Magma Red Lotus Emira Photo Thread

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This might be of interest -- comparing the old Fire Red to the new Magma Red. These two photos appear to have similar weather conditions.

Magma looks glossier and less maroon. The higher gloss does make it a bit harder to pick out the body lines though...

IMG_6287.JPG

4.jpeg

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Magma looks a lot more (regular metallic) red than I was expecting. I don’t see the deep burgundy / cherry that would have tempted me away from blue.

I’d read comparison to Mazda’s soul red but this doesn’t look as complex as that.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’d read comparison to Mazda’s soul red but this doesn’t look as complex as that.

Yeah, it's certainly no Mazda Soul Red. On another post someone mentioned the paint process isn't multi-layered, so something with the complexity of Soul would be impossible.

I'm intrigued to see a solid red car next to it. I'm having trouble seeing any kind of metallic fleck in that bottom photo...

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah, it's certainly no Mazda Soul Red. On another post someone mentioned the paint process isn't multi-layered, so something with the complexity of Soul would be impossible.

I'm intrigued to see a solid red car next to it. I'm having trouble seeing any kind of metallic fleck in that bottom photo...
Agreed. For all the talk of state of the art paints etc it looks a little underwhelming and very Similar to the fire red.

I hope it’s a lesson learnt for the supposed lotus marketing experts. They had the chance to control the first public pictures and direct the narrative but blew it trying to be precious.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Once we start getting our cars, let the swapping begin.

I’ll trade someone my silver LOTUS letters for black ones. I’ll also trade my red seats for black seats, preferably with red stitch :)
Best offer, I´ll trade in with anyone my mother in law for free!

Home delivery included, in 20 ft container

Attachments

• PHOTO-2022-04-26-14-06-02.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-04-26-14-06-02.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 44

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Agreed. For all the talk of state of the art paints etc it looks a little underwhelming and very Similar to the fire red.

I hope it’s a lesson learnt for the supposed lotus marketing experts. They had the chance to control the first public pictures and direct the narrative but blew it trying to be precious.
If only it were a lesson for the super fanboys in this forum as well.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Yeah I’m not seeing any metallic component at all however that could flare up under the sun. I remember one of the first descriptions of magma from a factory tour being that it has golden metallic flake in it which would be really brilliant under the sun.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah I’m not seeing any metallic component at all however that could flare up under the sun. I remember one of the first descriptions of magma from a factory tour being that it has golden metallic flake in it which would be really brilliant under the sun.
Magma does have a gold metallic flake which is evident in direct sunlight. You may have picked that up from my visit write up from January.

I'm guessing it's not showing very well in these recent picture because (a) it's a grey overcast day in Norfolk and (b) the pictures have been downloaded from Instagram and re-uploaded to Facebook and forums so the image quality is poor.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
While cell phone cameras are nice, and can sometimes do some pretty good things, overall they're not pro level cameras. The imaging arrays are small, and the amount of light the small lenses allow in isn't nearly as much as a good pro level camera lens.

There's also the processing software that cell phones use which can do all kinds of things to an image, depending on its settings. Then you have as Tom said, transfer from the original cell phone to online media, which can take multiple avenues, each of which are doing their own processing/compression to an image. Each level of processing/compression is going to degrade the image. This happens when copying film photos as well, unless you have the original negatives.

At best these are just representations. The cars are going to look better in person than in any of these photos, which is something that's not unusual when you see actual cars in real life.

While this may seem obvious, or should anyways, sometimes the obvious has to be stated as a reminder, especially for the super critics.

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
one question guys about the bad look of the silver wheels, why is all people presumably accepting wheels will look worse with this matt satin look than gloss?

is the same look on new wheels like the new 992 gt3? this kind of look satin are incredible

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
At best these are just representations. The cars are going to look better in person than in any of these photos, which is something that's not unusual when you see actual cars in real life.

While this may seem obvious, or should anyways, sometimes the obvious has to be stated as a reminder, especially for the super critics.

We’ll let’s just hope that’s the case because if anything camera phone pictures tend to boost dynamic range and saturate colours - which should make the pictures pop even more.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
We’ll let’s just hope that’s the case because if anything camera phone pictures tend to boost dynamic range and saturate colours - which should make the pictures pop even more.
They do if they're in HDR mode (which I don't like) otherwise the software is adjusting on the basis of the brightest area, dimming everything else down so the brights don't blow out the image. It doesn't take much light to overload those small imaging sensors. On a pro camera, they have much larger imaging sensor arrays, and larger lenses to allow more and better light in. They're less likely to get overwhelmed by brights.

Even still, the transfer of photos to and through all the processing that takes place on computers, internet transfer, web browsers and viewing screens, is going to alter the image, and not in a better way. This is where Lotus could have helped us out by taking and uploading some high quality photos taken with a pro setup. Even if they aren't perfect and the cars will still look better in person (which they will), they would definitely be better than in-the-moment cell phone photos. The fact that people are so excited about just seeing even those photos should give them the clue. Stop worrying about it. Show us the pro photos, we'll be okay with it.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The other thing about these cellphone photos, is the aperture they use tends to distort the shape of the car and stretch things to not look right. If they had a pro camera and were using a 50mm lens, it would keep the correct look. Same way a lot of selfies people take can look different because it is taken too close to their face to have a proper field of view for the camera.

Singularity

Reaction score
.... also remember the noise processing in most cameras will play havoc with seeing any metallic flake which will likely just be seen as noise and ‘smoothed’ out.

Even if I was shooting with a good SLR / mirrorless I would make sure to shoot RAW with a low ISO and turn off all noise reduction if I wanted to see the ‘texture’ in the paint. It’s not all just just about white balance and saturation!

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The more I see the magma the more I love it, I was going to switch from tan to black leather seats but those seats in the Seneca look good in tan