• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Let's talk about the Emira's seats...

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
So I assume that the Emira comes with roadside assist ......

And I assume that there will be an "extended warranty" service contract program offered also....

So Why not just have LOTUS offer a " Chiropractic Adjustment" service contract 3yr/36k miles program with every car ? That would cover back realignments from sitting in the EMIRA seats after long trips.

Are there enough Chiro's in the UK to have a service provider network ?

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Amazing how different reviews are. Almost polar opposites.
Hardly get two similar reviews in a row.

Seats - some like, some don't
Gears - some smooth and love it, some think it is baulky with dodgy elements

One cannot put all of this down to people being different.
Are we seeing a pattern?
Are some cars better finished, or just different., than others?

I do find it concerning. These are not really things you hear on other forums about other cars.

I didn't really notice any difference to the two Emiras I drove,. apart from the suspension difference between sports and touring but am thinking maybe they were not typical examples of that even.

Very interesting.
In my usual positive way, I don't mind any of this individual character so long as the car is like the one I drove at Hethel. Umm.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Seatgate!!

WTH is going on?
Either way, Lotus need to take note of this.
Seats was one of those things that was not close to being finalised when Tom and myself went to the factory, 11 months ago. We knew they were trying out different versions.

Should they have bitten the bullet and just gone for third part recaros or similar?
Something is not right if THIS many people are moaning about it - really bummed out :)

They will see all of this feedback. I doubt they will sit there and do nothing. Hopefully i4 owners may see a revision. It will, however, be an expensive job to change the seating again so that might be wishful thinking.

Selfishly speaking, I was fine!

Also, you will mostly only see the people who didn't get with seats mention it on a forum BUT there is a pattern here. That the feeling is strong enough to make people cancel, or push them over the edge, is worrying.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The seats I think are down to individual shape/size and personal preferences.

Last edited:

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
One cannot put all of this down to people being different.
I think you can absolutely put it down to this. This and the electron-microscope level of scrutiny that the car is under as each of us test-drive it :)

You come across as such a positive guy, and I think you're causing yourself more angst than necessary by overthinking every morsel of feedback... IMO, if it works for you, it's the right car to get. I do get the uncertainty around quality on the early builds, but that is kind of par for the course for being an early adopter. Keep your chin up and a smile on your face - next summer is going to be awesome :D

Well, for some at least... *mumble mumble where's my i4 mumble mumble*

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I am very happy! The Emira is a bonus and I like the seats - enough.
No other sports car manufacturer has this much amgst about their seats. Sports seats by definition are usually highly designed. It is a heavy super-adjustable seat. It really should be suiting everybody. That's the whole bloody point of an adjustable seat.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I am very happy! The Emira is a bonus and I like the seats - enough.
No other sports car manufacturer has this much amgst about their seats. Sports seats by definition are usually highly designed. It is a heavy super-adjustable seat. It really should be suiting everybody. That's the whole bloody point of an adjustable seat.
Fair point. For the record, there were aspects of the seat that bugged me too... I'm going to sit it one again after the New Year to see if I can truly set it up the way I'd really want.

Honestly, I'd probably still err on the side of getting a car I otherwise liked even with slightly duff seats, and replace the seats.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Seatgate!!

WTH is going on?
Either way, Lotus need to take note of this.
Seats was one of those things that was not close to being finalised when Tom and myself went to the factory, 11 months ago. We knew they were trying out different versions.

Should they have bitten the bullet and just gone for third part recaros or similar?
Something is not right if THIS many people are moaning about it - really bummed out :)

They will see all of this feedback. I doubt they will sit there and do nothing. Hopefully i4 owners may see a revision. It will, however, be an expensive job to change the seating again so that might be wishful thinking.

Selfishly speaking, I was fine!

Also, you will mostly only see the people who didn't get with seats mention it on a forum BUT there is a pattern here. That the feeling is strong enough to make people cancel, or push them over the edge, is worrying.
Harry said he too has trouble with the seats and I did on two test drives. I guess we are all different body shapes.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Harry said he too has trouble with the seats and I did on two test drives. I guess we are all different body shapes.
A continued partnership with Sparco would have been the ideal surely. And adds value.
The production seats have to be a cost consideration.
Just a shame they didn't offer a cost option on a more sporty Sparco or Recaro.
Sure it will come eventually mind.

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
A continued partnership with Sparco would have been the ideal surely. And adds value.
I had no problem with the Ricardos or Soarcos in the Evora SR or Evora400- though The 400 was a little higher. Back was great on many trips in Europe in the Alps and Scotland/Wales trips or tracking.

The JCT600 car after 30 minutes, had trouble with back ache. I drive daily a Volvo XC60 best seats ever. No Back issues at all.

So I think it maybe individual cars or as people are saying we are all different body shapes etc, but I would go with Evotion - they should be suitable for all with the electric adjustability. What is going on with them. All the bloody weight they are they should be perfect.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I had no problem with the Ricardos or Soarcos in the Evora SR or Evora400- though The 400 was a little higher. Back was great on many trips in Europe in the Alps and Scotland/Wales trips or tracking.

The JCT600 car after 30 minutes, had trouble with back ache. I drive daily a Volvo XC60 best seats ever. No Back issues at all.

So I think it maybe individual cars or as people are saying we are all different body shapes etc, but I would go with Evotion - they should be suitable for all with the electric adjustability. What is going on with them. All the bloody weight they are they should be perfect.
The base of the seat just felt hard, no matter adjustment and lumber. I’m keen to hear if Harry’s is more settled with the seats in his last review and offer me some hope.

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I had no problem with the Recaros and Sparcos in the Evora SR or Evora400- though The 400 was a little higher. Back was great on many trips in Europe in the Alps and Scotland/Wales trips or tracking.

So I think it maybe individual cars or as people are saying we are all different body shapes etc, but I would go with Evotion - they should be suitable for all with the electric adjustability. What is going on with them. All the bloody weight they are they should be perfect

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You’d have thought a new partnership with Lear, who supply Ferrari as well as airlines, would have resulted in a great seat. It seems fine for many people but problematic for quite a few.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
You’d have thought a new partnership with Lear, who supply Ferrari as well as airlines, would have resulted in a great seat. It seems fine for many people but problematic for quite a few.
Perhaps it isn’t a seat structure issue as such but how the seat has been created then on by Lotus, it only takes someone to put the foam in wrong on the seat for it to be uncomfortable for some..

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I fear a Geely intervention to make them less driver focussed and appeal more to the masses.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I remember reading somewhere, not sure where, that Lear produces the structure and Lotus used someone else for the foam. I don't remember the company for the foam, but this info is out there somewhere.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I fear a Geely intervention to make them less driver focussed and appeal more to the masses.
But that would have resulted in softer foam? It sounds like the foam is on the thin/firm side of things.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think the issue may be that they tried to lower the seating position purely by removing the foam from the seat base, rather than address the bigger issue

That actually makes sense. The Lear frame may have had technical requirements preventing it from being adjusted lower, or they were just too far gone in the design phase to change it without some tremendous cost. But the foam can be thinner…