• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus to cut 200 jobs as a result of disappointing 2022 sales and £145m losses

Sad news but not a huge surprise:

"Lotus has confirmed proposals to cut up to 200 jobs in response to a significant fall in sales last year.

The Geely-owned manufacturer maker sold just 576 cars in 2022, down from 1566 in 2021, which it blamed on supply chain issues in the second half of the year.

Last year, Lotus sold just one model, the Lotus Emira, having ended production of the Lotus Elise, Lotus Exige and Lotus Evora in 2021. The Lotus Eletre entered production this year.

The cuts, confirmed by a spokesperson speaking to ITV, were part of a move by the Norfolk-based brand to “restructure its workforce" after it posted losses of £145.1"

001-lotus-emira-tracking-front-2022_0.jpg

And this:

"Sportscar-maker Lotus Cars is to cut up to 200 jobs in a move it claims will make it "leaner and more competitive long-term".

The manufacturer, which is based at Hethel in Norfolk, described the move as a restructure of its workforce" and said it would work to find new roles for workers where possible. It has not said where.

Lotus is owned by the Chinese car giant Geely, which took a majority stake in Lotus in May 2017, when it vowed to "unleash the full potential" of the marque, with the ambition to raise production to 10,000 cars a year.

Lotus Cars' most recent accounts, published on Friday, showed that the number of cars the company sold dropped from 1,566 in 2021 to just 576 in 2022.

A note in the accounts explained that the drop in sales was "limited in the second half of the year with the production challenges faced" by the supply chain the automotive sector.

The company lost £145.1m in the year to 31 December 2022, up from losses of £86.6m a year before.

A Lotus spokesman confirmed the job cut plans, and said: "Lotus Cars' proposal for a reorganisation of its business is to ensure that the right organisational structure is in place for us to achieve our business goals and to build a strong, sustainable future.

"This includes a restructure of its workforce, which may involve the loss of up to 200 jobs.

"Wherever possible, we will look to support the redeployment of staff and plan to look for ways to retain specific skills and knowledge within the business, despite the proposed cuts. We believe this is vital to ensuring the organisation is leaner and more competitive long-term."

The firm said it expected 2023 to be a "record year for vehicle production".

The spokesman added: "Our shareholders have made a clear commitment that the UK, having invested over £500m into Lotus Cars’ UK R&D [research and development] and operations and created many new jobs at our new London headquarters, as well as in Norfolk, and this shows the long-term commitment to the brand in the UK."

meenboli

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have no reason to disbelieve what you were told, but I don't really believe it! If they have no access to it, how do they get the money from it when a customer actually orders? Or when the "distance selling" period is over?

I assume it's released from the finance company at the point of final commitment - can't see why it's not a thing myself.

It's there to protect the buyer, and make them feel more comfortable when they place the deposit.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have no reason to disbelieve what you were told, but I don't really believe it! If they have no access to it, how do they get the money from it when a customer actually orders? Or when the "distance selling" period is over?
Pretty standard accounting practice across many industries to hold funds in an escrow account (as a liability on the books) until an order is fulfilled. Once the goods are delivered or service provided, gets rolled into a monthly transfer between accounts, and stuff shuffles on the ledger as a recognised sale.

If you have issues after that point, you're getting into refund territory.

EDIT: to be clear, it isn't that they "don't have access to it" (i.e. it is probably in an account controlled by them rather than a true third-party escrow), it's just normal to keep it separated from other funds until the sale is recognised.

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

They cannot recognise it as revenue and report it as earnings so it is useless to them as a company. So it might as well be in escrow as that amount of "cash" is tiny anyway. I used to chuckle when folks though it was a money making gambit to take these deposits. It helps them predict demand, that is all as folks willing to put money down are stickier than folks who say they want one but have short arms when it comes to committing.

Gridgway

Reaction score
They cannot recognise it as revenue and report it as earnings so it is useless to them as a company. So it might as well be in escrow as that amount of "cash" is tiny anyway. I used to chuckle when folks though it was a money making gambit to take these deposits. It helps them predict demand, that is all as folks willing to put money down are stickier than folks who say they want one but have short arms when it comes to committing.
Our answers crossed. How tiny are we thinking? 1000 deposits of 5k? 5m. 5000 deposits? Doesn't feel super small to me., but maybe in the scale of Lotus it is. As you say, cash is unconnected to earnings, but that certainly doesn't mean it's useless and might as well be in Escrow!

meenboli

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Our answers crossed. How tiny are we thinking? 1000 deposits of 5k? 5m. 5000 deposits? Doesn't feel super small to me., but maybe in the scale of Lotus it is. As you say, cash is unconnected to earnings, but that certainly doesn't mean it's useless and might as well be in Escrow!
Well, let's just say you lost 145 quid in fivers (may as well use that number since they've lost £145m) and then found one of them - the found fiver wouldn't be much help would it?

