Lotus Emira Track Experience

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Evora were also running Cup2, amazing grip. There was a slalom for 1 section and it was shocking how the car could switch direction and not a squeak from the tyres. I was basically not expecting it to clear the cones as I accelerated through the slalom but it just held it and cleared all the cones with no fuss. Could really lean on the grip, but could feel the front wash out a touch when coming in too hot on the tight bends (but still get round and accelerate out with some additional steering input). To me there was a surplus of grip/handling and the power was enough to have fun but not too much to be scary or overwhelm the poise. The auto (when left to pick gears itself) held it back for me. Manual mode would’ve helped I’m sure but we didn’t have a lot of time and I was already fully occupied keeping it on the track.

Was going in a bit too hot on some of the the tight curves and it just gripped. 2 different instructors told me several times to slow down, so I guess I was moving along ;) The car definitely gives a lot of confidence. Brakes are strong too.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
On my track day, the cup tyres were indeed the only way to recognise the difference between sport or touring, so I would not be at all amazed to learn the lotus guys there perhaps had it wrong, but we do see at least one of the vast number of yellow china cars there
The guy was a pretty senior organiser of the track experience and seemed pretty sure about the Emira being touring. They are Pre Production cars.

These cars are only used on track and many drivers are not the most skilled, so I guess they want to give them the most grip possible to keep them on track.

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The guy was a pretty senior organiser of the track experience and seemed pretty sure about the Emira being touring. They are Pre Production cars.

These cars are only used on track and many drivers are not the most skilled, so I guess they want to give them the most grip possible to keep them on track.
could be, but 99% of us would not notice the difference between Touring and Sports anyway *quoting a professional driver and the other 4 at my day.... maybe the only cars that arrived or were available....

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
could be, but 99% of us would not notice the difference between Touring and Sports anyway *quoting a professional driver and the other 4 at my day.... maybe the only cars that arrived or were available....
Also in Harry's video I think he mentioned that the Touring springs were much thicker (larger) than sport? I need to go back and re-watch that part of the video. He did compare them side by side.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not saying I’d notice it either, just repeating what I was told when I asked regards the setup.

The Emira was the first car I drove, then after I got 3 stints in the Evora. Was feeling more confident as the day went on.

Not sure what the Evora GT410 setup is equivalent to. It’s hard to gauge suspension firmness on a smooth track.

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Not saying I’d notice it either, just repeating what I was told when I asked regards the setup.

The Emira was the first car I drove, then after I got 3 stints in the Evora. Was feeling more confident as the day went on.
yes sure...
did you get back in an emira after an evora?

did you find it a bit louder? rawer.... bit nippier?

its hard in reality to compare I think...unless its night and day or you are an expert.. which Im far from.

I had a good go in sports and touring and on a track.... the only difference was the gear box... and thats the worry, they are still hit and miss

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Also in Harry's video I think he mentioned that the Touring springs were much thicker (larger) than sport? I need to go back and re-watch that part of the video. He did compare them side by side.
yes, but he was not on a track.... on a bumpy road I am sure old harry's 70 yr old bones notice, but on a track, my young 30 yr old fantastically in form figure didnt notice

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
yes, but he was not on a track.... on a bumpy road I am sure old harry's 70 yr old bones notice, but on a track, my young 30 yr old fantastically in form figure didnt notice
Not the test drive Video, the factory tour one that he just released. He held the springs side by side and noted that the touring springs were in fact thicker / larger / heavier in some way. More robust maybe?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not the test drive Video, the factory tour one that he just released. He held the springs side by side and noted that the touring springs were in fact thicker / larger / heavier in some way. More robust maybe?
Those were the sport springs. More coils, possibly a bit less travel and slightly firmer than touring. (+5Nm/mm)

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Those were the sport springs. More coils, possibly a bit less travel and slightly firmer than touring. (+5Nm/mm)
ahh yes... for sure here is a difference, I just think on a track you wont notice... or at least I didnt and the pro driver was quite adamant that the difference is minimal for grip etc, even with the tyres...

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
yes sure...
did you get back in an emira after an evora?

did you find it a bit louder? rawer.... bit nippier?

its hard in reality to compare I think...unless its night and day or you are an expert.. which Im far from.

I had a good go in sports and touring and on a track.... the only difference was the gear box... and thats the worry, they are still hit and miss
The Evora was a little rawer in the sound department but not hugely so (Emira is PP and was hardly what I’d describe as muffled). The cars sounded great screaming down the main straight. Maybe not Ferrari NA great, but still great to my ears.

Unfortunately I didn’t go back to the Emira after the Evora. The lazy gearbox on the Emira was the only issue I had with it. We would follow a lead car and they would go in slow to this bend onto the main straight. Car would be in 3rd and it wouldn’t drop down to 2nd in the bend, so left it feeling a bit underwhelming. That V6 needs revs.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You won’t notice the difference in spring rate, you will notice the difference in damper valving for the Sport version — that’s the key difference.

It makes sense to run cup 2s on everything for a track experience regardless of the suspension setup. Any sort of street biased tire is going to chunk very quickly under heat and load.

Reactions: ADC

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
As we’ve deduced from other bits of info the difference in the sport suspension is just ever so slightly stiffer spring rates, yes they have thicker coils and a shorter overall spring but same or similar ride height.

