Is there a compare and contrast of the FE with the base? Trying to figure out the comparison...

Shyatic

Reaction score
Just like the topic says... I have a BMW M3 on order, but the Emira looks like the car I'd really want. I'd prefer the V6 (since it's a Toyota and will likely outlast the car), with a manual transmission.

Appreciate any thoughts on what folks think, and what the difference is? Also curious if dealers are marking up the car or if it will go for MSRP. I have never owned a Lotus so I figured I'd ask. The BMW M3 I have on order will be at MSRP.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Lotus website explains what is included in the Base Edition and what options are added on top of that for the First Edition.

In the US the V6 FE is sold out, so you’ve got the choice of the AMG i4 FE or the Base Editions of both variants. You’ll be able to add options to Base to get to an almost identical spec as an FE (no FE badge will be the only difference) but it will cost slightly more than the FE, where all options are bundled in at a discount.

Many dealers are prepared to sell at MSRP. Worth shopping around to find one that will do that and confirm it in writing.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Lotus website explains what is included in the Base Edition and what options are added on top of that for the First Edition.

In the US the V6 FE is sold out, so you’ve got the choice of the AMG i4 FE or the Base Editions of both variants. You’ll be able to add options to Base to get to an almost identical spec as an FE (no FE badge will be the only difference) but it will cost slightly more than the FE, where all options are bundled in at a discount.

Many dealers are prepared to sell at MSRP. Worth shopping around to find one that will do that and confirm it in writing.
Welcome. There are quite a few active in this Forum from the Lone Star State. When you call dealers (3) to ask about MSRP also ask about their allocations and depth of the deposit list. Another crucial factor is a reliable sales rep with good communication skills who won't inexplicably disappear in a matter of months.
Otherwise this is your place for answers,, informed opinion, incredible conjecture and occasional humor.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Why do you want to buy an Emira? Serious question.

BTW, I had a F80 M3 comp and replaced it with a 2021 Evora GT. Very different cars.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Not to throw cold water on this but unless you’re willing to pay ADM getting a car before MY24 is at best a crap shoot. Although Lotus won’t release any real numbers the general consensus there are far more deposits in North America than there are allocations for the entire MY23 allocations. And all that assumes they can actually ramp up production as they have yet to deliver any customer cars anywhere in the world.

OP
S

Shyatic

Reaction score
Why do you want to buy an Emira? Serious question.

BTW, I had a F80 M3 comp and replaced it with a 2021 Evora GT. Very different cars.
My midlife crisis mobile idea was always an Evora, though I know it had its own issues/problems. It looks as though the Emira is the more 'livable' version of that which should track/handle well.

The question of course, is whether it's worth the swap? Honestly not sure, but I figure it's worth the look given I have always loved the idea of lightweight cars. The M3 is almost 700-800lbs more than the Emira, so it's something that has piqued my interest.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There are certain compromises with buying a Lotus. Lack of dealer network. Drivetrain (V6) is aging. HP output is sufficient. Interior fit and finish isn’t the best when compared to German rivals.

However what you get is an analog and an engaging sports car that you can’t get from Germany. You get lots of character and drama from the same aging V6. It is reliable. It makes amazing intake and exhaust noises (100% organic too). Hydraulic steering wheel. Awesome chassis and suspension.

Modern German Motorsport cars are nearly perfect, refined and have lots of technology working and helping you in the background. But this makes them boring to drive IMO.

I don’t know what you value more, but know what you are getting into so you are not disappointed. For me, I do miss the practicality and brutality of the M3, but I am happier driving the Lotus (as a second car). It feels special. It feels different. It is a sports car, as opposed to a coupe or a sedan that is heavily modified to behave like a sports car.

OP
S

Shyatic

Reaction score
There are certain compromises with buying a Lotus. Lack of dealer network. Drivetrain (V6) is aging. HP output is sufficient. Interior fit and finish isn’t the best when compared to German rivals.

However what you get is an analog and an engaging sports car that you can’t get from Germany. You get lots of character and drama from the same aging V6. It is reliable. It makes amazing intake and exhaust noises (100% organic too). Hydraulic steering wheel. Awesome chassis and suspension.

Modern German Motorsport cars are nearly perfect, refined and have lots of technology working and helping you in the background. But this makes them boring to drive IMO.

I don’t know what you value more, but know what you are getting into so you are not disappointed. For me, I do miss the practicality and brutality of the M3, but I am happier driving the Lotus (as a second car). It feels special. It feels different. It is a sports car, as opposed to a coupe or a sedan that is heavily modified to behave like a sports car.
A very fair point, and something to consider for myself. I am not mind-made-up yet either, but will keep it in the back of my head as time goes by.

OP
S

Shyatic

Reaction score

This post made me reconsider.

I put a deposit down today on a Red 6MT Touring.

The fact I have another SUV for my kids to jump into was reason enough for me to buy a 2 seat car. Thanks for the help and insight folks. Looking like end of 2023 for delivery, which I'm okay with.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts