Oil pan baffles require replacement?

Martylemoo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is there a reason why owners prefer baffled pans to dry sumps?
In this use case the baffled sump makes more sense, it’s more cost effective, it solves any issues of oil starvation in standard/mild modded Emiras on track rubber, and it’s a lot simpler when it comes to install.

If you intend on going full GT race car conversion on slicks then 100% the sensible choice would be dry sump.

I just do not feel the Emira as it is out the box comes anywhere near requiring a dry sump and the complications that come with fitment.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Dry sump introduces significant complexity and multiple additional points of failure. Generally dry sump approaches are only adopted in racing contexts or a scenario where it is factory engineered to be a dry sump engine.

A booster pump like an Accusump is not not a dry sump system, FYI. Those do work well as an alternative to oil pan baffles, or (typically) in addition to them.

GRP

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A dry sump is more of a race oriented setup.
It requires a large reserve tank of oil, belt driven oil pump, different pan & pickup,different oil lines added etc etc. If the car didnt come with it from new (Mclaren engines, Lambo etc) then its its pretty large undertaking to install and requires extra maintenance.
For a street driven car adding a dry sump doesnt make any sense really. Just do a baffled sump and call it a day.

_w_

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How much track use / how many days a year before you need to be considering this upgrade?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
How much track use / how many days a year before you need to be considering this upgrade?

Depends on how fast you are and what sorts of forces the car will see at the tracks you're at.

If you're going to be pulling >= 1.3Gs you should be upgrading to baffles. And I'm not talking about a brief spike in Gs -- consistent Gs.

IMHO if you're going to see any track time it's better safe than sorry.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Depends on how fast you are and what sorts of forces the car will see at the tracks you're at.

If you're going to be pulling >= 1.3Gs you should be upgrading to baffles. And I'm not talking about a brief spike in Gs -- consistent Gs.

IMHO if you're going to see any track time it's better safe than sorry.
Technically a fast driver who is very smooth with inputs can even experience this problem on a freeway cloverleaf.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Technically a fast driver who is very smooth with inputs can even experience this problem on a freeway cloverleaf.

Maybe I'm slow or something but I've never pulled 1.3Gs on a freeway cloverleaf -- if I did you should probably take my license away.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Maybe I'm slow or something but I've never pulled 1.3Gs on a freeway cloverleaf -- if I did you should probably take my license away.
It doesn't actually take 1.3 G to tilt the thing enough to potentially get starvation. Anything above 1G is usually starting to be a concern depending on some factors, including the camber of the driving surface, the amount of oil in the pan, how high you are in the RPM band, etc.

I don't know which cornering direction is more of a problem for the Emira, but usually one side is the problematic one.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It doesn't actually take 1.3 G to tilt the thing enough to potentially get starvation. Anything above 1G is usually starting to be a concern depending on some factors, including the camber of the driving surface, the amount of oil in the pan, how high you are in the RPM band, etc.

I don't know which cornering direction is more of a problem for the Emira, but usually one side is the problematic one.

I'll be datalogging oil pressures so I'll let y'all know :D