Nimbus Emira modification journal

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My Emira has arrived 2 weeks ago at the dealer....

Seats are out...Recaro Podium waiting for installation, but require a custom water cut frame...in the making!

Nitron 3 Way has arrived...will be installed in combination with the Jubu forged wheels...unfortunately still waiting for the wheels, as first set was not passing Jubu's quality control...

Harness bar for the 4point Schroth harnesses will be custom made...pipe bent, now figuring out position and how to mount to original belt points as well as to find a third point to fix to the chassis.

PPF on front bumper has been installed, but needs additional work. It seems Xpell doesn't really have good patterns yet.

To be continued....

IMG_3066.jpeg

IMG_3207.jpeg
IMG_2901.jpeg
IMG_2471.jpeg
IMG_0858.jpeg

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
If you or the people at the shop don't mind, can you weigh the factory seat? How much weight are you saving compared to the new seat you're installing?

I was about to ask the same thing! @hagen111 might be the first owner with aftermarket seats. Can't wait to see them installed!

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If you or the people at the shop don't mind, can you weigh the factory seat? How much weight are you saving compared to the new seat you're installing?
We didn’t have a scale at hand to weigh them. But just to get the seats out of the car…you can’t believe how heavy they are!!! I estimate between 30-35 kgs, so for 2 seats I am looking at something like 50kgs in weight savings I expect.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
We didn’t have a scale at hand to weigh them. But just to get the seats out of the car…you can’t believe how heavy they are!!! I estimate between 30-35 kgs, so for 2 seats I am looking at something like 50kgs in weight savings I expect.
Wow, that's a lot! I wonder how much lighter the 4-way cloth seats are? It would be worth it, just to take one for the team, to buy a cheapo scale and weigh the seat, just to have the accurate numbers for those wanting to do weight reduction for their cars.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The base seats are still electrically adjustable like the FE ones, so will have motors in the base. Possibly fewer motors but that's one important factor in the weight, along with the frame itself.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I figured these seats would be heavy. Any power adjustable seat vs a carbon or light weight bucket would be a massive difference. I'm sure the lotus lightweight bucket seat will be coming in the R and S variants.

Based on Porsche 18 way (heated and Vented) vs Carbon Buckets is about 80 lbs in weight savings. The 4 way seat vs Carbon Bucket saves 32 Lbs (heated but not Vented). So in Porsche land the 4 way power seat is 48 Lbs lighter (combined) than 18 ways. Crucially the 4 way seat also sits a bit lower than the 18 way seat. I have tried both numerous times and always go with the 4 way. Also for some reason it feels more padded/support. I suppose less motors and other stuff in the seat makes more room for cushion? I dunno, just my experience. Hoping the Emira 4-way power seat is similar in both weight difference and a tiny bit more head room.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The base seats are still electrically adjustable like the FE ones, so will have motors in the base. Possibly fewer motors but that's one important factor in the weight, along with the frame itself.
I'm wondering if the frame is going to be the same, just 4 motors instead of 12. Even without the motors though, according to this photo the frames look to be pretty hefty.

1648577897138.png

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
looking forward to seeing this finished!! Are you going to up the engine output?
Plan is to get used to the car with stock power unit as is. My Exige 'only' listed 350hp, so 400hp (although the Emira is heavier) will do for now. I am really looking for a sharp car with the right seating position and handling & balance first.

We already discussed and it was confirmed we should be able to get to 470hp without major modifications. First this summer the will be 'tested' in the Pyrenees...

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Plan is to get used to the car with stock power unit as is. My Exige 'only' listed 350hp, so 400hp (although the Emira is heavier) will do for now. I am really looking for a sharp car with the right seating position and handling & balance first.

We already discussed and it was confirmed we should be able to get to 470hp without major modifications. First this summer the will be 'tested' in the Pyrenees...
fair enough. I take it you will track the car regularly? How many track days a year do you get in?

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
fair enough. I take it you will track the car regularly? How many track days a year do you get in?

Not really. Will track it once or twice a year, not more, just like my Exige. I have a circuit based Caterham 485 CSR for trackdays.

I want a car closer to a Porsche GT3 Manual at half price, vs a comfy Golf-like cruiser. And all the mods are done to build my preferred streetcar and not track car. The Nitrons for example are brilliant on the road and provide a lot of comfort.

IMG_0243.jpeg
IMG_1860.jpeg

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What's the main advantage of those wheels? I don't see visually all that much difference from the black stock ones. Or did you go for a different size / offset?

OP
H

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What's the main advantage of those wheels? I don't see visually all that much difference from the black stock ones. Or did you go for a different size / offset?
The original wheels are actually ok and very good looking, but these wheels are next level in terms of finish and detail. Forged and machined, really really beautiful. It depends what you value in life…food is food, a watch is a watch…a fiat panda does the same as a Porsche 911…

Beauty and sense are in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion stance and the wheel make a car! Also love the process of working on my cars and making them better (in my eyes)

And my guesstimate are they are much lighter vs original. I have carbon wheels on some of my vehicles and weight of the wheels have a MASSIVE impact on how a car or bike feels…as well as it helps change direction faster.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The original wheels are actually ok and very good looking, but these wheels are next level in terms of finish and detail. Forged and machined, really really beautiful. It depends what you value in life…food is food, a watch is a watch…a fiat panda does the same as a Porsche 911…

Beauty and sense are in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion stance and the wheel make a car! Also love the process of working on my cars and making them better (in my eyes)

And my guesstimate are they are much lighter vs original. I have carbon wheels on some of my vehicles and weight of the wheels have a MASSIVE impact on how a car or bike feels…as well as it helps change direction faster.
I think the new rim design is much nicer than the stock design. I like all the mods you are making and desire the same car you are building. Nice work! Which rim did you choose from Jubu? If I remember correctly they had two different specs for the Emira. One option stock dimensions and the other had more offset or was wider. Could be wrong but I thought there was two options.