Nimbus Emira modification journal

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Checked in today…back from powdercoat…

1D7F0105-924F-472D-9775-7838173CA30C.jpeg

Looks very nice! Sometimes it is worth taking the extra time instead of being impatient and rushing. Next week seats and belts will go in and first test drives are on the schedule. Once my technician will sign it off, I plan to do a 1000km trip to run in the car and get the first service done and final checks, before the car goes to its final destination.

I will keep you posted.

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Another box ticked. PPF needs to dry a long time, so that all fluids have evaporated from underneath the film. Today the ceramic glass coating has been applied. Car is out in the sun to dry/harden the coating. Paint was fully polished before coating. The paints on the Emira from Lotus are not what they should be, way too soft and the paint easily scratches, hence my desire to polish and protect it with a ceramic glass coating. Including the black roof.

Car in the sun looks stunning. The coating definitely adds depth to the overall paint and presence. First time I saw the car outside. So in love with it! Looks like a 300k euro car now ;-)

Harness bar and seats will go in this afternoon / tomorrow morning. Will it be finished and can I drive first kms this weekend....

IMG_4501.jpeg
IMG_4498.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Patience...patience...patience...

Today the custom made bar went in for the Schroth harnesses. Accordingly we also planned to keep the original belts in case we want to hop in quickly to get groceries around the corner ;-). However this also requires to make new fixing points on the Recaro seat brackets, as the original points are on the original seats. So it needs some further figuring out.

VDK also manufactured aluminium bushings to play around with seat height and angle.

Finally...we weighted the original seats and they come in at 25kg. Less than I expected, as the feel like 40kgs, but hey we are saving 2, so all in all it will be a massive weight saving on seats!

IMG_4542.jpeg
IMG_4544.jpeg
IMG_4543.jpeg
3aabd633-9610-4d9d-98a4-e517eb2f6eac.jpeg
IMG_4546.jpeg

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Patience...patience...patience...

Today the custom made bar went in for the Schroth harnesses. Accordingly we also planned to keep the original belts in case we want to hop in quickly to get groceries around the corner ;-). However this also requires to make new fixing points on the Recaro seat brackets, as the original points are on the original seats. So it needs some further figuring out.

VDK also manufactured aluminium bushings to play around with seat height and angle.

Finally...we weighted the original seats and they come in at 25kg. Less than I expected, as the feel like 40kgs, but hey we are saving 2, so all in all it will be a massive weight saving on seats!

View attachment 27905View attachment 27906View attachment 27907View attachment 27908View attachment 27909
Wow. For a 12-way electric seat, that's less than I would have guessed. I was thinking somewhere between 65-75 lbs each, not 55 lbs.

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Indeed...when I picked them up I assumed at least 35kgs. Still at 25kgs they ARE very heavy. Don't think the standard seats are great either...to small for tall people (I am 1.90m) and they don't offer a lot of 'experience' in terms of how they hold you.

I was driving my GT3 to the Historic GP at Zandvoort race track today, and the bucket seats add a lot to the overall feel and experience of that car. I want more of that in the Emira!

IMG_4602.jpeg
IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Indeed...when I picked them up I assumed at least 35kgs. Still at 25kgs they ARE very heavy. Don't think the standard seats are great either...to small for tall people (I am 1.90m) and they don't offer a lot of 'experience' in terms of how they hold you.

I was driving my GT3 to the Historic GP at Zandvoort race track today, and the bucket seats add a lot to the overall feel and experience of that car. I want more of that in the Emira!

View attachment 27942View attachment 27940
View attachment 27945
Nice. Judging from my friend's GT3, the buckets add a lot of discomfort to the daily experience. Getting in and out should not be a hassle unless you hit the track frequently.

I'm considering a T and if I pull the trigger, I will surely go with the regular "Sofas".

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Nice. Judging from my friend's GT3, the buckets add a lot of discomfort to the daily experience. Getting in and out should not be a hassle unless you hit the track frequently.

I'm considering a T and if I pull the trigger, I will surely go with the regular "Sofas".

I absolutely love the comfort of the bucket seats in the 911! On the practical side...yes to daily them to get in and out will be a bit of a hassle...but so is a 911...a VW Golf serves the daily purpose so much better!

Oh...the 911 comfort seats are sooooo much better than the Emira's. I would never change in case the Emira would have 'Porsche seats'.

I have a sofa at home to watch TV ;-)

duff

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I also find the fixed 918s buckets really comfortable. I have spent 9+ hours in them on one occasion with no discomfort at all. They are not the easiest to get in and out of, but you soon find the knack.
I appreciate everyone is different and seats can be a very personal choice, but I would highly recommend trying to get an extended test drive in a car with them in before discounting them should the T be the way you are leaning. The connection they give to the car is several levels above the standard seats and the only downside on a 911 is that you loose the rear seats.

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It's running and out this evening for its first testdrive. Provided all is fine and no fault codes show up, we will plan delivery for Saturday!