The other aspect is the damping, likely they’ve added a much more aggressive digressive damping curve. This means that the damping ramps up much more aggressively at low piston speeds. You would feel this upon car turn-in — the car’s handling will feel a lot sharper. Likely the high speed damping is just a little bit more aggressive to match springs.

We’ve had no indication that anti rollbars or suspension mounts are any stiffer.

We do know however there are different alignment settings based on tires that come with your car — and this makes sense, the cup2s want more camber and are designed that way. Likely all alignment settings are achievable through the oem adjustability.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
ahh yes... for sure here is a difference, I just think on a track you wont notice... or at least I didnt and the pro driver was quite adamant that the difference is minimal for grip etc, even with the tyres...
Agreed, when you take bumps out of the equation (smooth track surface) it’s hard to tell the difference between the sport and tour setup I’d say. There is a little lean in the bends but not much. The grip and composure were the standouts for me. The Emira Looks amazing and has enough power to be fun. The AMG with DCT should be sweet. Personally I’d like a bit more torque (and a bit earlier in the rev range) and a more modern gearbox that kept the engine in the sweet spot would be a nice combo for me.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As we’ve deduced from other bits of info the difference in the sport suspension is just ever so slightly stiffer spring rates, yes they have thicker coils and a shorter overall spring but same or similar ride height.

The other aspect is the damping, likely they’ve added a much more aggressive digressive damping curve. This means that the damping ramps up much more aggressively at low piston speeds. You would feel this upon car turn-in — the car’s handling will feel a lot sharper. Likely the high speed damping is just a little bit more aggressive to match springs.

We’ve had no indication that anti rollbars or suspension mounts are any stiffer.

We do know however there are different alignment settings based on tires that come with your car — and this makes sense, the cup2s want more camber and are designed that way. Likely all alignment settings are achievable through the oem adjustability.
The spring profile looks so different between the sport and touring in Harry’s video. My guess is that the 5% difference in spring rate they state is only part of the story.

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
COLOURS
briefly as this is completely personal, but I did a few photos and videos with respect to this.
As before, there was the blue, yellow, nimbus grey, regular grey and green cars there, no magma red.
The green car was dirty by the time I video'd it, sorry.
My feelings, for what they are worth.... The green hides the lines of the car. You don't know its green 90% of the time in 90% of the light; it could be green, grey, black or any dark colour from even the slightest distance, but maybe you guys like the mystery.
Also 1 in 12 men are green colour blind, so this is something to bear in mind. I know people that have seen and love the colour, I am not one of them. I think the Emira's lines are its stand out feature and why dull them down... but each to their own.
The Nimbus looks good in photos and does not look bad in person, but I was not unhappy I didnt take someones advice to order it. I would not be unhappy with that colour, its very unusual and brave, but also its cool, a champagne colour for the ages and I don't think it will get old.
The yellow is yellow, a great colour, but not easy to sell and its not going to suit everyone, but yes looks good.
The blue for me is the standout colour, but yes perhaps a bit too shouty for some. Look at me I have a Lotus, but the thing is, I do (will/hope to) have a lotus and I dont mind people knowing it. It punches out and it was also the cleanest car there....maybe it repels the dirt and water more.. haha

The grey, regular grey looks very ordinary, but I think when its polished and with black wheels, it can also look good.
Ive not seen Magma red in person, but I dont care if people say "is that a ferrari", their problem, not one for me...
I took videos too, of colours, but too large.. i will try and remedy them later
Thanks for the pics. You've verified I have made the right decision in NOT going DV..:)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

It's at 5:55 in the video and although they look thicker the difference is only 110 vs 115 N/mm. Spring rate is only part of the equation and the damper setup, bushing, anti-roll bar and geo are all factors too.

Not sure what the Evora GT410 setup is equivalent to. It’s hard to gauge suspension firmness on a smooth track.

Evora GT410 suspension setup is equivalent to Emira Sports suspension setup.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The spring profile looks so different between the sport and touring in Harry’s video. My guess is that the 5% difference in spring rate they state is only part of the story.

Like I said, damping makes the entire difference.

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So… does anyone else have any track experiences with the Emira that will get this thread, um, back on track? There were at least 12-15 people at LDA just for the afternoon session this past Friday - and the calendar has been pretty well booked up. Surely someone else has some tidbits they would like to share? I was so boggled just to see the Emira in person and attempt a few novice laps that I could hardly provide an objective report.
Look up my prior posts. I have some nice tidbits in there.

This version (FE) is perfect for the road, and in Sport suspension excellent on the track but still forgiving. More track focused variants will be badass anda future DCT i4 performance variant will be GT4 fast eventually.

My M2CS is definitely faster than the Emira in it's current guise. But the Emira feels more visceral and is better balanced with lower center of gravity than the M2CS on track, and easier to drive.

Steering is epically good on Emira and will only get better once they get Ohlins TTX/R&T and lighter smaller wheels on there.

Last edited:

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Like I said, damping makes the entire difference.
Yes of course, the damping is going to be the significant difference between the sport and touring. Just making the point that I think there is more going on than just a 5% difference in spring rate only between sport and tour springs. My guess is that the minimum length of the sport spring is greater. Maybe the sport is non linear too, having a higher spring rate as they compress, whereas maybe the tour maintain the same spring rate for a larger range of motion.