August delivery dilemma (UK)

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve just had confirmation that my car will be August delivery and I am wondering whether to defer delivery to September to get a 72 plate. The only consideration is really the potential impact (if any) on future value, I am not bothered about having the latest plate for snobbery/vanity.

I am hoping that I will own the car for a few years and I think in these circumstances, there would perhaps be little difference. I always like to try and plan ahead and cover all possible outcomes, so if for some reason, I had to sell the car sooner than planned, I am trying to assess the impact of the registration date.

I would therefore be very grateful to hear the thoughts and opinions of others here.

For any of you outside the UK and unfamiliar with our registration system, there are two six-month batches of registrations issued which start in March and September. A numbering system is used that probably baffles the average motorist! For this year, March 2022, plates start with two letters (the registration district), followed by 22 then three letters to determine a unique registration. For September 2022 the plate will have the number 72. There are also private plates that have numbers on that do not relate to the registration date.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I’ve just had confirmation that my car will be August delivery and I am wondering whether to defer delivery to September to get a 72 plate. The only consideration is really the potential impact (if any) on future value, I am not bothered about having the latest plate for snobbery/vanity.

I am hoping that I will own the car for a few years and I think in these circumstances, there would perhaps be little difference. I always like to try and plan ahead and cover all possible outcomes, so if for some reason, I had to sell the car sooner than planned, I am trying to assess the impact of the registration date.

I would therefore be very grateful to hear the thoughts and opinions of others here.

For any of you outside the UK and unfamiliar with our registration system, there are two six-month batches of registrations issued which start in March and September. A numbering system is used that probably baffles the average motorist! For this year, March 2022, plates start with two letters (the registration district), followed by 22 then three letters to determine a unique registration. For September 2022 the plate will have the number 72. There are also private plates that have numbers on that do not relate to the registration date.
If i was you John I'd ask the Lotus dealer what they think on how it would affect resale value or a quality second hand supercar outfit. They'd give you an honest, informed answer, if its about effect on money.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
If i was you John I'd ask the Lotus dealer what they think on how it would affect resale value or a quality second hand supercar outfit. They'd give you an honest, informed answer, if its about effect on money.
I have sold 4 Uk cars over the last 2 years due to Brexit... thanks for nothing... and I can tell you there is certainly a price difference the day you sell your car, its common sense. For a 30k type car its about 500 pounds difference for trade in of a Jan o Sept reg, any decent dealer should be telling you this. For a 70/80k car and then depending how many years old it is, this 500 you can raise quite a bit.
And yes, things change when there is a high demand, of course, same as house prices, but the raise goes for everyone and there will still be a difference to each plate.
If I were you and the thought is clearly in your head, I would get the car, pay the money, have it made, but simply tell them to register it the first few days of sept.... You can ask customer service if this will be an option.
Naturally around Sept and Jan there are delays in registrations due to higher demand, but a few days here or there for 500-1500 recovery at the end... makes sense to me.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I have sold 4 Uk cars over the last 2 years due to Brexit... thanks for nothing... and I can tell you there is certainly a price difference the day you sell your car, its common sense. For a 30k type car its about 500 pounds difference for trade in of a Jan o Sept reg, any decent dealer should be telling you this. For a 70/80k car and then depending how many years old it is, this 500 you can raise quite a bit.
And yes, things change when there is a high demand, of course, same as house prices, but the raise goes for everyone and there will still be a difference to each plate.
If I were you and the thought is clearly in your head, I would get the car, pay the money, have it made, but simply tell them to register it the first few days of sept.... You can ask customer service if this will be an option.
Naturally around Sept and Jan there are delays in registrations due to higher demand, but a few days here or there for 500-1500 recovery at the end... makes sense to me.
I guess it all depends on how eager you are to receive the car and how early you are to receive the car. I'm July sometime, if its the end of July i might 5 weeks and register in September. if its £1500 difference between registration dates it may work out at £400 a week if its late July.

Only release dates will tell from Lotus.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on how eager you are to receive the car and how early you are to receive the car. I'm July sometime, if its the end of July i might 5 weeks and register in September. if its £1500 difference between registration dates it may work out at £400 a week if its late July.

Only release dates will tell from Lotus.
yes exactly.... price it up per week... if money no object or have a trip planned, then dont wait, but for a couple of weeks... more excitement.....

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

I was having the same dilemma until they moved us all forward a month now i'm September which i'm actually happy about, if I had the choice I would stick with my September delivery over August.

Only thing is i'm in Dubai until the 10th of September so will have to except it after that date.

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m with the majority on this, could amount to just a few weeks wait to get the ‘72 plate. There won’t be hundreds of emira for sale when you do sell but if I had to choose between 22 and 72 then I know which way I’d go

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
If private plate, then there’s no worries.

The novelty of a 72 plate for a few months would be fun before transferring private plate.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Up to now I think Lotus cars in the UK have sold on specification, condition and mileage as more important than registration index. But that was with very low volumes, like 500-1000 Evoras built per year globally.

Will the higher volumes mean used buyers are more concerned about 22 versus 72 plate? They're still going to be relatively rare and if you want a specific colour and spec then you may not be choosing from dozens of used ones on the market at any given time. At least for the next 2-3 years. Once it's 3 years old, I think it becomes much less relevant.