Manual shifting improvements

crashprash

Reaction score
Coming from a Honda, the manual shift in the Emira feels lacking - not as buttery smooth, notchy, reverse is a pain to get into etc. In the past I've improved manual shifting feel by changing the shifter cable, inserts and ends along with stiffer engine mount inserts. I am wondering if the below mods would have the same effect? Anyone done something similar?

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How many kilometers have you driven now?
At first it was hard to shift into gear, but by the end of the break-in period, it felt very good.

OP
C

crashprash

Reaction score
How many kilometers have you driven now?
At first it was hard to shift into gear, but by the end of the break-in period, it felt very good.
I've done almost 4000kms so well over the break-in period (did my break-in service as well).

Whitey

Reaction score
It is probably just down to how the cables were set up and adjusted. The change quality between cars does vary considerably. I know this because I am on my 2nd Emira due to problems with the first one. Current car has a very slick change, way better than the first one which used to be difficult to get in to first and reverse particularly. I would get it booked into dealer for them to adjust it.

Steve24

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I personally find the gearchange fine.
Much better now than early on (After 3000km).

That said, I knew going in that it wasn’t going to be anything like a DCT!

When a chose an old school manual I knew what to expect, and I think it’s pretty good all things considered.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Proper adjustment will definitely improve things. These cars are sensitive to it.

I’ve had three cars with the same transmission setup (Exige 350, Evora 400 and Emira) and they’ve all been slightly different.

The Emira, thankfully, has been the best of all.
Lovely snickety-snick action. No problem getting any gear.

So perfection is possible.

OP
C

crashprash

Reaction score
It is probably just down to how the cables were set up and adjusted. The change quality between cars does vary considerably. I know this because I am on my 2nd Emira due to problems with the first one. Current car has a very slick change, way better than the first one which used to be difficult to get in to first and reverse particularly. I would get it booked into dealer for them to adjust it.
I'll get my dealer to look into it along with some other issues that have popped up since my break-in service. Hoping this resolves it, although a shorter shift would be nice as well :p

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'll get my dealer to look into it along with some other issues that have popped up since my break-in service. Hoping this resolves it, although a shorter shift would be nice as well :p

OP
C

crashprash

Reaction score
yep, this is what i have in mine (see original post)

ltullos

Reaction score
On a related note, the Emira does NOT come with auto throttle blip does it? I'm coming from Nissan 370Z which does have this; so I assume I'm going to have to develop my heel & toe skills or add aftermarket mod.

MYFASTEFE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
And coming from a Toyota? LOL Imagine coming from a Porsche manual, they are different and so much fun to drive! I love the car for what it is, and nothing else. Maybe aftermarket stuff will come out with a better shifter. Etc.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
wonder if these would fit the Emira

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
yep, this is what i have in mine (see original post)
So you have fitted the short shift adapter?
If yes did you take any install pictures and do you have any plus and negative points to share?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I’m interested to see where it fits and if it’s visible as well as hearing from someone who has experience.
On the transmission is a small arm that when rotated pushes the shifting arm to move the gear sleeve. This device shortens that arm, so the gear lever moves less but requires more effort.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
On a related note, the Emira does NOT come with auto throttle blip does it? I'm coming from Nissan 370Z which does have this; so I assume I'm going to have to develop my heel & toe skills or add aftermarket mod.
Yep, you'll need to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel. 😜