Narrow Single Garage parking aids/sensors or recommendations

Hi All,

Hoping any people with a narrow single garage can help.

I have a very narrow entry to my garage (2130mm), so it will just fit with 5cm each side with Emira mirrors in!!

It opens up to 2900 mm once in, so hopefully enough room to allow the driver out if I drive in at a slight angle.

Regardless, it’s going to be very tight. Depth is not an issue, it’s the entry width I’m concerned about.

Wondered if anyone has come across any good driver aids/lasers etc to help? Other than perhaps putting some very thin foam or carpet on the garage entrance walls which is more damage limitation than preventative.

I’ve been researching but there don’t seem to be many. I’ve found one laser which sticks to the side of your garage and beeps but it’s only accurate to a min of 4 inches, I only have 5cm, so not going to work.

Finally, do you find it easier to reverse in or drive in?

Big thanks,

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi All,

I have a very narrow entry to my garage (2130mm), so it will just fit with 5cm each side with Emira mirrors in!!

It opens up to 2900 mm once in, so hopefully enough room to allow the driver out if I drive in at a slight angle.

Regardless, it’s going to be very tight. Depth is not an issue, it’s the entry width I’m concerned about.

Wondered if anyone has come across any good driver aids/lasers etc to help? Other than perhaps putting some very thin foam or carpet on the garage entrance walls which is more damage limitation than preventative.

I’ve been researching but there don’t seem to be many. I’ve found one laser which sticks to the side of your garage and beeps but it’s only accurate to a min of 4 inches, I only have 5cm, so not going to work.

Big thanks,
I find driving in (exige fixed wing mirror) to clear driver side by a few mm then slightly diagonal. Test drove my Astra gtc with similar dimensions and it fits (just). Once inside access is easy

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi All,

Big thanks,
Definitely reverse in. The mirrors when folded are about the same width as the rear haunches. I have a double garage but with two doors so more room once inside. I reverse halfway in with a couple of inches each side to clear, stop and fold the mirrors, then reverse in the rest of the way using the rear camera, at which point you're blind to what's either side, so I'd avoid going in at an angle. The front and rear sensors are sounding all of the time but you can ignore them if you're straight. I reckon foam on the wall for when you open the door would be best. My door opens into the wider garage so not an issue.

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Definitely reverse in. The mirrors when folded are about the same width as the rear haunches. I have a double garage but with two doors so more room once inside. I reverse halfway in with a couple of inches each side to clear, stop and fold the mirrors, then reverse in the rest of the way using the rear camera, at which point you're blind to what's either side, so I'd avoid going in at an angle. I reckon foam on the wall for when you open the door would be best.
Blimey this is going to be section on its own - how I scratched my emira on day one

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wow, that is tight. Getting the angle to get out may be difficult as you will need to be as staight as possible. I am sure that you will have looked into this, but is there no chance of getting the opening wider. If it is a brick front, could you lose some bricks and replace with a thinner steel post? Anthing you can gain would make a big difference.
How about a couple of CCTV cameras inside the garage trained on the entrance way. Most CCTV systems can easily be viewed on a phone app, so you could use that to help see better, particuarly if the mirrors are folded in.
Something sacrificial like poystyrene sheet fixed to the entrance would protect the car because you would hear it as soon as you touched it before there was any damage to the car.
Nuclear option - move house!

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Definitely reverse in. The mirrors when folded are about the same width as the rear haunches. I have a double garage but with two doors so more room once inside. I reverse halfway in with a couple of inches each side to clear, stop and fold the mirrors, then reverse in the rest of the way using the rear camera, at which point you're blind to what's either side, so I'd avoid going in at an angle. The front and rear sensors are sounding all of the time but you can ignore them if you're straight. I reckon foam on the wall for when you open the door would be best. My door opens into the wider garage so not an issue.
Thanks. Yes, think reversing half way with mirrors down is a good idea.

I did see a hack which sounded simple and useful.

Put tram lines (coloured duck tape) on both sides in line with the gaps, which lead out your garage about a meter. Then reverse in inline with those tram lines.

Seems simple but may be effective.

My issues with going straight is I may not get out!!!

Squeaky bum time doing this for the first time with my brand new Emira!!!

CheshireCat

Reaction score
Oh dear. My entrance is 2050mm, so a new door with some concrete block removal is looking necessary. I'll cross that bridge when I get the car.

March build and April delivery was my information 2 weeks ago.

