Lotus Emira Track Experience

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Great review! Looks like you had a great time, and have a stronger stomach than other member here... haha

Nimbus looks amazing, and I think I have switched over from DV.... Are you doing black pack on Nimbus?
Lots of nimbus pics on one of my insta accounts to help you make your mind up, I've gone black pack, personally think the car was designed with it in mind around the roofline.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I tried going online to the Lotus Driver's experience website to book a slot to visit Hethel, I keep getting a website error? (lotus "made a wrong turn" page) How did everybody book a time slot for the Driving experience with the Emira?

Anyone have their email the driving experience centre?

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I tried going online to the Lotus Driver's experience website to book a slot to visit Hethel, I keep getting a website error? (lotus "made a wrong turn" page) How did everybody book a time slot for the Driving experience with the Emira?

Anyone have their email the driving experience centre?
through the website, but you can email them and they will respond quite quickly also......

virtualmacho

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I tried going online to the Lotus Driver's experience website to book a slot to visit Hethel, I keep getting a website error? (lotus "made a wrong turn" page)
Try editing the URL in your browser to show "en-GB" instead of "en-US". Looks like only the British website will let you book.

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Gentleman and ladies. @Next Decade and I truly had a unique experience. We're going to collaborate offline and put it all together. Then post it publicly. We have to be very careful given that we saw so much that we can't disclose and I want to be respectful of the company, especially given that there is some emerging collaboration at a higher level with us.

For now, I will give my impressions on a very high level and then we'll drill down into the details together later. We have extraordinary details that I have not read on the forums yet.

First off, having now driven the car hard at Hethel in a late stage sports suspension manual V6 first edition prototype I can say without a doubt that it drives significantly differently than the Evora GT. The front end is both more planted as well as responsive and stable at the limit, it is tuned brilliantly and more smoothly driving than Evora GT. The engine feels very similarly powerful to the Evora GT, but you run out of revs a little faster and I did find myself bouncing off the red line at least two or three times on the main straight. Annoying.

Suspension in sport does not feel overly stiff, but the body itself is extremely stiff as far as torsional rigidity is concerned. There is a slight amount of body roll but for the most part it is very flat in transitional stability and steady state cornering. You do feel a slight bit of weight transfer that as people have said before is more communicative rather than destabilizing and contributes to confident driving not unconfidence.

Transitional stability in the chicane is extremely impressive. Car wants to rotate nicely and you can be very aggressive with initial turn in and then again applying throttle leaning on the LSD to rocket out. I consistently turned in too early until I adjusted to how fast the rack is and how willing the nose wants to turn. You can trail brake to get the rear to come around easily and predictably. The back end is always totally planted. Neutral to slight understeer at corner exit depending on how exuberant you are. Not really set up as oversteer type of car compared to my M2CS.

Hard threshold breaking in a straight line is a non-issue. Totally undramatic and very stable without any fade whatsoever though with a very familiar smell of hot brake pads by the end of the session. Excellent brake feel and modulation. Not soft and squishy on mine.

The shifter is very short, shifting, positive, notchy and while not by any means, perfect is better than the Evora GT in my opinion. I did mis-shift at least twice in part because I'm used to left hand drive cars and this was a right hand drive one. However, it was into third from 4th which has been a pain point for some people.

Steering is glorious. So much better than any EPAS system that I have driven yet still responsive and quick ratio. Not super sticky on center, totally predictable and not like progressive ratio systems that I don't trust and are hard to predict.

Interior is night and day better. Kef audio is at the level of a better Bose system on cursory use but not Mark Levinson, Bang and Olufsen level.

Paint quality and the production versions are excellent, fit and finish, panel gaps, the thunk of doors closing is significantly improved on production versions compared to the prototypes on the track. Very much a noticeable difference for all of the above.

I will post seperately about GT4 and Evija which we also so being flogged though I can't share pics. Inspiring.

