• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus vs The Dragon 2024

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The promoter put this out on FB, but I figured I'd re-post here on the forums. With an eye towards optimism anyone lucky enough to have their Emira by mid May, this event looks like it'll be a hoot!

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 21.38.05.png

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The promoter put this out on FB, but I figured I'd re-post here on the forums. With an eye towards optimism anyone lucky enough to have their Emira by mid May, this event looks like it'll be a hoot!

View attachment 37472
I'm somewhat close and I've taken several cars to the Dragon and want to take the Emira soon (ha ha). The first time I went was 2006 and weekends weren't too bad then. Each time in our NSX group someone got their car hit even back then. Lately it has become filled with idiots and bad driving on the weekend to want to even risk it. Also a lot of Harley riders who end up having to go slow when part of a large group. The last two times we scheduled onto another road trip to be there on weekday morning when its almost abandoned.
Does look like a good together though.
EDIT: says they start their drive route on Friday morning so they are probably planning to do the Dragon part then which is a good idea to avoid craziness. The surrounding roads are great too.

Last edited:

LuckysDad

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh man that looks fantastic! I would love to book but have no confidence my car will here in time, even though it's built and sitting Norfolk.

OP
brainf18

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
As I understand it, most of the drives are not on the actual tail of the dragon. But comparable roads, with much less traffic nearby.

OP
brainf18

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Oh man that looks fantastic! I would love to book but have no confidence my car will here in time, even though it's built and sitting Norfolk.
I’m rolling the dice and betting that my car will be here on time. If not, I’m only out of a few hundred bucks.

Also, I look at it this way. We buy the emira to drive, enjoy and make new friends..,.so this is exactly the kind of thing I should use it for.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As I understand it, most of the drives are not on the actual tail of the dragon. But comparable roads, with much less traffic nearby.
The Dragon will be hit a couple of times at least. However, the Dragon is probably one of the less interesting roads they run as there are some much faster and lightly traveled roads in the area. I've run with them a few times and they are very well organized! I've signed up but it all depends on the car being available.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
This looks like a blast! The Dragon is about 11 hours from me though. Not sure I'd want to keep driving the next few days after making the trek down. Wish I was closer. 🫤

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I used to organize large Subaru owner events there back in the early and mid 2000s. Together with my own trips to the area, I've probably been there more than 50 times. Great memories there.

As mentioned by others... there are some fantastic roads around that region, easily the equal of the Dragon or better. I know most of them like the back of my hand.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to organize large Subaru owner events there back in the early and mid 2000s.

Did we talk about NASIOC days before? I feel like we did. I used to organize lots of our local Delaware Subie meets back in ~2005-2010.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The Dragon is close to me and I go about twice a year. I usually show up during the week right at day break, run it about a 1/2 dozen times and then leave. No traffic. I have never ran it during prime time. My Emira will be there in 2024 for sure. It's a pure momentum car road staying in 3rd gear mainly and occasionally 2nd and a couple of times 4th rarely hitting the brakes.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did we talk about NASIOC days before? I feel like we did. I used to organize lots of our local Delaware Subie meets back in ~2005-2010.
Only briefly! We need to catch up. I knew a bunch of the Tri-State usual suspects back in the day.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m seriously thinking about taking a week off work when I get the car, to tackle the dragon. Leaving from NY. Run it in on the way down.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m seriously thinking about taking a week off work when I get the car, to tackle the dragon. Leaving from NY. Run it in on the way down.
If you're really doing that, I've got a couple of epic roads in Virginia that I can recommend on the way.

HydroJim

Reaction score
I did the inaugural event last year in my Elise. I'm unable to make it this year due to a wedding, but I sure wish I could!

If it's anything like last year, you'll hit the dragon each of the 3 days. After the dragon, you'll do a ton of roads that can be even more fun and often have less traffic. It's the most fun you can have in your car aside from being on a track. Even then, you don't get 700 miles of driving on a track day like you do at this event. The tradeoff is, it can be illegal, reckless, and dangerous depending on if you stick with the front of the pack or slow down and hang with the back of the pack.

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Very cool! I’m in Toronto and have a cottage and golf membership in Pinehurst NC. I happen to have just arranged a trip down there for my dad’s 70th May 19-26th (the final week before they shut No. 2 for the US Open so grandstands will be up etc). My dad loves the idea of road tripping down along Blue Ridge Parkway. My Emira is likely expected Mayish as it’s in production as of a couple weeks back, so on the next boat or the one after (but definitely not enough luggage space for the 2 of us even if I get it). I’ve never done that route before so welcome any tips!

We’d likely depart Toronto around the 15th/16th (which could connect with this event if there’s a way to not be a part of it but “visit”), dad is pretty excited for the Emira too! Would only do the parkway the way down then do a straight shot back. Also deciding whether to take my 2012 E350 cabriolet on a final voyage - looks like a great drive in a cabriolet and I always planned to get rid of it for a daily SUV shortly after the Emira arrives. Other options to take dad’s fully loaded Santa Fe which has a bit more room to spread out with luggage etc. The cabriolet is usable though even with the top down to fit golf clubs in the trunk and 2 duffles in the back seat that would be taken into the hotels at night. Lastly I have corporate National booking rate to just do a 1-way luxury class rental at $300 a week and then fly back from Raleigh.

Appreciate any thoughts :).