oh FFS !! (v6 vs i4 debate in my head)

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I know I won't get an answer here, as there will be mixed opinions, but maybe writing this down will help..

I have been i4 from day one... cheaper, lower running costs, DCT, newer design engine, lighter etc etc

Then Shmee gets a V6 and I start listening to the v6, the more videos of any v6 Emira (VP 007 etc and the Melbourne car) - now I am thinking - . I then listen to a video of me and my son test driving an Evora 400 - and his giggle as the v6 blare comes on song......

so.. now I am thinking - will I regret not getting the v6, last ICE car etc - the emotional connection with the noise it makes.

I am not a massive fan of the gearbox in the Evora (the change wasn't great) - but supposedly Lotus have made it much better in the Emira. The Manual vs DCT discussion is a relevant one, but right now in my head, I will likely regret not having the v6 noise more than the DCT gearbox....

Opinions are welcome of course.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I know I won't get an answer here, as there will be mixed opinions, but maybe writing this down will help..

I have been i4 from day one... cheaper, lower running costs, DCT, newer design engine, lighter etc etc

Then that twat Shmee gets a V6 and I start listening to the v6, the more videos of any v6 Emira (VP 007 etc and the Melbourne car) - now I am thinking - . I then listen to a video of me and my son test driving an Evora 400 - and his giggle as the v6 blare comes on song......

so.. now I am thinking - will I regret not getting the v6, last ICE car etc - the emotional connection with the noise it makes.

I am not a massive fan of the gearbox in the Evora (the change wasn't great) - but supposedly Lotus have made it much better in the Emira. The Manual vs DCT discussion is a relevant one, but right now in my head, I will likely regret not having the v6 noise more than the DCT gearbox....

Opinions are welcome of course.......
You and I are in the Same boat….

I4 = quicker shift, less hassle in traffic, more focus on road, lighter and quicker. Less noise but more mpg for touring. AMG engine with 8 sp DCT.. Lower VED. Upgradable with a tune.
V6 = huge emotional connection of noise and manual box. Toyota reliability. proven tech in a lotus. No ADAS. 3 cats but no PPF. Higher VED. lower mpg for touring. Slightly slower than i4 (prob). Max’s out BHP. Toyota engine & Avensis gearbox!?

Same debate in my head too….

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm sticking with i4 for all of the reasons listed above, and trusting in Lotus to make it sound great too......

If you can find "Lotus - A New Dawn" online or on catchup services there's an early Evora-based i4 test mule startup about 3 minutes in..... ;)

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
One thing that intrigue me is the combining the M139 engine with electro-hydraulic pump for the hydraulic steering rack….. more complicated maintainence in the long run? Ie. Replacement of the pump down road?

OP
Speedluvver

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If only lotus would release more info on the i4 exhaust note!!!
I know !!!

I just listen to the a45s videos and it makes my heart sink... hence the v6 pang

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
On a plus, my wife hates loud exhaust noises and coming from my EV daily, any exhaust noise is a bonus. I set the bar pretty low….

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I know !!!

I just listen to the a45s videos and it makes my heart sink... hence the v6 pang

It's funny, I have been wondering about going in the other direction from V6 to I4. Since I have the luxury/pain of being in BASE camp I should be able to hear lots of opinions on both drivetrains so I am just staying open. My STI has a 4 cylinder and it sounds great with an aftermarket exhaust. I am not as concerned as I used to be for a certain exhaust note. To be honest, sometimes I like something that is a little more quiet.

Is there not any aftermarket options for the I4 to give it a better sound?

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's funny, I have been wondering about going in the other direction from V6 to I4. Since I have the luxury/pain of being in BASE camp I should be able to hear lots of opinions on both drivetrains so I am just staying open. My STI has a 4 cylinder and it sounds great with an aftermarket exhaust. I am not as concerned as I used to be for a certain exhaust note. To be honest, sometimes I like something that is a little more quiet.

Is there not any aftermarket options for the I4 to give it a better sound?
There isn't even a market yet, let alone an aftermarket - the mid-engine 2WD configuration, exhaust system and engine map are unique to Lotus....

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/lotus-a-new-dawn

It's gone from YouTube now but can be found above (UK and VPN users only, probably.....)

i4 Evora-based test mule sound (admittedly only startup and tickover and probably a development exhaust) from around 2 1/2 minutes in....
Just watched it…. Totally missed that bit when I watched it last year….

Totally reassured….

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Which Schmee video? The one where he rides with Jenson Button? Where a former F1 champ shows a genuine look of glee at the noise when he puts his foot in it? The one where they both comment on how glorious the noise is multiple times? That one? The one where Schmee sits in stunned silence not expecting it to sound, "that good"?

I watch that video daily.

;)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Get the V6 with manual. It has a limited run, and a V6 with manual will have no trouble being sold in 2 or 3 years. Then you can get the i4, which by that time will have any issues ironed out if there are any, and maybe even have a higher performance version. It's also going to take a year or two after production for aftermarket go-fast stuff to start showing up for the i4, so by the time you get one there might be more choices in that area.

There's also the possibility that you may decide to keep the V6. There's going to be plenty of i4's with DCT, as that's all they're going to make, and they'll be making them until 2030. V6 production ends in 2026.

OP
Speedluvver

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Which Schmee video? The one where he rides with Jenson Button? Where a former F1 champ shows a genuine look of glee at the noise when he puts his foot in it? The one where they both comment on how glorious the noise is multiple times? That one? The one where Schmee sits in stunned silence not expecting it to sound, "that good"?

I watch that video daily.

;)
yeah the latest one in his museum (can't say the name he uses - weirds me out)