Lotus Driving Experience Cancelled

OP
M

Mike

Reaction score
I am booked morning session on the 23rd July, not cancelled yet! Fingers crossed
If your event date is delivered, I would definitely advise you have a go at the lottery that day as your luck will be at supremo level.

Reactions: JXJ

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ok, 1-2 months before things really starting to happen…and nothing is clear of can be confirmed. People having booked flights, made plans…to leave them empty handed and dissapointed…etc etc etc…

Read between the lines and it signals one big theme…Lotus have BIG F&$king problems at the moment! More that we think; Chinese ownership, supply chain, homologation, staff to produce the cars, lack of parts! I don’t think they themselves have a plan yet how to get out of this mess!

To be honest…I don’t really care myself when my car gets delivered, either Oct/Nov 2022 or April 2023. I believe it will be worth the wait as the car comes out fantastic, and I won’t let any problem that I can’t control myself spoil the excitement and wait for the car. Sometimes you need to take one step back to move 2 steps forwards… as in accepting headwind and disappointment and not always getting what you deserve or have a right for. It creates a much happier life…

For me there’s more (than) cars….my Caterham or GT3, my friends and family and spending time on diners, bbq’s, drinks…to work more and earn extra cash, to go supping, windfoiling, windsurfing when the wind is out or our snowboards when the first snow drizzles down in the alps…or get on with the misses instead of driving the Emira ;-)… It doesn’t sound like a to bad life to me!

Anyway…my 2 cents…from a still happy future Emira owner.

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think once the parts they need arrive things will start moving along nicely. i don’t think all the staff would be as optimistic as they are if there were bigger issues we don’t know about. I’m optimistic… and hungry (but that’s unrelated)

OP
M

Mike

Reaction score
Had confirmation from Stewart at the academy that 23rd July is still planned to run, see you there 👍
I hope you have a great time at the event. I've cancelled the places for myself and my staff team as I simply didn't believe them when they said the cars would be ready and I'm not prepared to let my staff down again or lose money on flights, car hire and hotels for a second time.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me."

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Had confirmation from Stewart at the academy that 23rd July is still planned to run, see you there 👍
I changed my dates from 29th to August, just in case. I hope you do get to do it, but I just wouldn't rely on Stewart's word though, rely on the God's... not the driving gods either.. hah

OP
M

Mike

Reaction score
I changed my dates from 29th to August, just in case. I hope you do get to do it, but I just wouldn't rely on Stewart's word though, rely on the God's... not the driving gods either.. hah
I think August is a much more realistic date for the cars to be ready.

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
At least my hotel accommodation knows why I am booked in, they probably will know whether it's on or not before me ;)

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
It's on! Hannah and Stewart have confirmed the Taste of Lotus is going ahead on Saturday 23rd July, I feel privileged to be on one of the first events, they even have a car with my specification to try 😄
great news..some good news at last!.... what is ur spec? u can probably take photos before, but not during...
i put mine back as thought there was little hope in july, so u have done well!

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It's on! Hannah and Stewart have confirmed the Taste of Lotus is going ahead on Saturday 23rd July, I feel privileged to be on one of the first events, they even have a car with my specification to try 😄
Fingers crossed for you. Production cars? All V6?
Have a blast!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Apparently production cars, my request was a V6 manual with touring suspension, they have that speciation available
Alright! Now it looks like we're starting to get somewhere. Your report is going to be highly anticipated!

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been informed 4 sports suspension and 1 touring so I'd make it known you want to drive the touring before you get there so you can allocated that car.

I asked if I could drive sports/touring back to back and they said they would try but it may revolve around getting someone else to swap from another group.

I'm due to be there 3rd August.

Have a great time.

I'm beginning to get excited. So hopeful it'll seal the deal for me. Deposit went in October. But obviously I have expectations of the car which it needs to hit to carry on!

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Alright! Now it looks like we're starting to get somewhere. Your report is going to be highly anticipated!
The Taste of Lotus on the 23rd July was a well organised event at the Lotus driving academy, for many of us present it was the first opportunity to see some of the colours and certainly to experience driving Emira.

The academy currently has five cars on their fleet, one of each colour apart from Magma red. On Saturday only four were present, the grey car was away on GT safety car duties. The four cars in use were an equal mix of touring (yellow and nimbus) and sports suspension (dv and blue) with Goodyear tyres on the touring and Michelin Cup2 on the sporting, there was also a mix of leather and alcantara trim for comparison.

My first drive was in the yellow touring, settling into the comfortable leather seats, a good driving position was easy to obtain, even for someone of short stature (5'7") starting via the button on the centre console summons the beautiful purr of the V6, the clutch did not seem heavy at all, engaging first gear with a positive action, the parking brake releases automatically as we set off and we head onto the circuit.

It was immediately apparent that the touring suspension was compliant, it coped well with the uneven surface before we joined the track, no squeaks or rattles although wearing a crash helmet may have masked noise somewhat, once on the smooth surface of the circuit, building speed, the car came to life, agile, precise and composed despite my clumsy attempts to unsettle the suspension, the engine thrives on being exercised, the V6 purr turns to a howl as we accelerate into three figures, gear changes are precise and mechanical, the steering feedback and braking are superb and predictable, turn in is delightful and grip is fantastic even on the Goodyears.

Before long we are called in, trying to decipher the experience and is difficult with such a short session but the overall feeling is of satisfaction that the decision to purchase Emira is a good one and that touring would be a comfortable choice for a GT type car.

My second experience was in the dark verdant sporting suspension car with alcantara seat and steering wheel, not something I would specify although the extra grip from the material is obvious.

My guide Jack encouraged me to push the car further, again the time passed far too quickly, my efforts to "feel the car," to react to the instructions to balance the car and drive the circuit were dismal, we did explore the acceleration and extra grip of the Cup2 tyres, braking and cornering were both sublime, Jack tried hard to coax me into employing better track craft, but this 62 year old might be a little slower learning than his usual customers, he decided an extra lap was in order so one last banshee wail saw us heading towards 130mph before easing back to the academy, ecstatic with the experience and the car.

The Taste of Lotus is a great introduction to Emira, I would recommend it to all prospective buyers, it allows an opportunity to see, hear and drive the car, the engine sounds great but is not overly loud, a refined but purposeful sound which when allowed to rev out is a beautiful six cylinder wail and is addictive.
20220723_081053.jpg

Attachments

• 20220723_081134.jpg
    20220723_081134.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220723_081559.jpg
    20220723_081559.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220723_091825.jpg
    20220723_091825.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220723_094711.jpg