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I know there has been a flurry of activity lately with test drives, but I thought I would add my experience today at the Lotus Driving Academy for anyone out there still hungry for content. I am in London from the USA for business and took a day to train out to Hethel for the afternoon "Taste of Lotus" session. Since I had yet to even see the Emira in person I figured it would be worth the effort. I also wanted a chance to experience the car closer to its full potential in its "natural habitat". Full disclosure - I am not an experienced driver of high performance cars and have never done a track day, so I cannot provide the depth and sophistication of review that others here have shared. Consider this the perspective of a "regular" driver and someone new to Lotus cars.

I will try to avoid duplicating things that others have already reported multiple times, but I just can't avoid repeating just how stunning this car is in the flesh. It is low, wide and gorgeous, yet it has this real sense of fun and excitement about it. I'm not quite sure how to put it into words, but it combines the presence of a supercar while being somehow less intimidating and more "approachable". It is less about dropping your jaw and more about putting a grin on your face that you just can't wipe off. It looks amazing from every angle and the exterior proportions are simply perfect. It will bring joy to owners and onlookers alike.

Driving the Emira on the track was an absolute blast. To be clear - I was rather out of my element. Not only am I a novice at this type of thing, I also found myself driving on the "wrong" side of the car, shifting with my left hand and trying to remember that the mass of the vehicle was on my left, not on my right. I also have not driven a stick shift in quite a while. Even with all that, I found myself feeling immediately at home. The cabin felt classy and comfortable, yet simple and functional. At 6' 3" tall I had no problem at all getting in and out of the car and, once inside, I found the driving position to work very well for me - even with helmet on (I did have the seat in the lowest position). The view out the front is great with nothing but road and the crest of the wheel arches visible. I thought both the steering wheel and shifter felt great. Shifting was fast and crisp - even with my awkward left hand coordination.

I personally found the power to be right in the sweet spot. It seemed perfectly balanced with the handling and braking and was exhilerating without being terrifying. It was always eager to thrust you forward at all ranges of the rev band and really seemed to amplify the sense of the driver being in control. I drove a Tesla that mashed me into the seat on takeoff, but I got the sense that it was taking me for a drive instead of the other way around. With the Lotus there is never any question about the link between human and machine and who is in control.

It goes without saying that the handling is epic. The car is absolutely planted and it inspires so much confidence. I popped the rear end out a bit by hitting it a bit too hard coming out of the hairpin turn, but it immediately realigned and shot me down the straightaway as I glanced at the instructor looking for disapproval. As others have said, the brakes are exceptional. The way this car maintains complete composure under really hard braking is something I found really impressive. The gearing was perfect to me - short enough to provide some real entertainment running up through the gears, but with enough range (and torque) for me to focus on my driving line through various parts of the track without the distraction of a lot of up/down shifting. And lastly - oh, what a glorious sound that engine makes. I could have spent all day just listening to the cars going around that track.

I also must comment on the quality of the staff and the fun, engaging experience they provided. The instructors really push you to develop your skills and to explore your limits (it is clear we don't even come close to the car's limits). I learned a lot about vehicle dynamics and how to exploit the potential of a high performance car - and had a great time doing it. Everyone was very friendly and I even had the chance to speak with Scott Walker, who stopped by with his daughters to talk to some of the attendees. It's clear that Lotus is a company of car enthusiasts, for car enthusiasts. Even the cab driver who brought me back to the train station was a Lotus alumni - he worked on body panel painting and fitting for the Esprit!

Unfortunately, I can't really give you any useful information on the day-to-day details of the car - stereo, infotainment, controls, etc. I was to busy trying my best to not dishonor this amazing machine with my limited track skills! I did note, however, that this seems like a car you could spend a lot of happy hours in. I suspect the Emira will become a very good friend to any driver fortunate enough to come into posession of one.

