Lotus to cut 200 jobs as a result of disappointing 2022 sales and £145m losses

Sad news but not a huge surprise:

"Lotus has confirmed proposals to cut up to 200 jobs in response to a significant fall in sales last year.

The Geely-owned manufacturer maker sold just 576 cars in 2022, down from 1566 in 2021, which it blamed on supply chain issues in the second half of the year.

Last year, Lotus sold just one model, the Lotus Emira, having ended production of the Lotus Elise, Lotus Exige and Lotus Evora in 2021. The Lotus Eletre entered production this year.

The cuts, confirmed by a spokesperson speaking to ITV, were part of a move by the Norfolk-based brand to “restructure its workforce" after it posted losses of £145.1"

001-lotus-emira-tracking-front-2022_0.jpg

And this:

"Sportscar-maker Lotus Cars is to cut up to 200 jobs in a move it claims will make it "leaner and more competitive long-term".

The manufacturer, which is based at Hethel in Norfolk, described the move as a restructure of its workforce" and said it would work to find new roles for workers where possible. It has not said where.

Lotus is owned by the Chinese car giant Geely, which took a majority stake in Lotus in May 2017, when it vowed to "unleash the full potential" of the marque, with the ambition to raise production to 10,000 cars a year.

Lotus Cars' most recent accounts, published on Friday, showed that the number of cars the company sold dropped from 1,566 in 2021 to just 576 in 2022.

A note in the accounts explained that the drop in sales was "limited in the second half of the year with the production challenges faced" by the supply chain the automotive sector.

The company lost £145.1m in the year to 31 December 2022, up from losses of £86.6m a year before.

A Lotus spokesman confirmed the job cut plans, and said: "Lotus Cars' proposal for a reorganisation of its business is to ensure that the right organisational structure is in place for us to achieve our business goals and to build a strong, sustainable future.

"This includes a restructure of its workforce, which may involve the loss of up to 200 jobs.

"Wherever possible, we will look to support the redeployment of staff and plan to look for ways to retain specific skills and knowledge within the business, despite the proposed cuts. We believe this is vital to ensuring the organisation is leaner and more competitive long-term."

The firm said it expected 2023 to be a "record year for vehicle production".

The spokesman added: "Our shareholders have made a clear commitment that the UK, having invested over £500m into Lotus Cars’ UK R&D [research and development] and operations and created many new jobs at our new London headquarters, as well as in Norfolk, and this shows the long-term commitment to the brand in the UK."

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Reads more like a cost-saving management restructure than production line job losses to me. There likely still be some duplication of non-manufacturing Hethel functions across the Geely group that can be consolidated (I'm thinking finance, HR, etc.) for cost savings.....

Of course 2022 sales were down as they weren't making any cars to sell for a majority of the calendar year!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This seems like some kind of crazy joke.

The 2021 numbers are sales of Evoras, and the final batch of Elise and Exige.

In 2022 they had no product to sell, until the Emira began shipping in what... September?

So how does that translate to "sold just 576 cars, which it blamed on supply chain problems in the second half of the year"?

That statement by Autocar is beyond misleading. If anything, the supply chain issues were in the first half of the year, and prevented the vehicle from launching when planned.

I've been very critical of Lotus about a lot of things, but honestly this seems like a turd sandwich.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

In 2022 they had no product to sell, until the Emira began shipping in what... September?

So how does that translate to "sold just 576 cars, which it blamed on supply chain problems in the second half of the year"?

That statement by Autocar is beyond misleading. If anything, the supply chain issues were in the first half of the year, and prevented the vehicle from launching when planned.

I've been very critical of Lotus about a lot of things, but honestly this seems like a turd sandwich.
Agreed, it is pretty nuts. They probably should have continued building the outgoing models a bit longer. They could have sold them and at least production would have had something to do.

I mean they got circa 10k deposits for the Emira in those bad/low sales years. You’d think that counts for something….

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Great. Just great. They've already got 700 cars sold in North America if they could just build and ship them to us. Those would count immediately for this year's sales figures, not to mention whatever they've sold thus far elsewhere. This year should definitely be better, but geez what a time to make all the changes they did. Couldn't have been worse timing.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I bet they have no cuts in the Lotus customer outreach relations department. Can't go from 0 people to negative.

Maybe they should get rid of whoever made those stupid marketing short videos.
This seems to explain the recent price increases, the decline in CC responsiveness and drop in depositor marketing outreach. I've been through too many layoff situations; they affect morale and worker productivity while shocking investors. But business focus seems to sharpen and take on a required urgency. Remember all the QC issues? Folks were clamoring for heads to roll. US auto companies have also announced layoffs to address market conditions.
I'm wanting Lotus to succeed. Cleaning house may be requisite.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sad news but not a huge surprise:

"Lotus has confirmed proposals to cut up to 200 jobs in response to a significant fall in sales last year.

