• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Latest Car Magazine review — says it all

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
"The middling Sport setup is firm for the road" - uh, as far as I can tell, the change in mode does not affect the suspension at all, so describing it as "firm" makes no sense.
FWIW, my interpretation of this was that they were referring to the combination of the sport chassis with Goodyear tyres with this phrase.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I guess in some ways it's what you're used to. In some ways car reviewers can get a bit spoiled by the amount of cars they test, something they perceive as not good enough may be less of an issue for people not in the same position as them (though admittedly the Emira is of course going to attract people more on the driving enthusiast side of the spectrum)

My daily is a Jag XE with ZF auto, so not the quickest change using the paddles. My wife has an A35 which has the Merc DCT, but that also isn't lightning fast when manually changing the gears, but that doesn't stop me enjoying driving it. Yes the Emira will be a different beast but I'm not planning on tracking it and chasing lap times or pushing it to its absolute limits, as such the gearbox mentions in reviews so far haven't overly worried me (just hope I haven't been overdosing too much on copium...)

Biggles of Norwich

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
FWIW, my interpretation of this was that they were referring to the combination of the sport chassis with Goodyear tyres with this phrase.
Ah, OK I was interpreting "middling" as being the middle of Tour/Sport/Track modes. Lots of potential for confusion with the two chassis options and three modes to play with!

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I would be keen to test drive an i4 version to see how it compares with my V6 Auto. I have no issues whatsoever with the way the V6 Auto box works, in full auto mode it changes gears very quickly, in paddle shift mode it’s still pretty quick

It’s odd that lotus have set it the I4 gearbox up this way, there have been a few reviews that have commented on the gear changes

EM12A LS

Reaction score
The reviewers need to compare the I4 with the V6 Auto, I find the Auto is very engaging in sport mode, and even better when switched to manual its great fun, I'm not a test drivers but its more than engaging.

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
well, well, I read the German car magazines in german language as well and guess what version they mainly recommend...... the i4 AMG without talking down the V6 though.
From my point of view only an own test drive can decide which one you like better.
For the Germans, there is going to be a bias for the I4 unrelated to performance. Politics, taxes, etc.

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Interesting review - and reviewer. A might too "flowery" for me...he does like words! I'll be interested to compare it to my Alfa 4C with DCT. I did get to drive the V6 Automatic last week and it was plenty fun and engaging...especially in Track Mode!

Robbierob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The reviewers need to compare the I4 with the V6 Auto, I find the Auto is very engaging in sport mode, and even better when switched to manual its great fun, I'm not a test drivers but its more than engaging.
Thanks. We need comparisons between V6 auto vs. I4 auto, not the V6 manual! I love my V6 auto by the way, so much fun to drive…

Jdmc21

Reaction score
Why get the 4 when you can get the 6?......
Cuz I want a DCT not a torque converter. Also, the M139 is a torque monster. I’m rather bitter about it being detuned. Respect to the manual crowd, but that’s what I want on this car.

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
For the Germans, there is going to be a bias for the I4 unrelated to performance. Politics, taxes, etc.
Not sure if it always work that way? In Japan where I live (I am Norwegian, not Japanese) there is no tax advantage neither for the Japanese made V6 or the German made I4. (The price of the two versions are just a little over 5%) I believe that orders for V6 are several times that of orders for the I4. Personally I have ordered the I4. However I think the manual V6 3.5 liter supercharged car with (mostly) manual transmission fullfill the requirement for an “enthusiast car”. BTW I chose “the black one”; also called “verdant” with tan interior;-) I am curious to hear your thoughts about the i4 at a later time. In my case I had to order it untested, because no test vehicle has ever been available here in Tokyo as well.

(I enjoy your channel and your work - and I am already your ‘subscriber’)

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not sure if it always work that way? In Japan where I live (I am Norwegian, not Japanese) there is no tax advantage neither for the Japanese made V6 or the German made I4. (The price of the two versions are just a little over 5%) I believe that orders for V6 are several times that of orders for the I4. Personally I have ordered the I4. However I think the manual V6 3.5 liter supercharged car with (mostly) manual transmission fullfill the requirement for an “enthusiast car”. BTW I chose “the black one”; also called “verdant” with tan interior;-) I am curious to hear your thoughts about the i4 at a later time. In my case I had to order it untested, because no test vehicle has ever been available here in Tokyo as well.

(I enjoy your channel and your work - and I am already your ‘subscriber’)
Thanks for subscribing to my channel! Also, thanks for the info...it's always interesting to learn the differences around the world. I'm sure the I4 will be fabulous and I will enjoy comparing it to the V6 as well as my other 4 cylinder cars.