In closing, if you ever get the chance to do a day at the Lotus Driving Academy I highly recommend giving it a go. The only down-side for me is the fact that I probably need to wait another year before I will get my hands on my own version of this amazing machine again. At least next time I won't have leave it behind at the end of the day!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I know there has been a flurry of activity lately with test drives, but I thought I would add my experience today at the Lotus Driving Academy for anyone out there still hungry for content. I am in London from the USA for business and took a day to train out to Hethel for the afternoon "Taste of Lotus" session. Since I had yet to even see the Emira in person I figured it would be worth the effort. I also wanted a chance to experience the car closer to its full potential in its "natural habitat". Full disclosure - I am not an experienced driver of high performance cars and have never done a track day, so I cannot provide the depth and sophistication of review that others here have shared. Consider this the perspective of a "regular" driver and someone new to Lotus cars.

I will try to avoid duplicating things that others have already reported multiple times, but I just can't avoid repeating just how stunning this car is in the flesh. It is low, wide and gorgeous, yet it has this real sense of fun and excitement about it. I'm not quite sure how to put it into words, but it combines the presence of a supercar while being somehow less intimidating and more "approachable". It is less about dropping your jaw and more about putting a grin on your face that you just can't wipe off. It looks amazing from every angle and the exterior proportions are simply perfect. It will bring joy to owners and onlookers alike.

Driving the Emira on the track was an absolute blast. To be clear - I was rather out of my element. Not only am I a novice at this type of thing, I also found myself driving on the "wrong" side of the car, shifting with my left hand and trying to remember that the mass of the vehicle was on my left, not on my right. I also have not driven a stick shift in quite a while. Even with all that, I found myself feeling immediately at home. The cabin felt classy and comfortable, yet simple and functional. At 6' 3" tall I had no problem at all getting in and out of the car and, once inside, I found the driving position to work very well for me - even with helmet on (I did have the seat in the lowest position). The view out the front is great with nothing but road and the crest of the wheel arches visible. I thought both the steering wheel and shifter felt great. Shifting was fast and crisp - even with my awkward left hand coordination.

I personally found the power to be right in the sweet spot. It seemed perfectly balanced with the handling and braking and was exhilerating without being terrifying. It was always eager to thrust you forward at all ranges of the rev band and really seemed to amplify the sense of the driver being in control. I drove a Tesla that mashed me into the seat on takeoff, but I got the sense that it was taking me for a drive instead of the other way around. With the Lotus there is never any question about the link between human and machine and who is in control.

It goes without saying that the handling is epic. The car is absolutely planted and it inspires so much confidence. I popped the rear end out a bit by hitting it a bit too hard coming out of the hairpin turn, but it immediately realigned and shot me down the straightaway as I glanced at the instructor looking for disapproval. As others have said, the brakes are exceptional. The way this car maintains complete composure under really hard braking is something I found really impressive. The gearing was perfect to me - short enough to provide some real entertainment running up through the gears, but with enough range (and torque) for me to focus on my driving line through various parts of the track without the distraction of a lot of up/down shifting. And lastly - oh, what a glorious sound that engine makes. I could have spent all day just listening to the cars going around that track.

I also must comment on the quality of the staff and the fun, engaging experience they provided. The instructors really push you to develop your skills and to explore your limits (it is clear we don't even come close to the car's limits). I learned a lot about vehicle dynamics and how to exploit the potential of a high performance car - and had a great time doing it. Everyone was very friendly and I even had the chance to speak with Scott Walker, who stopped by with his daughters to talk to some of the attendees. It's clear that Lotus is a company of car enthusiasts, for car enthusiasts. Even the cab driver who brought me back to the train station was a Lotus alumni - he worked on body panel painting and fitting for the Esprit!

Unfortunately, I can't really give you any useful information on the day-to-day details of the car - stereo, infotainment, controls, etc. I was to busy trying my best to not dishonor this amazing machine with my limited track skills! I did note, however, that this seems like a car you could spend a lot of happy hours in. I suspect the Emira will become a very good friend to any driver fortunate enough to come into posession of one.

In closing, if you ever get the chance to do a day at the Lotus Driving Academy I highly recommend giving it a go. The only down-side for me is the fact that I probably need to wait another year before I will get my hands on my own version of this amazing machine again. At least next time I won't have leave it behind at the end of the day!
Great write up. Always fascinating to read the impressions of someone new to Lotus.

