I'm out - the cancellations thread

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Saw a new Vantage in person yesterday afternoon on the highway....🤤 Looked even more incredible in person, was a very dark purple color, I instantly considered that I need to cancel my deposit.

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm not sure that's legal even if you have signed something. Especially with the delays
"As a reminder, a 10% non-refundable deposit is due at the time of placing your order. The $1,000 deposit that you previously placed will be applied towards the 10% deposit required. "

In USA here. Maybe its different in UK.

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
After much deliberation I've notified Lotus to cancel my Emira order. It wasn't a decision taken lightly, but I have no regrets and believe I have made the right choice for me. I was never in the market for the Emira, but when it was launched I got caught up in all the hype and placed an early deposit, but what I was really in the market for at the time was a convertible - specifically a Boxster 718 GTS 4.0, that was my first choice. My thinking is that the Boxster isn't getting any younger and is due to be changed to an all electric model in a couple of years, so I really need to enjoy it now. So I've placed a deposit on a really nice lightly used one. My thinking is to enjoy this for a while and if the Emira lives up to the hype I can always place a deposit again for a new one in a couple years when the waiting lists and part supply issues have died down. If the Emira was available as a soft top I would have placed a deposit for that instead, but it wasn't to be.

If anyone has a Nimbus, V6, FE, manual, tour, red leather and red callipers on order, you may jump up the queue. I was told September build.
Ill take it - where are you located!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sounds like a few people starting to give up on an emira now?.
To be expected I think. The delays and poor comms have been frustrating and got people thinking about alternatives, plus we’re now getting close to when first UK people will need to commit to orders. Test drives next month will see others drop out too.

Hard to predict how many will cancel or defer. Even if it’s 10-20%, with a 16 month order book, it’s likely it’ll just shorten the wait. Test drives will see more deposits placed to offset that.

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Honestly I would cancel right now if I didn't have 11k down non refundable. And thats just because of poor communication and being left in the dark. I think the car looks great and I am excited, but I never like to back companies (especially with 100k) that have utter disregard for customers.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
"As a reminder, a 10% non-refundable deposit is due at the time of placing your order. The $1,000 deposit that you previously placed will be applied towards the 10% deposit required. "

In USA here. Maybe its different in UK.
Im sure you are right, but surely there has to be some kind of clause if they break their side and a years unexpected delay has to be taken into account no? What if the car was delayed for 10 years? Still you have to go through with it....? Got to be worth asking for those who really dont want the car any more....

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Why is it so difficult for people to understand the difference between a reservation and an order?

The $2500 “Reservations” were all supposed to be refundable. At least one dealer here in FL basically flipped Lotus their middle finger and demanded a $5000 non-refundable deposit, they didn’t get my business, or many others from what I’ve heard.

When your number comes up and an order is placed with Lotus, some dealers are demanding more money and converting the funds to non-refundable. Others, like mine, convert the reservation to a non-refundable fee but are very careful to not use the word “deposit” because in my state there’s no such thing as a non-refundable “deposit”. If the transaction does not complete all “deposits” are required to be refunded, minus any fees defined within the sales contract.

Asking for more money at the time of order is BS, IMHO, on a car with a 2 year waiting list. If they are even partially competent and you cancel they keep the $2500, slap a $20k ADM on the car and sell it in a week.

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have been leaning towards getting a refund as well, but impatiently waiting for test drive before making final decision. It’s been a good while since the first batch of reviews. Why aren’t more coming to keep the excitement going? A good looking car with a bit of subpar performance, terrible comms, delays, no marketing excitement, etc. I’m having a hard time remembering the days when we were all so damn excited about the Emira.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Now they deprecate but don’t depreciate which I don’t appreciate but do anticipate
well if only you would have precipitated it you could have made a bit of $$ which could have negated some of the $$ of the emira... ok thats enough. Sunday, bored...bday party later

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m in a bit of a spot regarding my reservation. Technically being late to the party, not placing reservation until March, an FE was always off the table but I was given a high degree of confidence I would be able to place an order for a Base car in early to mid 2023 so I placed my reservation with Naples.

That’s where things started to go a bit off the rails. I have never been given a firm, “you are number xxx on the list”. It’s always, “your in the 170ish range.”. The excuse being each salesman only has visibility to their reservation book. I didn’t press it considering a lot will change between March 2022 and mid 2023 when I would be expecting to actually place my order.

Fast forward a few months and now I’m faced with a bit of a conundrum. The market for my current ride, a 2021 718 Spyder has gone nuts. I can place it on consignment at my Porsche dealer and they are confident I can net at least a $30,000 profit over what I paid for it back in Feb 2021. I figured I wouldn’t need to cross this bridge until next year but how long will the Porsche market last? Kind of a bird in the hand thing…..

The conundrum is I’m losing faith that my dealer is being forthcoming and I will see a car in the timeframe they sucked me into the deal with. Until the Emira hit the scene I was content that the Spyder was my end game sports car (I’m old :cool:). I typically keep my modern Porsches for at least 5 - 7 years and I don’t see anything better on the horizon in the sub $150k space. So, I sell what is arguably one of the best mid engine ICE sports cars ever built on the hope I can replace it with a suitable ICE vehicle for less than a king’s ransom. Decisions decisions…….