With the wheels off we took some photos of the Nitrons.

Front...actually almost at the lowest position possible:

IMG_0176.jpeg

Rear:

IMG_4786.jpeg

Interior finished, with the seats and harnesses in...looks MEGA! So happy with the outcome. Yesterday we also tinted the side windows in a darker shade. Although I think we could have gone darker.

IMG_4794.jpeg

Tomorrow VDK have planned a photoshoot...so keep an eye on their social media on FB and instagram:

https://www.facebook.com/VanDerKooiSportscars

https://www.instagram.com/vdk_sportscars/

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Tomorrow - 10:30 CET - delivery time :)

It's been a lot of work! Lots of custom fabrication.

Van der Kooi Sportscars - VDK - https://vanderkooisportscars.nl can now officially supply:
- CNC watercut seatframes for the Recaro Podium seats
- Harness bar for Emira.
- Bushings for seat fitment and to maintain original belts as well.

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4731.jpeg
IMG_4738.jpeg

Side windows were tinted in a darker still legal shade...

IMG_4734.jpeg

Testdrive yesterday and this morning was successful, no fault codes, and apparently totally different Emira, with massive turn in!

Photoshoot was done today, as sun was out.

Car looks mega!

IMG_4837.jpeg

IMG_4841.jpeg

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
very cool! I have to say - I remember feeling weird when I first took the doors off my brand new Jeep Wangler. I can’t even imagine tearing into a brand spanking new Emira the way you have. You’ve got more guts than me. 🙂

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
very cool! I have to say - I remember feeling weird when I first took the doors off my brand new Jeep Wangler. I can’t even imagine tearing into a brand spanking new Emira the way you have. You’ve got more guts than me. 🙂

On a Lotus, everything you unbolt and take off, and accordingly bolt back together...makes the car better ;-)

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Got the keys, car's been paid. It's on the trailer...heading for the Pyrenees tomorrow.

Took the car for a very short spin before putting it onto the trailer. THIS is how the Emira should be...instant gratification, so sharp! Supercar territory!

IMG_4862.jpeg
IMG_4866.jpeg
IMG_4871.jpeg
IMG_4879.jpeg
IMG_4878.jpeg
IMG_4883.jpeg
IMG_4888.jpeg

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Got the keys, car's been paid. It's on the trailer...heading for the Pyrenees tomorrow.

Took the car for a very short spin before putting it onto the trailer. THIS is how the Emira should be...instant gratification, so sharp! Supercar territory!

View attachment 28257View attachment 28258View attachment 28259View attachment 28260View attachment 28261View attachment 28262View attachment 28263

Looks awesome! Seat position feel good? Much different from the stock seats height wise?

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Seats look great! A bit challenging to get in and out for daily but I'm sure they add to the experience. Congratulations!

Callabrator

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Looks incredible. Great work!

Any reason you didn't go with 6 point belts seeing as though you had to fab the bottom bracket anyway?

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Looks incredible. Great work!

Any reason you didn't go with 6 point belts seeing as though you had to fab the bottom bracket anyway?
As I intend to use the car mostly, as in 99% on the street…I felt no need for the 6p belts. I have them in some of my other cars and find them less comfortable vs the 4p belts.

Also you may have seen that we use the Schroth belts with the different buckle than what may have expected…for 2 reasons:
1. Schroth was very hard to get hold off, these were actually the only ones we could get our hands on in time.
2. The other type buckle which you need to twitch on the 6p belts are metal and will damage the carbon seats much easier
3. These are the recommended streetlegal belts from Schroth:
https://www.schroth.com/en/racing/street-legal/details/show/profi-ii-fe-asm-2/

I plan to add some shoulder pads for comfort…and if they don’t work can always upgrade to 6p.

Time will tell.

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Delivery on Saturday, transport on Sunday, import on Monday…

Leaving at 6am…
16053468-9B51-4131-B598-AF1CF66D4A39.jpeg

En route in France…
829D2E8C-908B-499F-AAE5-F3FFD7529E52.jpeg
0F139AA8-97A2-4418-957F-0031893A508B.jpeg

Arriving at the hotel Sunday evening after a 16 hour drive….
86E78CBB-CE52-4DA2-A1FA-83EC8DDABEF7.jpeg

Crossed the border and offloaded in its new home country…

BEDB1286-9248-4D24-AF0E-387707776C3C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It has been quite a project and effort, but so happy the Emira has arrived at its new destination and new home… all paperwork and imports done. Friday I expect to receive the plates. I love the journey and love affair with the Emira so far…its looks mega and got so many positive responses along the way.

B69A158C-160E-45A0-9269-708C5F81B24A.jpeg

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It has been quite a project and effort, but so happy the Emira has arrived at its new destination and new home… all paperwork and imports done. Friday I expect to receive the plates. I love the journey and love affair with the Emira so far…its looks mega and got so many positive responses along the way.

View attachment 28404
Looks so mean :chefs-kiss: ... meanwhile, I'm wishing my garage was that tidy.