New video "WARNING: The Lotus Emira Market Just Flipped — This Could Cost You"

I don't understand these paint costs. Is it really that much? I think Thorney will paint a bubbled McLaren for £1k per panel.
I was told by a dealer the cost of replacing the doors is about £5.5k. That is trade prices, so with VAT you are looking at around £6.6K for retail. If you also needed to have the rear 3/4 panels and tailgate done it could easily be well over £10k. And, worst of all, there is no guarantee it won't happen again. Several people are now on their 3rd set of doors. No idea how this will shake out in the used market. It is still a hugely desirable car, relatively rare, and great value at 50 to £60k. But, make no mistake, it is going to be a very painful issue for some owners out of warranty.
 
Wouldn’t extending the warranty be cheaper than taking a depreciation hit just to avoid a possible paint problem?
There is no warranty that covers paintwork or even bodywork. At least the 3 extended warranties I have seen don't cover this.
 
I don't understand these paint costs. Is it really that much? I think Thorney will paint a bubbled McLaren for £1k per panel.
The cost is because for the bubbling issue the panels need replacing too - it's not a problem with the paint. Cost I have heard is minimum 4K for a door, to over 10K for both quarter panels. I can double check this when I have mine done again.
 
My Emira has gone up in value 50K to 54 K in 6 months, like anything in life buy low and youll be fine on the second hand market, allot of cars are at the 3 year drop
 
Im not worried about depreciation yet. Only had the car 2 weeks.
 
Last edited:
I was told by a dealer the cost of replacing the doors is about £5.5k. That is trade prices, so with VAT you are looking at around £6.6K for retail. If you also needed to have the rear 3/4 panels and tailgate done it could easily be well over £10k. And, worst of all, there is no guarantee it won't happen again. Several people are now on their 3rd set of doors. No idea how this will shake out in the used market. It is still a hugely desirable car, relatively rare, and great value at 50 to £60k. But, make no mistake, it is going to be a very painful issue for some owners out of warranty.

I believe all contributors to this subject are to be thanked and commended. Even though, with a late 2024 model, I have not noticed the paint bubble problem (here in Australia) I am watching like a hawk and nervous as a mouse.
Geoffbland, you appear to have a very good ‘handle’ on the situation you yourself and many others are facing. I agree with your comment that Teijin particularly are a huge company and like Lotus will by now have worked out wherein lays the problem.
So what have Lotus done to alleviate the problem? Continued to supply the same faulty parts to replace the previous faulty parts. If only they would come clean and, even if there is a reasonable time constraint, supply fault free replacements. Coming clean with us, (supporters of the Lotus brand) is not an admission of guilt per se. Admission was acknowledged when the first of hundreds of replacement panels were provided to try and satisfy claims..
What else have Geely/Lotus done to advance a workable solution? They have attempted to enforce an NDA upon claimants. Add to that, attempted to reduce warranty periods on items directly affected by poor manufacturing practices.
Which brings to the fore a very insightful comment made also by Geoff, to the effect that trying to dishonour warranty’s on existing and replacement parts will be ineffectual. After all supplying replacement, parts, faulty or not, is the trigger for admission.
None of the aforementioned undertakings by Geely/Lotus/Teijin bodes well for them when, down the track someone starts a class action. How fortunate Teijin have deep pockets.
Please listen and work with us Geely/Lotus. Just come clean and give us the incentive to support you in what will become a long lasting congenial relationship.
 
I just noticed recently the the Private Party value of my ‘24 V6A w/ 3k miles (yes, I need to drive it more) dropped about 10k in the last month to about 87k, according to CarFax.
 
I just noticed recently the the Private Party value of my ‘24 V6A w/ 3k miles (yes, I need to drive it more) dropped about 10k in the last month to about 87k, according to CarFax.
Unfortunately the i4 and v6 autos have been going through auctions and not bringing a lot of money. So that’s negatively impacting their values.
 
Unfortunately the i4 and v6 autos have been going through auctions and not bringing a lot of money. So that’s negatively impacting their values.
That’s ok, I plan on keeping it as long as I can drive!
 
That’s ok, I plan on keeping it as long as I can drive!
I am in the market for a v6 auto myself and I don’t care on the value for the same reason. I plan to keep the car at least 7-10 years.
 
I’m enjoying the v6 auto much more than I expected. You can drive it and relax in auto and switch to the paddles anytime you want more control.
 
Here in the UK there are currently only 4 V6, manual Emira with less than 5k miles, cheapest around £62500, on Auto trader. When I picked mine up in April 2024 there were 87.
I think the prices for used will creep up given new mine would now cost £120k with a bit of change. Owners are now keeping them so to get into a used one will cost more purely due to the lack of supply.
 
Price have for sure been going up on used models here in the US. I think it is a mix of
1. Spring market
2. 2025 we only had 700 new Emira delivered so the market of lightly owned used didn’t get replenished this year
3. 2026 MSRPs are up quite a bit with no real changes to the car
 
Here in the UK there are currently only 4 V6, manual Emira with less than 5k miles, cheapest around £62500, on Auto trader. When I picked mine up in April 2024 there were 87.
I think the prices for used will creep up given new mine would now cost £120k with a bit of change. Owners are now keeping them so to get into a used one will cost more purely due to the lack of supply.
How do you know there’s only 4?
Well I count 7 as of now (I was looking recently :( ). One now for sale privately for £60K but other than the they range from £62K to £72K, so close to 10K more on average compared to this time last year. This time last year there were the 100 odd rejected/returned cars Lotus dumped on Auto100.
 
Last edited:
Well I count 7 as of now (I was looking recently :( ). One now for sale privately for £60K but other than the they range from £62K to £72K, so close to 10K on average compared to this time last year. This time last year there were the 100 odd rejected/returned cars Lotus dumped on Auto100.
My fault. I hadn’t read it properly. I’d missed the Autotrader bit - thought it meant 4 in total. 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️
 
Just an update from the UK. There's even fewer Emiras for sale on AutoTrader recently - maybe it's due to summer time rolling in. The number of Emiras on AutoTrader has been inflated by dealerships listing loads of new cars. But it you look at second hand ones there's now only around 30 cars available second hand. Just 14 V6s and 16 i4s.
Prices are up now too with the cheapest at £57K and the cheapest dealership ones under 5K at £62K - in fact the mileage seems to make very little difference to the asking price.
It also seems second-hand ones are mostly touring suspension, there's very few with sports suspension (many don't mention it though).
Senaca Blue and Verdant Green account for 20 of the cars.
 
Last edited:
So purchased my car for 56k it’s now worth 55k if I sold, so the char has increased in value in 6 months ownership
 
I filter by mileage, gearbox, engine and there are 6 matching mine, though only 1 is Sports suspension. May 2024 there were 87 ish for sale.

I'm hoping that by the time they've replaced my door, again, and both rear quarter panels it's in the summer sales time frame. Prices have drifted up from last year, especially for lower mileage.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top