Manual shifting improvements

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I thought the rule is smooth-on smooth-off rather than jabbing at the throttle like that mid-corner, which causes weight shift and traction loss at the rear wheel, leading to bad outcomes?

Edit: or is this the flip side of anti-lock-braking, anti-skid-accelerating? Kind of a rudimentary traction control? With the delay and smoothing algorithms of modern electronic throttle, I wonder if this is even possible any more.

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought the rule is smooth-on smooth-off rather than jabbing at the throttle like that mid-corner, which causes weight shift and traction loss at the rear wheel, leading to bad outcomes?

Edit: or is this the flip side of anti-lock-braking, anti-skid-accelerating? Kind of a rudimentary traction control? With the delay and smoothing algorithms of modern electronic throttle, I wonder if this is even possible any more.

That was a Senna thing, several references to it out there, very odd and hard to see how it worked but he certainly made it work for him.

Interesting analysis here

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
One of the reasons why Senna was so fast was he came up with the technique of blipping the throttle during cornering to keep the turbo spooled up so it was still on boost when he was exiting a corner. What he's doing in that video as far as throttle blip would only work on a turbo car with manual transmission. The supercharged V6 Emira probably wouldn't benefit much from that, although I plan on trying a few things once I get mine to see where the sweet spot is.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
He could also just be f-ing with us knowing that it is being recorded.

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
One of the reasons why Senna was so fast was he came up with the technique of blipping the throttle during cornering to keep the turbo spooled up so it was still on boost when he was exiting a corner. What he's doing in that video as far as throttle blip would only work on a turbo car with manual transmission. The supercharged V6 Emira probably wouldn't benefit much from that, although I plan on trying a few things once I get mine to see where the sweet spot is.

Nope, he did it in his earliest years in Karting and in atmo cars long before he got into a turbo. It is his technique and it probably had benefits in turbos but that is not why he developed it.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
That was a Senna thing, several references to it out there, very odd and hard to see how it worked but he certainly made it work for him.

Interesting analysis here

Something else that happens with Senna's throttle blip technique is it keeps you a bit higher in the the torque curve so you would have slightly more torque coming out of a corner. He was a master at figuring out how to get performance out of a car in small ways, and in racing, those small ways often were the difference between where you placed or even winning or losing.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Nope, he did it in his earliest years in Karting and in atmo cars long before he got into a turbo. It is his technique and it probably had benefits in turbos but that is not why he developed it.
It worked in karts because you don't have much torque coming out of a corner. I drove karts in my younger years and you could easily get bogged down and lose momentum. Though he was in much more powerful cars later on, he still basically drove as a momentum driver, just at a higher level.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sorry if I put no technical skills on this thread.
But reality is he did not apply any special technique.
He was only the best to interact with the machine and make it run like nobody ever did.
The rest, how would he do with the actual F1 cars, who knows, unfortunately.
Whoever can say knows from a computer that it is a better way to win races, please go ahead and prove it consistently on track against any of the 20 F1 drivers.
Analysis makes sense, but racing is a little bit more of adrenaline.

SENNA FOREVER 🥂

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Sorry if I put no technical skills on this thread.
But reality is he did not apply any special technique.
He was only the best to interact with the machine and make it run like nobody ever did.
The rest, how would he do with the actual F1 cars, who knows, unfortunately.
Whoever can say knows from a computer that it is a better way to win races, please go ahead and prove it consistently on track against any of the 20 F1 drivers.
Analysis makes sense, but racing is a little bit more of adrenaline.

SENNA FOREVER 🥂
Him being "the best to interact with the machine and make it run like nobody ever did" is pretty much what you would call a "special technique". You do know he was a Lotus driver in F1 and won races in F1 don't you?

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Him being "the best to interact with the machine and make it run like nobody ever did" is pretty much what you would call a "special technique". You do know he was a Lotus driver in F1 and won races in F1 don't you?
Sorry, I didn't´explain myself well. of course, to me he was the best ever

OP
C

crashprash

Reaction score
Coming from a Honda, the manual shift in the Emira feels lacking - not as buttery smooth, notchy, reverse is a pain to get into etc. In the past I've improved manual shifting feel by changing the shifter cable, inserts and ends along with stiffer engine mount inserts. I am wondering if the below mods would have the same effect? Anyone done something similar?

I've ordered both of these so will update once they are fitted

OP
C

crashprash

Reaction score
It would be handy if you fitted the short shift first and said how that made it feel on its own.
This would be my preferred option but it's a lot cheaper and more convenient to get both (plus a bunch of other stuff fitted at the same time)

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This would be my preferred option but it's a lot cheaper and more convenient to get both (plus a bunch of other stuff fitted at the same time)
That makes sense. What else have you got planned?