So on that scale - it is actually tiny 😉

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

I mean they can't spend it as it is not theirs, it is a refundable deposit. It needs to sit in an account fenced off somewhere so why not put it is a true escrow, the management fees would be similar to the accountant fees to manage it within their own systems and you can use it to reassure customers they can get it back any time.

5m is peanuts in the scheme of a global car company, I work for a much smaller sized company (about $3b sales) and 5m in finance terms would not even get the attention of a local manager let alone regions or global and Geely sell $21 b annually

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We did some math once last year and the guess at that time was that they'd taken somewhere around 15,000 deposits worldwide. I think higher now.

I deposited $2500 here in the US. Not sure what the base deposit was in the UK.

If we assume a $2k average deposit and 15k deposits that's $30 million dollars.

If a $2.5k average deposit and 15k deposits, that's $37.5 million.

Not chump change. At all.

Doing math on the cars... If they build and deliver all 15k at an average selling price of $98k... that's over $1.4 billion in gross revenue over about 3 years of full production.

meenboli

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
We did some math once last year and the guess at that time was that they'd taken somewhere around 15,000 deposits worldwide. I think higher now.

I deposited $2500 here in the US. Not sure what the base deposit was in the UK.

If we assume a $2k average deposit and 15k deposits that's $30 million dollars.

If a $2.5k average deposit and 15k deposits, that's $37.5 million.

Not chump change. At all.

Doing math on the cars... If they build and deliver all 15k at an average selling price of $98k... that's over $1.4 billion in gross revenue over about 3 years of full production.

Well I hope they do it...

(I'll maintain that minus 145 add 30 is still a big negative number!)

laupd

Reaction score
I'm _really_ curious how the Eletre is tracking with initial sales predictions. If the IPO paperwork was to be believed, Lotus was planning on moving an average of 50k/yr of those once up to full production speed. Literally an order of magnitude more important than Emira when guaging the health of the company.
Hi,
I am new here so please forgive me if this is an incorrectly held belief. Isn’t the Emira UK production, but the Electra Chinese production ?

I’m in the UK and recatching up on the Lotus story. I’m an engineer and remember fixing Elise’s and Esprit’s. Now considering purchasing a Emira of my own, partly because I understood it would be the last real (ie Built in the UK) Lotus.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
the Emira UK production, but the Electra Chinese production

You are correct. Emira production is at their Hethel UK plant and Eletre is being produced at their new Wuhan China plant.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi,
I am new here so please forgive me if this is an incorrectly held belief. Isn’t the Emira UK production, but the Electra Chinese production ?

I’m in the UK and recatching up on the Lotus story. I’m an engineer and remember fixing Elise’s and Esprit’s. Now considering purchasing a Emira of my own, partly because I understood it would be the last real (ie Built in the UK) Lotus.

I don't think the factory in the UK is temporary. I'm sure they'll use it for something else after the Emira is done.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The new all electric sports car (Emira replacement) is planned to be produced in Hethel.

laupd

Reaction score
You are correct. Emira production is at their Hethel UK plant and Eletre is being produced at their new Wuhan China plant.
Ok thank you. I believe the last petrol Lotus will become iconic in years to come, as well as other niche Marques. Emira’s will clearly remain sort after, if it’s as good as it needs to be and addresses manufacturing faults successfully.

The old Lotus’s were great to drive when they were on the road, but spent far too many hours in bits !

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't think the factory in the UK is temporary. I'm sure they'll use it for something else after the Emira is done.
New factory, offices and logistics building to facilitate Hethel expansion and build of type 135 electric sports car alongside Emira in the existing (but new to the tune of £100m the last few years) Emira factory building....

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
New round of jobs cuts at Hethel? - What does this mean for the future of Emira? Has Emira interest peeked and Lotus is now looking to cut back production? Has the sports car market correction across the globe made it's way to manufacturers? Interesting....

Last edited:

Gridgway

Reaction score
I doubt it means much at all for the Emira, we know it has a limited life anyway. I'm not surprised about job cuts. When I toured the factory it looked like an old school British workplace. For every person actually working there were several standing around watching and chatting!

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
A part of me does wonder if the new base pricing (to be announced) is significantly more than expected + increases to interest rates has given them a different outlook on future orders.

Gridgway

Reaction score
A part of me does wonder if the new base pricing (to be announced) is significantly more than expected + increases to interest rates has given them a different outlook on future orders.
Yes, lots of factors including no UK i4 deliveries till mid next year (and the rest I hear you all cry out!).

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't know how much more they can raise prices. I feel that the base car at 90k USD starting price is probably still okay. Heck, they may even be able to put it at 95k if they want somewhat of a parity with the Cayman GTS 4.0. But I really doubt they can get away with much more than that.