My trip to Hethel

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira supposedly comes fitted with 20x8.5 and 20x10.

Lotus offsets are extremely high. There's a possibility that the manufacturer won't have an offset appropriate to the Emira fitment. You can use Evora offsets as a rough guide. We don't know what the Emira offset will be yet but it's almost certain to be higher than typical production cars.

From the Lotus service bulletin on wheels from September 2017:

Clearance isn't actually the most important consideration around offset, at least not in the front. The main reason to match the offset as closely as possible on the front axle is to retain the steering axis point. If you move the center of the contact patch outward (lower offset wheel in the same width) it causes the wheel to move through a slight arc as you steer. There are a ton of handling implications, some of which are benign and some which are more undesirable.
Those are high offsets. 45 is usually the highest on a 3rd party wheel. Hopefully the Emira isn't that bad, but if it is, that pretty much rules out off-the-shelf 3rd party wheels. I hope these "ultra light" wheels are indeed ultra light. I wonder what the engineering reason is behind such high offsets? That moves the wheel inward, which would mean the hub/rotor is outward a bit farther than usual. It's not a huge amount, like 3/8th of an inch, but still interesting in light of how experienced Lotus engineers are for chassis development.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't think anyone knows oem weights or offset yet, but size is 20x8.5/10..

I understand not wanting to track with 20s but many exotics these days are running 20s with low profile tires and stiff sidewalls. Smaller wheels can save unsprung weight and rotational mass, but there are pros and cons of running different wheel diameters and tire sizes.

Good video. Really well done.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Those are high offsets. 45 is usually the highest on a 3rd party wheel. Hopefully the Emira isn't that bad, but if it is, that pretty much rules out off-the-shelf 3rd party wheels. I hope these "ultra light" wheels are indeed ultra light. I wonder what the engineering reason is behind such high offsets? That moves the wheel inward, which would mean the hub/rotor is outward a bit farther than usual. It's not a huge amount, like 3/8th of an inch, but still interesting in light of how experienced Lotus engineers are for chassis development.
The short answer is that they are able to do so. They are one of the few manufacturers that uses double wishbone suspension front and rear, and they place the coilover shock assembly at a steep angle with the top mounting point inboard to maximize suspension leverage against it. That's a design most commonly associated with dedicated race cars. They sacrifice a lot of space in the nose of the car to do that, space that other manufacturers would dedicate to storage or other mechanical systems.

Many steel unibody designs couldn't accommodate that sort of design at all because of the needed position and design of the frame rails and crumple zones. So Lotus are doing a very special and uncompromising thing, for a production street car. Even mid-engine cars like the Cayman don't dedicate this much room, they use a McPherson strut suspension which is horizontally compact to save the space so they can dedicate it to frunk storage in the nose. My hat is off to Lotus for it.

Example below to show the geometry, I think this is an Evora GT4. Exact details vary from model to model but the general layout is very similar on all the modern ones, including the Emira. I've placed an arrow highlighting the steering axis point. There's a ball joint there, and another one at the bottom. You can see it's quite far inboard, and the distance between that point and the wheel mounting face determines the needed wheel offset to position the tire's contact patch appropriately. It's part of what contributes to that legendary Lotus steering feel.

1648654438450.png

Here's an Emira in production... you can see the general geometry is similar. Tons of inboard room for wheel/tire.
1648654990461.png

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The short answer is that they are able to do so. They are one of the few manufacturers that uses double wishbone suspension front and rear, and they place the coilover shock assembly at a steep angle with the top mounting point inboard to maximize suspension leverage against it. That's a design most commonly associated with dedicated race cars. They sacrifice a lot of space in the nose of the car to do that, space that other manufacturers would dedicate to storage or other mechanical systems.

Many steel unibody designs couldn't accommodate that sort of design at all because of the needed position and design of the frame rails and crumple zones. So Lotus are doing a very special and uncompromising thing, for a production street car. Even mid-engine cars like the Cayman don't dedicate this much room, they use a McPherson strut suspension which is horizontally compact to save the space so they can dedicate it to frunk storage in the nose. My hat is off to Lotus for it.

Example below to show the geometry, I think this is an Evora GT4. Exact details vary from model to model but the general layout is very similar on all the modern ones, including the Emira. I've placed an arrow highlighting the steering axis point. There's a ball joint there, and another one at the bottom. You can see it's quite far inboard, and the distance between that point and the wheel mounting face determines the needed wheel offset to position the tire's contact patch appropriately. It's part of what contributes to that legendary Lotus steering feel.

View attachment 4205

Here's an Emira in production... you can see the general geometry is similar. Tons of inboard room for wheel/tire.
View attachment 4206
Excellent, thank you. So the high offset moves the centerline of the wheel over the pivot point of the hub. That explains the feeling of balance; things aren't fighting each other. Can't wait to get this car!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

View attachment 4205

View attachment 4206
Brilliant 👏 chapeau

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I doff my cap to all you lot... You really know your onions!
I love the idea of knowing and understanding more about mechanics and all the jargon you guys come out with.

