has a very obvious android automotive fitted. If Emira really runs on Automotive they did a hella good job hiding it. The infotainment being listed as Android 9.0 also speaks against it imo. Android based infotainment != Android Automotive.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've a 2024 Volvo XC60 in my driveway which has a very obvious android automotive fitted. If Emira really runs on Automotive they did a hella good job hiding it. The infotainment being listed as Android 9.0 also speaks against it imo. Android based infotainment != Android Automotive.
I totally get what you're saying. What's going to be interesting is to see what the hardware is capable of once a decent tinkerer gets a spare unit to investigate.