New video "WARNING: The Lotus Emira Market Just Flipped — This Could Cost You"

I hate to say this, but the car is dramatically underpowered, and it’s too cheap.

525hp, $150k, I think they’d sell more.

It’s expensive enough to be out of reach for Miata types, but not expensive enough to be a “flex”
That's bonkers. You wish it was more expensive so it was a bigger flex to own one.

Is this for real how people think?
 
If you buy an Emira and expect it to appreciate in value.....
The only cars that ever really appreciate in value are odd ball Ferraris, and other random hard to get exotics.
Aston Martins
Lotuses
Lamborghinis
etc
all take pretty substantial hits in value.
Considering 2026 Emiras are listed at nearly $130k now, I think that they will "stabilize" in price at about $75-80k for the v6.
4 cylinder ones are taking huge declines, probably see those under $60k in 2 years.
 
That's bonkers. You wish it was more expensive so it was a bigger flex to own one.

Is this for real how people think?
This isn’t my position.

I’m saying it diagnostically. Yes, it is how most supercar and exotic buyers think.

If it was my position, I’d buy a more expensive car, like my last 3 cars.

🤷🏻‍♂️
 
He’s really going to hate it when he realizes there are tons of Miata types on here.
I don’t hate it at all. I know how many Miata types there are. I have no contempt for Miata types!!

But there would be more Miata types here if it were cheaper.

My point is there’s a no man’s land pricewise, and the emira is right in the heart of it.

You guys get very emotional about these things!
 
If you buy an Emira and expect it to appreciate in value.....
The only cars that ever really appreciate in value are odd ball Ferraris, and other random hard to get exotics.
Aston Martins
Lotuses
Lamborghinis
etc
all take pretty substantial hits in value.
Considering 2026 Emiras are listed at nearly $130k now, I think that they will "stabilize" in price at about $75-80k for the v6.
4 cylinder ones are taking huge declines, probably see those under $60k in 2 years.
Historically, lotus residuals have outperformed both aston and (less so) lambo. It’s pretty damn impressive.

All things considered, depreciation is not one of lotus owners (many) concerns 😂
 
Historically, lotus residuals have outperformed both aston and (less so) lambo. It’s pretty damn impressive.

All things considered, depreciation is not one of lotus owners (many) concerns 😂
You have to consider most older Lotus vehicles are much *rarer*. There are only 6000 Evoras in existence.
Lotus Made nearly as many Emiras just in 2024. The Emira will be the most common Lotus ever.

That's not a "bad thing"... these are drivers cars. Buy them. Drive them. Have fun. Expect to lose some resale value.

I don't even want to think about how bad the resale is on my Land Rover. 😨
 
My point is there’s a no man’s land pricewise, and the emira is right in the heart of it.
Porsche appears to sell a lot of cars in this price range. They are about the same power and size as well...
 
They made about 35,000 Elises.
ah sorry I don't really count those (but you are right), Elise/Exige those are practically a track car only.. Evora/Emira have daily practicality.
So I think comparison to Evora is more useful to think about future value.
 
ah sorry I don't really count those, Elise/Exige those are practically a track car only.. Evora/Emira have daily practicality.
So I think comparison to Evora is more useful to think about future value.
I'm sure the vast majority of them are street driven.
 
Porsche appears to sell a lot of cars in this price range. They are about the same power and size as well...
This is fair. Porsche and not much else.
 
This isn’t my position.

I’m saying it diagnostically. Yes, it is how most supercar and exotic buyers think.

If it was my position, I’d buy a more expensive car, like my last 3 cars.

🤷🏻‍♂️
I get what you’re saying. Like it or not, many people - probably not members of this forum - buy sports cars to flex. And as a flex object, the Lotus isn’t it, which makes the current pricing questionable. And I also hear you saying this as you are someone who purchased an Emira for the driving experience. Just reality that most make these types of purchases for show.

And thankful that most members here purchased their Emira because we share the same passion for driving.
 
I get what you’re saying. Like it or not, many people - probably not members of this forum - buy sports cars to flex. And as a flex object, the Lotus isn’t it, which makes the current pricing questionable. And I also hear you saying this as you are someone who purchased an Emira for the driving experience. Just reality that most make these types of purchases for show.

And thankful that most members here purchased their Emira because we share the same passion for driving.

🙏
 
I've seen this guy's videos before and the market analysis is good. But I think the analysis conclusions for the Emira may not be accurate for a couple reasons:
  • Most yearly depreciation values the video uses, and the "flipping" mentioned, are based on starting values higher than the initial Emira V6 MSRP because of pent-up demand pricing (before the price increases). For example, the US depreciation of 8.6% is based on an initial Emira sell value of $101,300 depreciating to $92,600. The UK values for 14.9% depreciation go from 85k to 74k GBP, when the initial First Edition MSRP was 76k GBP. So the percentage depreciation will be lower if your personal starting point is the First Edition MSRP.
  • The Cayman GTS 4.0 appreciation of 1.3% used for comparison is for going used to used, (e.g. you buy one used 1 year ago then sell it used today for 1 yr depreciation), when Emira customers a year ago were likely going new to used.
Based on the information he provided, I think US V6 cars will likely still depreciate more, but not relevant to the 8.6% he mentioned. Looking at the UK market, depreciation goes the First Edition initial MSRP (76k GBP) down to 65k GBP before leveling off to 1.4% depreciation. I think the US market will behave in the same way.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SJM
What Tesla has 525hp and costs $150k?

Model 3 Performance has that power level, same for Model Y Performance. Neither are $150k. Even a 1021hp MS Plaid is not $150k new.

that said, I wouldn't buy a Tesla new, I didn't. I bought my 2021 MS Plaid in 2023 with 40k on the clock for $60k. And about a year after that, they were 50k'ish. 1021hp AWD 9 Second Saturn V rocket for sub $60k is ALOT of straight line speed for the money.

It also happens to be a great daily driver. It accelerates like a Saturn V, but also turns and stops like one (aka, not at all). But it is supremely comfy, easy to drive, and actually extremely cheap to own. Plug it in, thats about it. I've spent $112 in electric over the past 12 months and driven about 8000 miles. I work from home, so don't drive much anymore, but I am 70 miles from family, so every trip to see family is about 140 miles.

I know for a fact I've already spent more than that in gas on the Emira as I track it in Fuelly. I've driven the Emira 4323 miles, at an average of 21.3mpg, and spent $827.43 in gas.

Now, granted, I tend to drive the Emira quit 'spiritedly', so I'm not getting the best fuel economy, but it wouldn't come down by much.

I can tell you that every one of the 4323 miles I've driven the Emira has more smiles than the Plaid. Though the plaid does have the ability to induce sheer terror when the foot goes to the floor. People scream, some people even cry when it's over. Definitely amusing on my end.
Every time I fill up, I look at the receipt with a smile and chalk it up to “personal fulfillment and entertainment expense”.
 
Classic.com is a great web site
1769736028645.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top