The Geely-owned manufacturer maker sold just 576 cars in 2022, down from 1566 in 2021, which it blamed on supply chain issues in the second half of the year.

Last year, Lotus sold just one model, the Lotus Emira, having ended production of the Lotus Elise, Lotus Exige and Lotus Evora in 2021. The Lotus Eletre entered production this year.

The cuts, confirmed by a spokesperson speaking to ITV, were part of a move by the Norfolk-based brand to “restructure its workforce" after it posted losses of £145.1"

001-lotus-emira-tracking-front-2022_0.jpg

And this:

"Sportscar-maker Lotus Cars is to cut up to 200 jobs in a move it claims will make it "leaner and more competitive long-term".

The manufacturer, which is based at Hethel in Norfolk, described the move as a restructure of its workforce" and said it would work to find new roles for workers where possible. It has not said where.

Lotus is owned by the Chinese car giant Geely, which took a majority stake in Lotus in May 2017, when it vowed to "unleash the full potential" of the marque, with the ambition to raise production to 10,000 cars a year.

Lotus Cars' most recent accounts, published on Friday, showed that the number of cars the company sold dropped from 1,566 in 2021 to just 576 in 2022.

A note in the accounts explained that the drop in sales was "limited in the second half of the year with the production challenges faced" by the supply chain the automotive sector.

The company lost £145.1m in the year to 31 December 2022, up from losses of £86.6m a year before.

A Lotus spokesman confirmed the job cut plans, and said: "Lotus Cars' proposal for a reorganisation of its business is to ensure that the right organisational structure is in place for us to achieve our business goals and to build a strong, sustainable future.

"This includes a restructure of its workforce, which may involve the loss of up to 200 jobs.

"Wherever possible, we will look to support the redeployment of staff and plan to look for ways to retain specific skills and knowledge within the business, despite the proposed cuts. We believe this is vital to ensuring the organisation is leaner and more competitive long-term."

The firm said it expected 2023 to be a "record year for vehicle production".

The spokesman added: "Our shareholders have made a clear commitment that the UK, having invested over £500m into Lotus Cars’ UK R&D [research and development] and operations and created many new jobs at our new London headquarters, as well as in Norfolk, and this shows the long-term commitment to the brand in the UK."

Where the cuts occur will be very telling. If they occur in manufacturing, then it will be very concerning as the only way to increase sales is to actually produce more vehicles. If, they occur in engineering and development, then it may be a sign that those functions are going to China or being outsourced.

If they occur in communications and marketing, no one will probably notice.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Because they had expected to deliver many more cars in 2022, but supply chain delayed and disrupted 2022. My NA allocation was originally supposed to deliver November 2022 and I'm at the end of the FE1 batch. So that's 700 cars on top of the 576 delivered, putting them much closer to 2021 numbers (and increased UK/EU deliveries would have easily surpassed).

EMIRADILEMMA

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

They could be counting deposits as sales, otherwise I find it hard to believe they "sold" (delivered) 1500+ cars in 2021.
If so, it doesn't surprise me that the number of new deposits fell so drastically in 2022. Most serious buyer/depositors would have done so in 2021. As for 2022, it would have been hard to reach out to new customers without a physical product to see, feel or drive.

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Must be marketing and customer service jobs? They need staff to build the cars to sell... unless they stop taking Emira orders, close the book, and stretch out / delay the builds to match output. It seems unlikely though.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Where the cuts occur will be very telling. If they occur in manufacturing, then it will be very concerning as the only way to increase sales is to actually produce more vehicles. If, they occur in engineering and development, then it may be a sign that those functions are going to China or being outsourced.

If they occur in communications and marketing, no one will probably notice.
ICE engine and exhaust related Engineering / Development teams would be a candidate for streamlining that is not going to China or outsourced. Dunno how many headcount they have there though.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
"A spokesperson confirmed to TopGear.com that engineering and admin roles are among those at risk, but production jobs won't be targeted."

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This just confirms what we all know, Lotus is struggling. This news along with posts in other threads makes me now start to consider that being an August 2021 North American deposit holder who is slated for a BASE that I may be looking at 2026 for delivery. I am just anxious to know whether or not I will actually get my own spec'd car at this point.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I wonder how Lotus' sales is to date for 2023. I guess it can't be too hot if they are cutting labor costs despite production ramping up. Maybe they are using this as an excuse to cut engineering folks that they don't see being needed down the road since things are going to switch to electric and the ICE folks are going the way of COBOL programmers.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The reports suggest it’s not production staff. They need to get cars built and sold to get the sales numbers up. I suspect it’ll be supporting functions and some of the middle tier they’ve added over the last 2-4 years.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The reports suggest it’s not production staff. They need to get cars built and sold to get the sales numbers up. I suspect it’ll be supporting functions and some of the middle tier they’ve added over the last 2-4 years.
Banner-waving aerial artists?
The NFT admin. staff?