• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus to cut 200 jobs as a result of disappointing 2022 sales and £145m losses

Sad news but not a huge surprise:

"Lotus has confirmed proposals to cut up to 200 jobs in response to a significant fall in sales last year.

The Geely-owned manufacturer maker sold just 576 cars in 2022, down from 1566 in 2021, which it blamed on supply chain issues in the second half of the year.

Last year, Lotus sold just one model, the Lotus Emira, having ended production of the Lotus Elise, Lotus Exige and Lotus Evora in 2021. The Lotus Eletre entered production this year.

The cuts, confirmed by a spokesperson speaking to ITV, were part of a move by the Norfolk-based brand to “restructure its workforce" after it posted losses of £145.1"

001-lotus-emira-tracking-front-2022_0.jpg

And this:

"Sportscar-maker Lotus Cars is to cut up to 200 jobs in a move it claims will make it "leaner and more competitive long-term".

The manufacturer, which is based at Hethel in Norfolk, described the move as a restructure of its workforce" and said it would work to find new roles for workers where possible. It has not said where.

Lotus is owned by the Chinese car giant Geely, which took a majority stake in Lotus in May 2017, when it vowed to "unleash the full potential" of the marque, with the ambition to raise production to 10,000 cars a year.

Lotus Cars' most recent accounts, published on Friday, showed that the number of cars the company sold dropped from 1,566 in 2021 to just 576 in 2022.

A note in the accounts explained that the drop in sales was "limited in the second half of the year with the production challenges faced" by the supply chain the automotive sector.

The company lost £145.1m in the year to 31 December 2022, up from losses of £86.6m a year before.

A Lotus spokesman confirmed the job cut plans, and said: "Lotus Cars' proposal for a reorganisation of its business is to ensure that the right organisational structure is in place for us to achieve our business goals and to build a strong, sustainable future.

"This includes a restructure of its workforce, which may involve the loss of up to 200 jobs.

"Wherever possible, we will look to support the redeployment of staff and plan to look for ways to retain specific skills and knowledge within the business, despite the proposed cuts. We believe this is vital to ensuring the organisation is leaner and more competitive long-term."

The firm said it expected 2023 to be a "record year for vehicle production".

The spokesman added: "Our shareholders have made a clear commitment that the UK, having invested over £500m into Lotus Cars’ UK R&D [research and development] and operations and created many new jobs at our new London headquarters, as well as in Norfolk, and this shows the long-term commitment to the brand in the UK."

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't know how much more they can raise prices. I feel that the base car at 90k USD starting price is probably still okay. Heck, they may even be able to put it at 95k if they want somewhat of a parity with the Cayman GTS 4.0. But I really doubt they can get away with much more than that.
Hard to say where they will put the base V6/i4 or what the price of options will be. The big caveat here is this is the last year (2024) to buy a ICE 718. Will be EV for model year 2025. Lotus will be alone in the mid-engine manual ICE game. For the i4, will still be competing with C8. Gotta be honest with you, I think with them pushing the EV switch over at Hethel, it looks to me that they are going lower volume (it's already low volume, but I mean under 5K annual production) and higher pricing. I think the base i4 Emira will start at 90K-95KUSD and 99KUSD for the base V6.... time will tell.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
New round of jobs cuts at Hethel? - What does this mean for the future of Emira? Has Emira interest peeked and Lotus is now looking to cut back production? Has the sports car market correction across the globe made it's way to manufacturers? Interesting....

This seems rather dated. 2022 sales were stated but no metrics for 2023 which was a huge bump in Emira production and delivery. And if the cuts amount to the minor (yes, I care about job loss impact) 30 positions , it isn't like the 200 previous cuts.
I take this as sloppy journalism with drama headline. Many companies fine-tune staff levels at year-end to address production needs. Lotus is not faltering. No mention of specific electric model launches and market reaction. Nor accolades (sports car of year).
Why am I so invested in this?
Sigh.....

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hard to say where they will put the base V6/i4 or what the price of options will be. The big caveat here is this is the last year (2024) to buy a ICE 718. Will be EV for model year 2025. Lotus will be alone in the mid-engine manual ICE game. For the i4, will still be competing with C8. Gotta be honest with you, I think with them pushing the EV switch over at Hethel, it looks to me that they are going lower volume (it's already low volume, but I mean under 5K annual production) and higher pricing. I think the base i4 Emira will start at 90K-95KUSD and 99KUSD for the base V6.... time will tell.
Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. They may push up price with the intent of driving down demand so that they can sooner switch to electric vehicle production.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
New round of jobs cuts at Hethel? - What does this mean for the future of Emira? Has Emira interest peeked and Lotus is now looking to cut back production? Has the sports car market correction across the globe made it's way to manufacturers? Interesting....

Three key words in this article shows where Lotus wants to be: "luxury technology brand". That means they're going to move away from the sub $100k market and go upscale. Fine and all, except they had better pay attention to the need for "luxury technology" customer service or they're going to find themselves out of the running.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
After 12+ months of running the new production lines you'd be shocked and disappointed if they hadn't found a way to achieve 10%+ labour efficiency.

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score

It says its moving to electric only production. Building electric takes much less labor.

I don't think this means a reduction in emira production untill they stop building them completely in the next several years moving to all electric.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I just found it interesting they have not once mentioned extending the ICE life for Lotus sports cars and infact have only pushed the full EV narrative. Agreed the next EV sports car will look to go more up market, which aligns with the overall thinking of making Lotus the premier brand for Geely. I mean they are selling a 2 million dollar hyper car!

I get the feeling that Geely wants old ICE lotus gone and bring in an EV sports car that they feel will better the competition, where Emira fell short in the eyes of the British motoring publications. It is surprising that Cartchpoole, EVO, top gear mag or any UK reviewers have not done any more comparison videos with a production level V6 Emira. To me that is one glaring omission. The only reviews besides some YouTubers that bought the Emira have been with pre-production cars. Kinda strange at this point.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I get the feeling that Geely wants old ICE lotus gone and bring in an EV sports car that they feel will better the competition
Yes and No. Remember, Lotus Motors is not part of the Lotus Technology SPAC (though they have an option to acquire it later and worldwide rights to distribute its cars). The NASDAQ-listed Lotus business will be 100% luxury EV, but they've allowed deliberate flexibility for Lotus Motors to keep selling the ICE Emira for a few more years.

Geely/Lotus Technology have been pretty open about the end game though. All the SPAC investor presentations target phasing out all ICE cars and going 100% EV by approximately 2026. My guess is that once the TYP 135 is launched in 2025, they will close off the Emira order book pretty quickly.