Just back from Type132 preview event

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi guys as I promised here I am to share my experience of the type132 preview event here in Shanghai. It’s pretty late already so I’ll be quite brief at this moment but I’ll happily answer any questions you guys have later.
In one word, “wow”.
It’s everything I had expected but dialed to 11. It’s awesome even a bit mad and excessive. Just throw out some numbers: 0-100(0-60 for miles) under 3 seconds. 800v electric motors ( similar to taycan) putting out 1000 horsepower. 4 LiDAR sensors all actively deployed (so they sit flush when not in use). Active aero front and back with some 110kg and 80kg downforce front&rear. Carbon and exotic materials everywhere even forged carbon on center console. 21 inch rims and even 23s in carbon being developed. Range is yet to be disclosed but “adequate”. You get the idea.
Look wise all I can say it’s the Lamborghini urus we never had. To me urus is a missed opportunity and type132 is every bit more impressive and shows how it should be done. Of course our phone cameras were disabled so no spy shot here. But they have some poster cards showing some detail and I’ll post here:
345DAA7B-EBE2-4CFF-A4E2-A1F494AD118A.jpeg
466461E1-8229-4929-8E23-DE8617E54870.jpeg
AF6C1A3C-7B84-4EA3-BCC0-57063E935DFF.jpeg
A7755709-98DF-4074-9609-FD055D8EFE7F.jpeg

Interior is similarly exciting with concept car like design and exotic materials plus some gimmicky night club lighting. It sits 4 or 5 depending on option and in 4 seats configuration even back seats are aggressive bucket seats looking stuff.
They say price wise it competes with electric cayennes coming in the future. I must confess I’m not the target buyer of these kinds of crazy super electric suvs, but it’s indeed a bold looking package and I really hope it succeeds. It may as well carry the brand into places never before and introduce many exciting opportunities ( racing programs and special edition track variants for us petrol heads ).

Hope you guys enjoy!

Last edited:

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That looks pretty sweet. Like you I don’t suspect i’m the target demographic for these but I’ll certainly be admiring them from afar.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
How was the interior ? were you able to see inside or sit inside ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 1.00.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 1.00.43 PM.png
    148 KB · Views: 420
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 1.00.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 1.00.21 PM.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 425

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Guesses on other forums are £55-75k for UK - expected to be two power variants.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Interesting! Personally I have zero use or interest in a 1000 horsepower angular-looking SUV, particularly with what looks like a "beaked" Camaro front end. And 23 inch wheels? Yikes.

Although if it sells well than great, as hopefully it will provide Lotus the funds to continue making desirable sports cars. Not too dissimilar from the Cayenne/Macan being cash cows for Porsche.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That sounds almost too good to be true considering the information shared...sub 3s, 800v architecture, Urus design, rear buckets (as an option)...I'd guess comfortably north of 100K.

Caveat: That's unless they do a Porsche and charge for power folding mirrors :cautious:

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That sounds almost too good to be true considering the information shared...sub 3s, 800v architecture, Urus design, rear buckets (as an option)...I'd guess comfortably north of 100K.

Caveat: That's unless they do a Porsche and charge for power folding mirrors :cautious:
I see them guesses but I really think they are wrong. I would say starting around 85k. Would think has to be slightly more than Polestar 3 and around XC90 electric price as all coming out around(ish) the same time including the Macan

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I see them guesses but I really think they are wrong. I would say starting around 85k. Would think has to be slightly more than Polestar 3 and around XC90 electric price as all coming out around(ish) the same time including the Macan
‘Starting’ can often be a misnomer though.

That aside if the Macan runs sub 3 on that platform then what’ll the (electric) cayman do?

Maybe we’re both right and the two variants have a significant price difference.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I spy with my little eye, the next replacement for the "family" car ... even at a reduced power level / spec , I'd be all over this like a fat man on a cupcake if this can be had circa 60k GBP!

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I spy with my little eye, the next replacement for the "family" car ... even at a reduced power level / spec , I'd be all over this like a fat man on a cupcake if this can be had circa 60k GBP!

I am right there with you

OP
A

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with pricing in UK but that certainly sounds too good to be true. At least for the specs shared they say it go against cayennes, probably even cayenne turbo gt for the 1000 horse version. This is a near 5 meter long 2 meter wide behemoth super suv.
I think they’ll make a smaller macan counter down the line.

Last edited:
OP
A

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
With all that said I do have my doubts for it’s future. First it’s a lotus, a small niche brand know not for luxury and prestige but hard core handling sports cars so old lotus fans is not enough. Secondly although it’s designed in UK engineered in Germany and so on one thing they can’t avoid is it’s made in China. Don’t misunderstand me I’m a Chinese all for my country and I know we have world class factories and labor force that can produce some of best quality auto cars. BMWs produced here is second only to that of Germany quality wise. Teslas you buy these days are probably from the Shanghai super factory. Yet the idea of a China made luxury super SUV with Porsche money will certainly ruffle some feathers around the world, even here in China.
But just like Evija is not what people expected for lotus, it’s a brave new world from now on for lotus. It’s not the safest call but it’s still the best opportunity and type132 is their best attempt to leap into somewhere entirely new and exciting. A opening like switching ICE to electric doesn’t come by every decades so I hope they can make the breakthrough.

Last edited:
OP
A

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
How was the interior ? were you able to see inside or sit inside ?
There isn’t a real car/test mule there for us to experience just some renders&videos. The interior certainly looks futuristic and chic and luxury. Yes you can see some resemblances with zeeker 001 but they all look similar these days. The steering wheel is by far the most impressive piece of equipment in the car, with what looks like billet aluminum switches and hollowed shift paddles and a overall intricate & futuristic design.

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’m glad it’s Cayenne sized cos I don’t need something that size so I won’t be tempted.
(plus the small issue of not being able to afford it in SG)