Garage dollies for off season storage

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have a tight garage space that I need to fit the Emira and am suv in. I was thinking of using these to tuck the Emira away for off season storage.

What does anyone think?

Attachments

• 64601_I.jpg
    64601_I.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 18

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You'll want to be careful if you are planning to store the car for any length of time on those - the two rollers will be small-area high-pressure points on the tyres, so not ideal - you ideally want something with a concave area, or even flat ground would be better than those for longer-term storage.

First images I found, but something like this or this (if you can find them in the right size):
s-l1600.jpg

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You'll want to be careful if you are planning to store the car for any length of time on those - the two rollers will be small-area high-pressure points on the tyres, so not ideal - you ideally want something with a concave area, or even flat ground would be better than those for longer-term storage.

First images I found, but something like this or this (if you can find them in the right size):
s-l1600.jpg

They look great and it would enable me to push the car in and out of the garage and save tyre wear. 😁👍🏻

OP
Time2Fly

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

s-l1600.jpg

You'd have to find one that matched the radius of the Emira's wheels though. But from what I can find modern tires don't flat spot like old tires did.

Anyway, I found these. The difference of course is the first ones are their own jack.

Img_2024_03_19_12_20_27.jpeg

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have a tight garage space that I need to fit the Emira and am suv in. I was thinking of using these to tuck the Emira away for off season storage.

What does anyone think?

These are super low quality and won't fit the rear tire of the Emira.

I just threw away a fullset.

SirSoysauce

Reaction score

What does anyone think?

I don't remember if my dad has this exact brand, but we store his F-type on these and push it into the garage during winter time. To that extent, we've never had major issues, however, if you do get them, be careful with the foot pump, as it can rub/scratch paint or the rims. Hasn't happened to any of our cars yet, but it always tends to be almost too close for comfort.

SirSoysauce

Reaction score

In our case. the Jaguar F-type has 20 x 10.5" rear rims and we've had no problems. Though I need to check the tire size itself. I will admit though, it's pretty close to the limit for size constraints at that size, so maybe the Emira's 20 x 11" will be too close for comfort.

Still, I think there are definitely more confidence inspiring options, those flat wheel dollies that support the whole wheel seem like a good choice.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In our case. the Jaguar F-type has 20 x 10.5" rear rims and we've had no problems. Though I need to check the tire size itself. I will admit though, it's pretty close to the limit for size constraints at that size, so maybe the Emira's 20 x 11" will be too close for comfort.

Still, I think there are definitely more confidence inspiring options, those flat wheel dollies that support the whole wheel seem like a good choice.
I couldn't fit a 20x10" on 295s on these, it will technically "fit" but the inside of the tire will be sitting on the inside ramp for the swivel caster. The Emira is a 295 on a 20x10.5"

OP
Time2Fly

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

It says 11" max wheel width. Were they too tight?

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
I couldn't fit a 20x10" on 295s on these, it will technically "fit" but the inside of the tire will be sitting on the inside ramp for the swivel caster. The Emira is a 295 on a 20x10.5"
Interesting, I'm going to have to check this out later then and see if we have the same brand or same problem. We've been using them for 3 years and haven't had any issues so far with various cars. Thanks for the info

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It says 11" max wheel width. Were they too tight?

Correct, this is also affected by the height of the tire (aspect ratio) and the width of the rim bead to bead, and then the construction of the tire and the tread width to section width ratio.

I don't think the Emira tires have looked particularly stretched -- pretty squared off on sidewalls -- and 295mm of section width is already 11.6"

OP
Time2Fly

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@kitkat what do you think of the black ones then?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@kitkat what do you think of the black ones then?

I have no personal experience with them but they seem like a good option if you're willing to jack up each side.

The other part about the Harbor Freight dolley I used was they simply didn't roll very well if that's important to you.

OP
Time2Fly

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have no personal experience with them but they seem like a good option if you're willing to jack up each side.

The other part about the Harbor Freight dolley I used was they simply didn't roll very well if that's important to you.
Yeah, and this is a Nissan Titan with a stock wheel width of 275 and it's already resting on the nuts. 😤 Looks like it might be difficult to find something that will work.
Img_2024_03_19_14_47_16.jpeg

This one says it's good for 13" / 330mm wide tires.

Last edited:

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I own these are they are great!! get them! I got them for my Elise because I wanted to reduce the times I needed to jack the vehicle up.

OP
Time2Fly

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I own these are they are great!! get them! I got them for my Elise because I wanted to reduce the times I needed to jack the vehicle up.

Are they wide enough though? Reports from other forum members are they won't hold the 295mm wide tire.