Is an early delivery potentially a curse?

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For many, I will be considered lucky. As I have posted on another thread, I placed my first payment on the evening that Goodwood closed and initially planned to buy the less costly i4, having originally had my eyes on a more practical M2 but had my head turned by the base model i4's price. Having seen the relatively small difference between the i4 FE and V6 FE pricing (and concerned about the timescales and cost of options, if I were to wait for a base edition), I changed to the V6 in May this year and was told a likely Q1/Q2 2023 delivery date. Fast forward to August and I've been told that my car will be built in November this year for a December delivery.

The Emira will not be my daily driver (my daily driver has two wheels and pedals....) and so delivery for the winter is not hugely attractive. However, playing on my mind (and reinforced by a comment today on the Emira thread of a certain large UK piston enthusiast website) is the QA for the cars delivered in 2022. This is a substantial purchase for me and the possibility of being somewhat of a guinea pig concerns me (and perhaps I'm a little jaded by a replacement kitchen over the past few months which has also produced a number of issues which I really didn't expect for the price...)

This is my first Lotus but I appreciate that this is a step up for Lotus and with that is the potential for teething pains (over and above the delays caused by a number of factors, many of which are outside Lotus's control). However, is my reticence justified?

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Nobody can say. Take some comfort in knowing you chose the engine that’s proven bulletproof, and an overall configuration and build process that Lotus has more or less been churning out since 2009. Then layer on the fact that there are new quality control measures in place, and I think you can let the anxiety melt and enjoy this joyous thing you’ve bought.

OP
P

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Nobody can say. Take some comfort in knowing you chose the engine that’s proven bulletproof, and an overall configuration and build process that Lotus has more or less been churning out since 2009. Then layer on the fact that there are new quality control measures in place, and I think you can let the anxiety melt and enjoy this joyous thing you’ve bought.
Yes, the reliability of the V6 over the i4 (in unfamiliar mid-engined territory) was one of the deciding factors for me. The factory tour also gave some comfort regarding panel alignment and the like.

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I understand exactly what you are saying and it I am sure your caution reflects the fact that you have no doubt worked and saved very hard to put yourself in a position to be able to buy the car. I know that is certainly the case for me.
In the worst case scenario, you have the protection of the three year warranty and Lotus Assist throughout the warranty period to help with any issues you may encounter. Having said that the drivetrain is very well tested and reliable and Lotus have cearly made a huge step up in quality and finish, with all of this mentioned by the motoring press reviews discussed at length on the reviews section.
Feedback on this forum from factory tours is very positive.
Although Lotus has dropped the ball with comms etc, as they struggle to roll out the direct to consumer model, they are very used to and good at making reliable cars.
I know that December delivery isn't ideal, but you can get some good dry days in December and a chance to enjoy the car to start getting it run in. All you need to do then is choose your days carefully in Jan/Feb and it is all systems go in March with spring around the corner.
Sorry to hear that you had problems with your kitchen installation and I can see why that has set you thinking in this way, I probably would have been the same! I have also wondered about the level of spend as we enter a cost of living crisis and inflation, but I have worked through those thoughts now and am very excited for delivery all being well in October/November.

Last edited:

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
One of the biggest issues to Lotus is the servicing of their vehicles. Not many people want to work on them, and sourcing parts / time in shop has always been an issue. I worry that these things haven't changed. It can either be a minor inconvenience if they sort out that issue, or can be a major problem that they have not addressed. One of them is the work required to change a clutch. Apparently in the Evora it requires a bit of work, and continues to be labour intensive in the Emira. Things like this could have been engineered better, especially when launching a new car. Time will tell.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
My guess is the first batch of customer cars out of the factory are going to be gone over extra carefully, to make sure everything is right. Every step is likely to be checked and double-checked because these are actual customer cars. I don't recall a single instance of any experience by any previewer, reviewer, or anybody else that's driven or seen one out in the wild, of any of them breaking down or having problems. And those were all pre-production cars that weren't final production spec or in many cases, not even complete.

I think these are going to be pretty darned good right from the get-go.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My guess is the first batch of customer cars out of the factory are going to be gone over extra carefully, to make sure everything is right. Every step is likely to be checked and double-checked because these are actual customer cars. I don't recall a single instance of any experience by any previewer, reviewer, or anybody else that's driven or seen one out in the wild, of any of them breaking down or having problems. And those were all pre-production cars that weren't final production spec or in many cases, not even complete.

Great observation, you are right in all the test reviews trim hasn’t fallen off or they’ve E our entered numerous rattles or squeaks and I’m sure they would have said if they had found them.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Great observation, you are right in all the test reviews trim hasn’t fallen off or they’ve E our entered numerous rattles or squeaks and I’m sure they would have said if they had found them.
If there were going to be mechanical issues, you would expect it to happen to pre-production cars. The only issues were adjustment issues; shift linkage, clutch too stiff, understeer, etc. All of those are simply adjustment issues which the latest reports indicate have been addressed. The car looks pretty darned solid. Nothing has broken or failed. No photos of an Emira on the side of the road with smoke coming out of the back. No photos of an Emira being put up on a tow truck, etc. Considering that the big name companies have had their early cars break down and have issues in the hands of reviewers, so far Lotus is looking pretty good in that regard with the Emira.

It seems to me, that the big focus with the Emira, wasn't to make the ultimate ICE sports car; it was to make the most complete ICE sports car Lotus has ever made, but with the new focus on style, design, complete interiors with modern conveniences, fit and finish, and overall quality. All those things, including the new production facility and processes, carry over for the new Lotus. The ICE era is over for them, and while the Emira is their last ICE sports car, it also showcases the new Lotus focus. I think it's going to be a hallmark car for them in many ways.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

and of course you do

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The huge price difference between V6 FE and I4 FE in Chinese market made me chose the later one. (30,000 British Pounds difference ) :cry: