JUBU Emira 500 Power upgrade

FlashingBlade

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I suppose its subjective. There's someone on here who bought an R8 having cancelled their Emira and they feel its head and shoulders above the Emira. I need to have a go in one because everytime I see a Kemora grey R8 V10, I want it.

The other thing, Komo-Tec offer 460bhp for about £7-8000, that remaining 40bhp becomes very expensive at JUBU. They say the engine is built for 700hp but they limit it to 500 to ensure resilience, fair enough but thats a lot of extra expense to leave on the table.

Last edited:

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I suppose its subjective. There's someone on here who bought an R8 having cancelled their Emira and they feel its head and shoulders above the Emira. I need to have a go in one because everytime I see a Kemora grey R8 V10, I want it.

The other thing, Komo-Tec offer 460bhp for about £7-8000, that remaining 40bhp becomes very expensive at JUBU. They say the engine is built for 700hp but they limit it to 500 to ensure resilience, fair enough but thats a lot of extra expense to leave on the table.
There is also someone on here that bought R8 after canceling Emira and then sold R8. I drive a R8 v10 manual.

Steve24

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I thought the gearbox was more the limiting factor than the engine.

How would the gearbox etc. go with 500hp or would you need to do upgrades there as well?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
There's also the big issue (at least here in the U.S.) of the 500 hp upgrade requiring 98 octane gas. Unless you lived near a track that had race gas, not only would it be hard to find anywhere, I'm sure it would be quite expensive.

From watching videos of Emiras and listening to them as they accelerate, it doesn't look like the car needs more horsepower as much as it needs more torque, especially down low. If a tune could remap the engine to deliver more torque earlier, that would make more of a difference I think than the horsepower at the top of the rpm band. Re-gearing 2nd, 3rd and 4th to lower ratios would help too. That would probably cost less than the 500 hp upgrade, and without all the issues that upgrade brings.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There's also the big issue (at least here in the U.S.) of the 500 hp upgrade requiring 98 octane gas. Unless you lived near a track that had race gas, not only would it be hard to find anywhere, I'm sure it would be quite expensive.

From watching videos of Emiras and listening to them as they accelerate, it doesn't look like the car needs more horsepower as much as it needs more torque, especially down low. If a tune could remap the engine to deliver more torque earlier, that would make more of a difference I think than the horsepower at the top of the rpm band. Re-gearing 2nd, 3rd and 4th to lower ratios would help too. That would probably cost less than the 500 hp upgrade, and without all the issues that upgrade brings.
Fuel ratings in Europe and USA are different as far as I know. 98 RON in Europe is not the same as 98 in the USA. I believe 98 RON in Europe is equivalent to circa 93 AKI in the USA.
See:

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have found that East of Central Texas/Colorado you easily find 93 AKI (R+M)/2 Octane at most every fuel station. It's when you start to get into the higher elevations that the 93 AKI is replace with 91 AKI since the air is thinner and the lower Octane does not produce engine knocking.

Yellow Pins are Gas Stations that offer 93 AKI Fuel.
Blue Pins are Gas Stations that offer higher than 93 AKI Fuel.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 114639.png

🏎️

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I have found that East of Central Texas/Colorado you easily find 93 AKI (R+M)/2 Octane at most every fuel station. It's when you start to get into the higher elevations that the 93 AKI is replace with 91 AKI since the air is thinner and the lower Octane does not produce engine knocking.

Yellow Pins are Gas Stations that offer 93 AKI Fuel.
Blue Pins are Gas Stations that offer higher than 93 AKI Fuel.

View attachment 32033

🏎️
Well THAT'S interesting. I'm in the PNW and the closest station to me is 35 miles away. Guess I just happen to live in a void zone. What does 93 cost in those places that have it?

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In South Carolina, we are currently paying $3.38/gallon for 93 octane.

Last edited:

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Well THAT'S interesting. I'm in the PNW and the closest station to me is 35 miles away. Guess I just happen to live in a void zone. What does 93 cost in those places that have it?
its usually about $1 more than the normal stuff, so averages about $4 per gallon atm

i was told when I bought my bmw that the B58 requires 93 so thats all iv used since

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I get mildly jealous/irritated every time I hear US gas prices... we're sitting pretty on about $7.50 per US gallon over this side of the pond, and just loving it. 😬

I have physically snorted with laughter (and whipped out a tiny violin) in conversations with friends and colleagues in the recent past, bemoaning gas getting above $4, while we choked down prices north of 10 bucks!

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I get mildly jealous/irritated every time I hear US gas prices... we're sitting pretty on about $7.50 per US gallon over this side of the pond, and just loving it. 😬

I have physically snorted with laughter (and whipped out a tiny violin) in conversations with friends and colleagues in the recent past, bemoaning gas getting above $4, while we choked down prices north of 10 bucks!
Price difference is mostly Taxes.... It's your Government asking you not to drive......