oh FFS !! (v6 vs i4 debate in my head)

jasmin58

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
The eternal v6 vs i4 debate sparks heated discussions. Consider your priorities: power or efficiency? Both have merits, so find the sweet spot for your driving style and needs.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's this simple, you get asked by kids to rev your Emira ALL the time. Save yourself the embarrassment, buy a V6 😂
Not a huge fan of buying a $100K car for "kids" . Impressing generic kids is not that important to me. BTW MY KIDS are actually stoked about the new i4 so no complaints from the junior dept so far.

Now on a more serious note, the i4 is sound is really nothing to write home about, but over here in China the V6 Emira costs a whopping US$160K while the i4 is a measly $120K.

Last edited:

Hethel Merman

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of buying a $100K car for "kids" . Impressing generic kids is not that important to me. BTW MY KIDS are actually stoked about the new i4 so no complaints from the junior dept so far.

Now on a more serious note, the i4 is sound is really nothing to write home about, but over here in China the V6 Emira costs a whopping US$160K while the i4 is a measly $120K.
In China the V6 is the prestige option?

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In China the V6 is the prestige option?
I wouldn’t say that. It’s the option where you pay an additional 43KUSD (on top of the I4), where about 35K of that is the additional tax. The I4 is pretty good value in China, whereas the V6 is getting towards base 911 money. It just isn’t worth the additional cost for the better sound and a manual, not for me anyway. If i was spending 911 money, I’d probably just get the 911 as the small rear seats would be welcome.

The I4 doesn’t sound bad, in fact it sounds pretty good, but it’s a boosted turbo sound, with lots of whooshing and whistles. It sounds nice under boost, but doesn’t have the wail of the V6. Mine is still running in, but even at modest revs and part throttle it’s quick. No regrets from me, the I4 is great.

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
the main reason why I bought emira is because is manual and it has hydraulic steering. I was on the list for z06c8 but it’s auto so I cancel my order . For me it was never about how quick the car is . It’s all about emotions, fun . Choosing transmission for me was the easiest part of building this car . V6 manual or nothing .

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wouldn’t say that. It’s the option where you pay an additional 43KUSD (on top of the I4), where about 35K of that is the additional tax. The I4 is pretty good value in China, whereas the V6 is getting towards base 911 money. It just isn’t worth the additional cost for the better sound and a manual, not for me anyway. If i was spending 911 money, I’d probably just get the 911 as the small rear seats would be welcome.

The I4 doesn’t sound bad, in fact it sounds pretty good, but it’s a boosted turbo sound, with lots of whooshing and whistles. It sounds nice under boost, but doesn’t have the wail of the V6. Mine is still running in, but even at modest revs and part throttle it’s quick. No regrets from me, the I4 is great.
Well said. Another thing is i suspect many Chinese owners tend to live in big cities centers rather than the suburbs so emiras tend to see a bit more traffic when the i4 may be a bit more handy.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Get a V6 before they stop making them. Eventually there will be tons of i4s and the V6 will be more sort after.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well said. Another thing is i suspect many Chinese owners tend to live in big cities centers rather than the suburbs so emiras tend to see a bit more traffic when the i4 may be a bit more handy.
Yes, the typical Chinese Emira driver is likely in a big city, they also likely can’t drive a manual :ROFLMAO: Even the few Lotus Elise and Evora that ever reached China are almost entirely Auto.

Are you a fellow Laowai Emira owner in China? I’m based in Changzhou, where are you based?

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes, the typical Chinese Emira driver is likely in a big city, they also likely can’t drive a manual :ROFLMAO: Even the few Lotus Elise and Evora that ever reached China are almost entirely Auto.

Are you a fellow Laowai Emira owner in China? I’m based in Changzhou, where are you based?

Hey man I'm based in HK and Shenzhen. Im Chinese and went to college and law school in the States. i actually drove by Changzhou during CNY holidays when it was cold and rainy/snowy.

Changzhou is a bit far from me but if you are ever in the Pearl Delta give me a holler.