Whilst not comprehending the content of these posts, it still excites me as most are finished with comments like...

I commend Lotus for doing so.

Thanks all 👍👍👍

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 4205

View attachment 4206

I tried to like this post twice! Very informative @Porter 👏🏼

Jonno

Reaction score
THIS is everything that is WRONG about Lotus!! Should I be getting the best damn colour information from a Emira Non Lotus sponsored forum? NO, I shouldnt. I am very thankful I am, but this information would have been fantastic before I placed my order earlier this month.

Why do they want to play games with us like that? I also couldnt make the one showing my dealer did becuase I was away on business, so I was not able to see the colour samples.

I may be a bit salty now, but the car has been announced, orders taken, so why cant we get official photos of the cars with all the colours....grrrr.

/rant over

For what its worth I picked the Emira over a Mclaren because my Elise drives so well.
Yes, agree that it's a little frustrating not yet being able to see the colours on the cars, in the flesh. I'm lucky that I live only 3hrs drive from Hethel, so will be partaking of the factory tour on 20 April. Even at £95 it's well worth it to get up close and see everything 1st hand.

I'm currently in the Nimbus camp on my official spec (V6 Manual), but the Seneca also appeals. I'll post a report on the factory tour when I've been.

....even after all this time from the original press launch last year, I still think the car just looks epic. Build/delivery scheduled for August (if I don't change my mind on the spec) :)

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Yes, agree that it's a little frustrating not yet being able to see the colours on the cars, in the flesh. I'm lucky that I live only 3hrs drive from Hethel, so will be partaking of the factory tour on 20 April. Even at £95 it's well worth it to get up close and see everything 1st hand.

I'm currently in the Nimbus camp on my official spec (V6 Manual), but the Seneca also appeals. I'll post a report on the factory tour when I've been.

....even after all this time from the original press launch last year, I still think the car just looks epic. Build/delivery scheduled for August (if I don't change my mind on the spec) :)
Really looking forward to your report, especially regarding Dark Verdant (my spec) and Nimbus - which keeps calling to me!

note89

Reaction score
I have also booked a tour of the factory now! Very nice, never seen the car in the flesh.
@3MIRA is there a place where one can view and sit in a show car and view the options on sight?
Thinking if i should arrive early for my tour and spend some time in the showroom (if they have).
Says not to arrive early in the invite.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have also booked a tour of the factory now! Very nice, never seen the car in the flesh.
@3MIRA is there a place where one can view and sit in a show car and view the options on sight?
Thinking if i should arrive early for my tour and spend some time in the showroom (if they have).
Says not to arrive early in the invite.
That is impressive dedication travelling from Portugal! I've just booked for May 3rd and I thought I was a bit mad travelling down from Edinburgh :)

As far as I know no showroom on site, but perhaps that might change. I am sure everyone visiting would at least want to sit in the car.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is the Lotus gift shop open in Hethel to buy some Lotus merchandise?

Most of what you can find online has the old Lotus logo. 😬

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That is impressive dedication travelling from Portugal! I've just booked for May 3rd and I thought I was a bit mad travelling down from Edinburgh :)

As far as I know no showroom on site, but perhaps that might change. I am sure everyone visiting would at least want to sit in the car.
In going as well. Only a 6 hour 20 minute train ride each way So you're not that mad

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

For anyone going to Hethel it is worth seeing if you can book a tour at Classic Team Lotus 5 mins away - you'll need to book in advance. They have souvenir shop too.

Classic Team Lotus is entirely separate to and not owned by Lotus Cars.

jmn444

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What's the lead time on these aftermarket wheels? Surprised you're already looking to order something to improve on what Lotus has designed. You have to remember that Gavin and team's suspension and tire tuning is based on the stock wheels. You change out the wheels and who knows what may happen? Don't try and improve on what Lotus has done... they're masters at their craft and you don't want to mess with perfection. I'll put Gavin's experience against yours any day of the week ;)

I'm sure most people won't get the reference as to why I'm saying this... but you will, @Eagle7 since you questioned why I would EVER consider getting coil-overs for my Emira and consider lowering the car. The sacrilege! Gavin tuned the car and I'd ruin it!

P.S. No, not starting drama, just giving you a taste of your own medicine, so you see what it sounds like coming back at ya ;)

Real heroes don't wear capes hahahahahaha!

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m thinking of going on the factory tour too. I’m just wondering if ‘moose’ could let us know what the price of a coffee and a mars bar is in the canteen, I don’t like to carry more cash than is necessary TIA

Yachtie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was going to book a tour but customer services said that if you collect your car from the factory a tour is included. As I’m meant to get the car early July and live less than an hour away I think I’ll wait!
Otherwise it would be a no brainer!

Reactions: AGP