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Wow, that is tight. Getting the angle to get out may be difficult as you will need to be as staight as possible. I am sure that you will have looked into this, but is there no chance of getting the opening wider. If it is a brick front, could you lose some bricks and replace with a thinner steel post? Anthing you can gain would make a big difference.
How about a couple of CCTV cameras inside the garage trained on the entrance way. Most CCTV systems can easily be viewed on a phone app, so you could use that to help see better, particuarly if the mirrors are folded in.
Something sacrificial like poystyrene sheet fixed to the entrance would protect the car because you would hear it as soon as you touched it before there was any damage to the car.
Nuclear option - move house!
No, unfortunately nothing we can do to increase the width. It’s brick but the neighbours garage is the other side :(

I don’t actually know if it’s going to be possible yet. Getting in is physically possible as I have 11cm but once in, I then have 2900 once inside.

The Emira is 1895 mirrors up.

That leave 1005mm once in, or 500mm each side if I drive in straight. Is that going to be enough to open the door and get out 🫣

CCTV not a bad idea, will look into that. I was thinking more lasers.

Final option is to push it in which I used to do with my Caterham, but don’t know if that’s going to work either!!

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks. Yes, think reversing half way with mirrors down is a good idea.

I did see a hack which sounded simple and useful.

Put tram lines (coloured duck tape) on both sides in line with the gaps, which lead out your garage about a meter. Then reverse in inline with those tram lines.

Seems simple but may be effective.

My issues with going straight is I may not get out!!!

Squeaky bum time doing this for the first time with my brand new Emira!!!
Luckily the interior is by far the best Lotus has ever managed so if you can't get out and have to take up residence overnight it won't be the end of the world 🤣

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Luckily the interior is by far the best Lotus has ever managed so if you can't get out and have to take up residence overnight it won't be the end of the world 🤣
😂😂😂

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oh dear. My entrance is 2050mm, so a new door with some concrete block removal is looking necessary. I'll cross that bridge when I get the car.

March build and April delivery was my information 2 weeks ago.
Gona be v tight. Will fit in, Just.

Had my enhance protect email on Friday. What deposit date were you?

I was last day goodwood, 11th July around 9am.

March build, April delivery.

Hoping for early April, very optimistic I know.

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I find driving in (exige fixed wing mirror) to clear driver side by a few mm then slightly diagonal. Test drove my Astra gtc with similar dimensions and it fits (just). Once inside access is easy
Test run with similar car a good idea too 👍🏻

Ian C

Reaction score
Looks like its going to be a widespread issue, I have bought padded protection for the side walls and expecting to have to exit via the windows ! or maybe just push it in .
Like the idea of staying put , I already have a fridge in there , just need to add a TV

webfoot

Reaction score
My garage door opening is 2070mm and my Exige S3 (incl. mirrors which don't fold) is 1933mm. So wider than an Emira with folded mirrors (1896mm).

Need to be careful but it goes in (forwards for me) without too much problem. So I don't see why you shouldn't get the Emira in thro' the door. Just need to mind the gap as the mirrors go thro'.

My internal width is only 2470mm and I can get out of the Exige, which can't be as easy as the Emira, so I don't see why you would have a big problem with a 2900mm garage width. I have a couple of old car mats stuck on to an appropriate place on the wall to save banging the door.

* All the above subject to the usual warnings about man maths.......

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My garage door opening is 2070mm and my Exige S3 (incl. mirrors which don't fold) is 1933mm. So wider than an Emira with folded mirrors (1896mm).

Need to be careful but it goes in (forwards for me) without too much problem. So I don't see why you shouldn't get the Emira in thro' the door. Just need to mind the gap as the mirrors go thro'.

My internal width is only 2470mm and I can get out of the Exige, which can't be as easy as the Emira, so I don't see why you would have a big problem with a 2900mm garage width. I have a couple of old car mats stuck on to an appropriate place on the wall to save banging the door.

* All the above subject to the usual warnings about man maths.......
Excellent, thanks for this, sounds v reassuring.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a lift in the garage and I use a Ring camera to watch live video feed on my phone as I drive on or off the ramps. Something like this may be able to help you too with the narrow garage situation.

CheshireCat

Reaction score
Gona be v tight. Will fit in, Just.

Had my enhance protect email on Friday. What deposit date were you?

I was last day goodwood, 11th July around 9am.

March build, April delivery.

Hoping for early April, very optimistic I know.
12th July 9am so 24 hours after you.

CheshireCat

Reaction score
How about a simple mirror, suspended from the garage ceiling and angled so that so see the widest aspect as it passes through the door. Low tech but may work.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I back in with mirrors folded and neck outside the window using full visual contact. Once the driver side of the car is up against the wall, hop over to the passenger seat to get out.