Intelligent Speed Assistance/ Legislation

NDL

Reaction score
Perhaps someone on here can give me a definitive answer on the above new legislation that will allegedly be law from 2022.
Is it actually comming into force in May 22 Or, is it being delayed, as no one will actually give you an actual answer!
I did ask the question at the lotus roadshow, but was fobbed off I feel.
I know that there will be a visual/audible warning displayed in the dash if speed limits are exceeded etc, but, as I understand it, the new software will actually reduce power to the engine if warnings are ignored, until the speed limit is achieved, and automatically be applied if passing ‘vulnerable’ sites, eg, schools, hospitals etc.
it’s not that I constantly break speed limits, far from it, but the thought of having ‘Nanny state’ with me wherever I go in a sports car is just sort of making me re-consider!

This was the response in the thread-
The Speed Limiter, fitted as standard that comes with Cruise Control (also fitted as standard) is the traditional Speed Limiter and it is not the one required by the Regulation (EU) 2019/2144. With this you can set an upper speed limit for when driving through roadworks etc.

Further features such as adaptive cruise control and adaptive speed limiting may be fitted as options later in the model life.

as said, it’s Not the one that the legislation is on about, that one will actually directly reduce power to the engine in the event of speed limits being exceed, and will be mandatory from May 22, just as production will be starting, but Lotus would not confirm that they will be fitting it.

This was the response in the thread-
The Speed Limiter, fitted as standard that comes with Cruise Control (also fitted as standard) is the traditional Speed Limiter and it is not the one required by the Regulation (EU) 2019/2144. With this you can set an upper speed limit for when driving through roadworks etc.

Further features such as adaptive cruise control and adaptive speed limiting may be fitted as options later in the model life.

as said, it’s Not the one that the legislation is on about, that one will actually directly reduce power to the engine in the event of speed limits being exceed, and will be mandatory from May 22, just as production will be starting, but Lotus would not confirm that they will be fitting it.
Which is also covered in thread if you read down further....

That’s how I see it.
Only European and Uk even though we are no longer in the EU!

Lotus are arguing it doesn’t apply to the Emira because the car will be homologated before the legislation comes into effect. Approval date is the relevant timing, not first delivery.

It won’t be required in the US.

I suspect it may be needed on the i4, as that’ll almost certainly need separate approval due to the engine variant and hence needing an emissions certification.

Back