So now you understand why we are Lotus enthusiasts…!

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Nailed it.. you were driving the car, you weren't along for the ride. The meld between man and machine was there for me. Great write up!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Excellent! Sorry if I missed it, but did you drive a sport and tour chassis Emira on the track?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

Excellent write-up! So very nice to read something positive and complimentary about the people at Lotus. It's good to see their morale is holding up despite all the difficulties and challenges they've been going through.

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Excellent! Sorry if I missed it, but did you drive a sport and tour chassis Emira on the track?
Apologies for the rookie mistake, but I didn't even think to ask which suspension setup I drove. I was in the first group out and it was a bit of a blur getting situated and oriented with the instructor and the right-hand drive setup and I didn't even think to ask about suspension. I was in the Seneca Blue car for both 15-minute outings and I *thought* I noticed the Michelin Cup 2 tires on it, suggesting it was the sport chassis, but I could very well be recalling one of the other cars. All I know is it drove beautifully on the track. Sorry I'm not able to provide more detail on this.

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Apologies for the rookie mistake, but I didn't even think to ask which suspension setup I drove. I was in the first group out and it was a bit of a blur getting situated and oriented with the instructor and the right-hand drive setup and I didn't even think to ask about suspension. I was in the Seneca Blue car for both 15-minute outings and I *thought* I noticed the Michelin Cup 2 tires on it, suggesting it was the sport chassis, but I could very well be recalling one of the other cars. All I know is it drove beautifully on the track. Sorry I'm not able to provide more detail on this.
The Seneca Blue car is or at least was Sport a few weeks ago, so I would be pretty sure you were in the Sport version.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

At the academy, the Seneca and Verdant cars are sport suspension with Cup 2, and the Nimbus and Yellow cars are touring on Goodyears

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Excellent write-up! So very nice to read something positive and complimentary about the people at Lotus. It's good to see their morale is holding up despite all the difficulties and challenges they've been going through.
Yes, Scott made a point of saying that everyone at Lotus is just as anxious as we are about getting these cars down the production line and into customer's hands as soon as possible. I get the sense that, when it comes to comms, there is a bit of "damned if you do and damned if you don't" about sharing updates on the roller-coaster ride that has been the automotive supply chain. Anything that is shared can be contradicted by another change within hours or days after it comes out. The only constant in the process has been unexpected change and I suspect they may have simply concluded that actions speak louder than words and they should just focus on building the cars they can, when they can. They are aware of the optics of cars being delivered outside the UK, but my guess is they are trying to take their lumps and grunt through the next few weeks until they do start showing up here and this little slip-up fades into the rear-view.

My bit of unsolicited feedback to Scott was that they really did miss an opportunity to take their customers on a journey with them through this process, with regular emails/posts telling a story of bringing this car to market. It may have been more like the 'The Lord of the Rings' than 'Winnie the Pooh', with moments when it seems the forces of evil will prevail, but it would have been entertaining and could have kept us all occupied along the way. They could have shared really interesting tidbits about the car, its development, connections to Lotus heritage, vision for the future, etc. without ever having to get into specifics of delivery timelines or setting (and repeatedly resetting) customer expectations. Scott actualy agreed and said it would have allowed for Lotus' natural creativity to shine through, but alas here we are. I did also tell Scott that, in my opinion, once the general public in the USA sees the Emira on the road they are going to go crazy and Lotus will have more orders than they know what to do with.

Scott also shared that the management team there, all the way up to Matt, is deeply engaged and committed to the success of this product and Lotus overall. He referenced Matt responding to emails and being on-site from the early morning into the late hours of the night and that this was no "9 to 5" operation.

I know that a key element of the go-forward plan for Lotus is to expand beyond the niche they have occupied, with its small, fanatical customer base, and appeal to the broader luxury sports car and SUV market. However, I really think that Lotus can and should really leverage their unique character and legacy as a small, unique automotive manufacturer to create a broader "culture" of Lotus ownership, where owners new and old feel they are part of a special family and not just buying a car. This is how truly successul Direct To Consumer brands do it - deep customer engagement and brand loyalty as a result of connection, communication, emotion and alignment.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yes, Scott made a point of saying that everyone at Lotus is just as anxious as we are about getting these cars down the production line and into customer's hands as soon as possible. I get the sense that, when it comes to comms, there is a bit of "damned if you do and damned if you don't" about sharing updates on the roller-coaster ride that has been the automotive supply chain. Anything that is shared can be contradicted by another change within hours or days after it comes out. The only constant in the process has been unexpected change and I suspect they may have simply concluded that actions speak louder than words and they should just focus on building the cars they can, when they can. They are aware of the optics of cars being delivered outside the UK, but my guess is they are trying to take their lumps and grunt through the next few weeks until they do start showing up here and this little slip-up fades into the rear-view.

My bit of unsolicited feedback to Scott was that they really did miss an opportunity to take their customers on a journey with them through this process, with regular emails/posts telling a story of bringing this car to market. It may have been more like the 'The Lord of the Rings' than 'Winnie the Pooh', with moments when it seems the forces of evil will prevail, but it would have been entertaining and could have kept us all occupied along the way. They could have shared really interesting tidbits about the car, its development, connections to Lotus heritage, vision for the future, etc. without ever having to get into specifics of delivery timelines or setting (and repeatedly resetting) customer expectations. Scott actualy agreed and said it would have allowed for Lotus' natural creativity to shine through, but alas here we are. I did also tell Scott that, in my opinion, once the general public in the USA sees the Emira on the road they are going to go crazy and Lotus will have more orders than they know what to do with.

Scott also shared that the management team there, all the way up to Matt, is deeply engaged and committed to the success of this product and Lotus overall. He referenced Matt responding to emails and being on-site from the early morning into the late hours of the night and that this was no "9 to 5" operation.

I know that a key element of the go-forward plan for Lotus is to expand beyond the niche they have occupied, with its small, fanatical customer base, and appeal to the broader luxury sports car and SUV market. However, I really think that Lotus can and should really leverage their unique character and legacy as a small, unique automotive manufacturer to create a broader "culture" of Lotus ownership, where owners new and old feel they are part of a special family and not just buying a car. This is how truly successul Direct To Consumer brands do it - deep customer engagement and brand loyalty as a result of connection, communication, emotion and alignment.
Yeah, they know, and your assessment is pretty much what I've suspected to be the position they've taken. It's easy for us to say what they should have or should be doing, and how easy it should be, but we're not in their shoes. Getting cars built and delivered is the best thing they can do at the moment, but once that spigot starts to flow, they really do need to up their game on the customer service/interaction side of things.

The car is a winner, and I'm really glad to see that as it means they have a future.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Spot on. And of course they all want to get the cars out. Scott agrees they should have tackled the comms better - he agreed that back in December too and got a bunch of us to Hethel in January to say that face to face to a bunch of senior Lotus people. Many people have made the suggestions you've made about about how they should have handled it, and have also made the same suggestions about creating deeper customer engagement amongst owners.

I think it's clear they don't see any of that as a priority. Not because "everyone is busy getting the cars out" - the comms, PR, marketing and customer care people are not busy building cars. They've got time to continue with Eletre campaigns. And run a programme to remove "For The Drivers" from all the dealers and marketing materials. I think all this speaks volumes about their priorities.

The car is great, as are all the people involved in developing and building it. Such a shame that it (and they) are let down by the other elements.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Considering that their entire future is committed to going electric, the Emira is almost a distraction at this point. I don't think they expected to be spending this much time and resources on it. Everything Geely is focused on is electric, so I would expect everything else including comms, advertising, etc. to be focused on that too. We'll see if everything some have wanted starts to appear for the electric cars. Obviously the sales success of the Emira hasn't needed it, even though it would have been fun to have it.